Wearing glasses while playing

Defgarden

Aug 22, 2008
Loma Linda, CA
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you wear eyeglasses while playing hockey. I'm starting up in a beginner league in a few weeks, but I've done some clinics last year, so I have all my gear. Problem is, my glasses would fog up or get sweat all over them, making them somewhat of a hinderance while playing. My eyesight is bad enough that playing without them is near impossible.

Am I pretty much stuck with contacts? I have a pretty bad phobia of putting things in my eye. In fact, it's damned near impossible to get me to put eyedrops in my eye, it's that bad, so the thought of contacts isn't too thrilling. Is there some other magic alternative to getting contact lenses in this situation?

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you wear eyeglasses while playing hockey. I'm starting up in a beginner league in a few weeks, but I've done some clinics last year, so I have all my gear. Problem is, my glasses would fog up or get sweat all over them, making them somewhat of a hinderance while playing. My eyesight is bad enough that playing without them is near impossible.

Am I pretty much stuck with contacts? I have a pretty bad phobia of putting things in my eye. In fact, it's damned near impossible to get me to put eyedrops in my eye, it's that bad, so the thought of contacts isn't too thrilling. Is there some other magic alternative to getting contact lenses in this situation?

You should be OK. Just make sure you pickup the anti-fog spray that is sold at most hockey shops. You spray it on, its a cleaner/anti fog agent that will help prevent your glasses from fogging as you sweat. Otherwise they will fog up quickly.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I play with glasses just fine. I've had some luck with the anti-fog spray, but some of the rinks have bad humidity/cooling and I'll fog while sitting on the bench. Always makes for an interesting change, but by the first stride or two on the ice they've always cleared up.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
I've only been playing a couple of weeks but i'm the same as you - can't see very well without glasses but not keen on contacts. I've been wearing a cage over my glasses and it's worked out completely fine so far.

I've not needed to use any anti-fog spray or anything, nothing really happens to my lenses during a game. But if you're getting sweat on them i guess that's a different matter. Not sure what to suggest there.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Used to, but now usually only with contacts. With a visor, never had much issue with fogging. My visor fogs up more, never my glasses.

I played against some guy that wore glasses and no visor/cage last week in a league game. I thought he was nuts. Just a bad idea waiting to happen.

Defgarden

Aug 22, 2008
Loma Linda, CA
I've only been playing a couple of weeks but i'm the same as you - can't see very well without glasses but not keen on contacts. I've been wearing a cage over my glasses and it's worked out completely fine so far.

I've not needed to use any anti-fog spray or anything, nothing really happens to my lenses during a game. But if you're getting sweat on them i guess that's a different matter. Not sure what to suggest there.

I looked around the internet some more and found that some people use a "skull cap" to keep the sweat out of their faces and eyes. I might look around for that.

I might also try getting a cheap pair of wire frame glasses just for playing. My frames now are fairly large. I guess I'll figure something out one way or another. Thanks for your input guys.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Somebody had to....

http://padresteve.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/slapshot.jpg

slapshot.jpg

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Glasses are fine. Just get some no-fog spray for your lenses and make sure you wear a visor or full cage.
The mere thought of wearing glasses with no visor makes me cringe!

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I've never done anti-fog on my glasses. But I do wear a skullcap which seems to help immensely. It keeps the sweat from running down your forehead onto your glasses and can do some to control the fogging. The less moisture around your face, the less likely fogging will be.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've always worn glasses and never had much of an issue. They would fog every now and then on the bench but 2 or 3 strides once I hop on the ice and they're clear. I do get sweat on them every now and then but never bad enough to hinder my vision. Do you have problems with them fogging up on the ice or do you just get annoyed on the bench? If it just happens on the bench, I suggest just hopping out and skating (maybe during a whistle just to make sure and not put your team at risk) and see if that'll make it clear up.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I wore glasses playing for eight years, never had too much problem.

Of course, I played pretty much the lowest adult level one can play at (Yes, below beer league), it was Called Beginner Adult Rec shinny. My eye hand coordination was terrible, I have a slightly uneven gait(can only cross over right to left) and at 5'6 was smaller and slower than, well, pretty much everyone.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
They make these goggles with your perscripsion if its an issue

Goggles can actually be worse for hockey because they limit airflow.

I tried wearing glasses under my goalie mask and used every anti-fog solution possible and none worked. And, to be honest, it's the best thing that ever happened, as I can see the puck much better with contacts.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I used to wear glasses while playing goal and didn't have any big problems aside from getting sprayed/sweat drops coming down on the lens. Depends on how snug the frames are though, my old pair was fine but a more recent pair kept sliding off my nose when I would make sudden movements. Although it was mildly amusing trying to track the puck with my vision impaired. Switched to contacts full time because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad