OT: Weather

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Its absolutely ridiculous. The COE has a current anti driving mandate which is quite clear. To the degree that they seem to be interested in making driving much more difficult by not treating the roads in any way. In fact they've created a lot of this situation with their plow depths which are just leaving enough to be fine curling ice all over the city.

Not a speck of sand and gravel has been seen for nearly a week and after the lightest of dustings were applied.

But the thing is just trying to walk across these sheets of ice is extremely hazardous for pedestrians. Plus in the dark if you fall down on a road somebody probably runs you over. People are barely being able to cross roads without slipping.

However, if you notice, the bike lanes are in perfect condition.

Man they got so bad today, my poor Jeep spun almost right around twice today.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Is trump unpopular over there? I like him, he wants to improve relations with Russia.

I know you're genuinely curious. But like avoid talking about him, its such a divisive issue over here.

The split is about 85-15 with the 85 not liking him (at least in Canada). More people like him in AB and SK than people in ON and QC. The major-ish difference is the 15% is very loud and always ready to fight.

tenor.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
However, if you notice, the bike lanes are in perfect condition.

Man they got so bad today, my poor Jeep spun almost right around twice today.

Haven't had any trouble driving at all. Not city driving anyway. Highways under these conditions would be a whole other matter. But at city speeds I have no trouble with this and don't ever have snow tires.

But walking on these roads? More likelihood of falling and wiping out as a pedestrian, than getting into an accident. The wife and I are avid walkers in all weather and we've both wiped out a couple times this year. I even have Vibram soles. I would elevate to this clip on cleats but can't stand those things falling off at the worst moments or that they lose their cleats through time. Those things are manufactured like junk. There really is no answer to walking in these conditions other than extreme care on icy patches. Don't know how people run or jog on this ice.

Have to say though I've seen a lot better care of sidewalks and people actually doing them this season. props for that.

mini rant. Just yesterday saw a pickup truck boot it through an intersection on a red on a timed count down light. Everybody else just anticipated and stopped. Glare ice all over the place but I guess he figured he had the right away over all else and nobody else matters. Had anybody turned left on that red without looking they would have been creamed by a Truck actually speeding through. Nobody could turn left at the end of the light sequence due to the truck booting through. Little things like that make the difference between safety and mayhem.

Theres no excuse for running a red on a count down light. The city put these in specifically so that drivers can avoid doing that. 90% of drivers appear to drive according to the road conditions but theres no accounting, and apparently no responsibility, involved with the others.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
City admins want their liquid salt play thing back.

Hence the discontinuation of all things proper.

Just curious about another aspect but its been so cold that 2-3 of the LRT rails cracked. Is this some cheap sourced steel or alloy they used or is it a combo of weather, specific alloy, and the brine solution causing problems with the rails.

Being that these build outs usually involve over engineering and exceeding expected challenges how do such thing happen. How do we put in rails that crack at this temp? What were the contributing factors and why were material standards not sufficeint? The COE of course has no idea, yet another LRT fiasco f*** up, and this line through to Century Park only opened 10yrs ago.

One would think materials used here would have to exceed the worst possible conditions and temps here. Why are these rails cracking?

Reactions: tardigrade81

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Haven't had any trouble driving at all. Not city driving anyway. Highways under these conditions would be a whole other matter. But at city speeds I have no trouble with this and don't ever have snow tires.

But walking on these roads? More likelihood of falling and wiping out as a pedestrian, than getting into an accident. The wife and I are avid walkers in all weather and we've both wiped out a couple times this year. I even have Vibram soles. I would elevate to this clip on cleats but can't stand those things falling off at the worst moments or that they lose their cleats through time. Those things are manufactured like junk. There really is no answer to walking in these conditions other than extreme care on icy patches. Don't know how people run or jog on this ice.

Have to say though I've seen a lot better care of sidewalks and people actually doing them this season. props for that.

mini rant. Just yesterday saw a pickup truck boot it through an intersection on a red on a timed count down light. Everybody else just anticipated and stopped. Glare ice all over the place but I guess he figured he had the right away over all else and nobody else matters. Had anybody turned left on that red without looking they would have been creamed by a Truck actually speeding through. Nobody could turn left at the end of the light sequence due to the truck booting through. Little things like that make the difference between safety and mayhem.

Theres no excuse for running a red on a count down light. The city put these in specifically so that drivers can avoid doing that. 90% of drivers appear to drive according to the road conditions but theres no accounting, and apparently no responsibility, involved with the others.
I've ridden my bike and gone for runs over the last few days, and haven't had too much of a problem (though have been called crazy once or twice ;) ). The hard packed snow/ice honestly is much better than the wet and mushy snirt (as we like to call it) when the temps go up into the plusses. Battling against the winds in these kinds of temps however is a whole different story.

Multiuse paths and sidewalks in my neighborhood seem to be fine for running/walking, save for those who don't shovel their sidewalks...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've ridden my bike and gone for runs over the last few days, and haven't had too much of a problem (though have been called crazy once or twice ;) ). The hard packed snow/ice honestly is much better than the wet and mushy snirt (as we like to call it) when the temps go up into the plusses. Battling against the winds in these kinds of temps however is a whole different story.

Multiuse paths and sidewalks in my neighborhood seem to be fine for running/walking, save for those who don't shovel their sidewalks...

To be clear its not the paths or sidewalks that are the problem for pedestrians. (especially older or infirm pedestrians) Its having to traverse glare ice intersections and with moving vehicles around. Anytime you have to cross a road is the problem for pedestrians.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Anyone notice their garage not being full of moisture like the last bunch of years? Likely because no more salt brine coating your car and all that moisture evaporating in the garage. My garage door would be just coated in a sheet of ice from all that moisture.

Hope the age of the salt brine is done for good. I don't care if Don is losing out on a nice kickback.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
To be clear its not the paths or sidewalks that are the problem for pedestrians. (especially older or infirm pedestrians) Its having to traverse glare ice intersections and with moving vehicles around. Anytime you have to cross a road is the problem for pedestrians.
I wont argue with that... they are pretty horrible all around. And add to the fact that a lot of drivers simply don't give a shit about pedestrians....though this is not an exclusively winter phenomenon.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I don’t
Anyone notice their garage not being full of moisture like the last bunch of years? Likely because no more salt brine coating your car and all that moisture evaporating in the garage. My garage door would be just coated in a sheet of ice from all that moisture.

Hope the age of the salt brine is done for good. I don't care if Don is losing out on a nice kickback.
I don’t have a garage :( probably why my car doesn’t start half the time lol.

Reactions: BlackDogg and oobga

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Love that the weather has changed but the M-f 9-5 crowd doesn't get much chance to enjoy it. Went for a walk yesterday morning and it was still bitter cold and with a wind.

Weekend weather seems to suck so often. Not sure whats up with that;)
The thing that I always find amazing is how -15 feels so good after a week of -25 & worse. Went out this morning for an offleash with my dogs and it felt real good. And I am sure a month ago I would have felt freezing.
Kinda like when a guy has had the flu or a bad cold or whatever for a week, and then you don't. It just feels so good.
One of the great things about living here. When its nice (in relative terms) you really appreciate it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The thing that I always find amazing is how -15 feels so good after a week of -25 & worse. Went out this morning for an offleash with my dogs and it felt real good. And I am sure a month ago I would have felt freezing.
Kinda like when a guy has had the flu or a bad cold or whatever for a week, and then you don't. It just feels so good.
One of the great things about living here. When its nice (in relative terms) you really appreciate it.

Yep, its the best climate for that reason and variety.

But the summers are usually gorgeous here and collectively we all appreciate it so much. People here tend to be very playful when the weather is good. In other places they're just bored.

This observation is double sided but living in Edmonton also makes it possible to enjoy visiting so many other places and being a traveller.

Meanwhile if you live in Hawaii, or London, Paris, travel is probably harder to completely enjoy in comparison. You'd have higher built in expectations.

Its kind of the California or in Canada the Lower mainland dynamic, its so crowded there, so expensive there but people don't want to leave because where else would they enjoy?

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Yep, its the best climate for that reason and variety.

But the summers are usually gorgeous here and collectively we all appreciate it so much. People here tend to be very playful when the weather is good. In other places they're just bored.

This observation is double sided but living in Edmonton also makes it possible to enjoy visiting so many other places and being a traveller.

Meanwhile if you live in Hawaii, or London, Paris, travel is probably harder to completely enjoy in comparison. You'd have higher built in expectations.

Its kind of the California or in Canada the Lower mainland dynamic, its so crowded there, so expensive there but people don't want to leave because where else would they enjoy?

Interesting observation.

As I mentioned earlier, I just moved to North Carolina for work. Even though we've got some mild cold here, there's no snow. Had +20 last week but 0 today, and 0 here already feels like -40 back home.

I thought that I'd miss the snowy aesthetic around Christmastime. But oddly enough, I didn't. No black ice...no blizzard crippling the Yellowhead, Whitemud and Henday...no plugging in the car...and better yet, no brutally dried out hands either.

The one downside though is missing Oilers games in October and Eskimos football in summer. Already got tickets to see the boys in Raleigh for Feb. 16.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->