Speculation: Weaponizing Cap Space

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If you are going to be a wanker about it you are going to end up on the same ignore list as all the BenningBros.

I totally get the nihlism. I've been there. However, I have to assume that at some point, the team will make some semi logical moves, even if completely by accident.

What you're proposing isn't a type of move to just "happen accidentally" for this management.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
What you're proposing isn't a type of move to just "happen accidentally" for this management.

Schenn - accident
Leivo - accident

I'm suggesting teams are going to be so desperate to move cap that they'll do the heavy lifting of the business case for him and serve it up in a duotang with pretty pictures along with a slide show for ownership.

But seriously, I think the opportunities will come to him and it'll look better to him than doing nothing. Will he take advantage? Dunno.

At this point we just need to hope we make it through the Simmonds, Ferland, Myers minefield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: timw33

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
PG...we know there haven't been any.

Exactly, so why would we think this kind of deal could happen accidentally. If they were going to do this type of deal, it would've happened years ago, but I don't think the management quite grasps this concept. They've been too focused on using dead cap space for FA signings instead. It would've been ideal to do this 1-2 years ago and have those additional draft picks from taking on a bad contract, 1-2 years into development.

Benning is looking at a Eriksson for Lucic deal, and that's probably as close as we'll see him ever weaponize cap space, even though we get the worse player and worse contract.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Exactly, so why would we think this kind of deal could happen accidentally. If they were going to do this type of deal, it would've happened years ago, but I don't think the management quite grasps this concept. They've been too focused on using dead cap space for FA signings instead. It would've been ideal to do this 1-2 years ago and have those additional draft picks from taking on a bad contract, 1-2 years into development.

Benning is looking at a Eriksson for Lucic deal, and that's probably as close as we'll see him ever weaponize cap space, even though we get the worse player and worse contract.

Explained above. I think other GMs could build the business case for him. Tampa, Calgary, Vegas and Toronto. All candidates. They know he has room and know the owner has deep pockets. I think he could get sold on deals that are genuinely beneficial for us and them.

I agree he is not smart enough to get there on his own.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
giphy (3).gif
I am sorry. I was wrong. Even when offered gifts...they still f*** it up.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We can probably close this thread since the organization clearly has no intention of participating in any activities you might refer to as "weaponizing cap space."

Hey man the Miller trade proves that Benning had indeed learned to weaponize cap space.

He turned his own cap space into a pistol then shot himself in the foot with it.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
yeah so I missed this thread (which is a good one I think, despite it's utter irrelevance for this management group), and it's super depressing to post in here after we essentially did the opposite by paying a premium to help someone relieve their own cap issues.

But, we've done that consistently in the past so whatevs...

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Imho punching myself in the face daily when I wake up would be less painful for the rest of my life than following this team. Daft John “Yultron” Weisbrod in the other thread about the trade but here this has been here for days and he didn’t even take a peak. All that hope his presence here would maybe help.

Reactions: infinitemile

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Could have done the same Leafs deal that they did with the Canes and then flipped the Leafs 1st for Miller. Mindboggling how braindead these idiots are. The thought probaby didn't even cross Benning's mind. Someone could have suggested it and he's the type of guy who would sigh and mumble "sounds too complicated".

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Could have done the same Leafs deal that they did with the Canes and then flipped the Leafs 1st for Miller. Mindboggling how braindead these idiots are. The thought probaby didn't even cross Benning's mind. Someone could have suggested it and he's the type of guy who would sigh and mumble "sounds too complicated".

You could say that about 10 other teams could of made that deal as well. 2 million cap space the next 2 years with the buyout. Leafs just need one dance partner and not ten.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Weaponising cap space over the last 5 years could have brought in multiple firsts but none of those firsts would have helped Benning compete in that next season. Benning wants to compete next year, so you are bang on, he's not doing it this offseason either.

Weaponizing cap space doesn't usually get a 1st. So what players are you talking about that could of got a 1st?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
You could say that about 10 other teams could of made that deal as well. 2 million cap space the next 2 years with the buyout. Leafs just need one dance partner and not ten.

I think it would have been the full 6.25m cap hit for this season as it was a 35+ contract. Anyway, Benning was never going to do this, remember a year ago or so he wouldn't take on dead cap as he prefer to spend it on players he could use instead.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just wait, we'll soon find ourselves in a situation where WE are dumping cap space and end up having to package assets to dump it, instead of the opposite.

Give up assets to help other team relieve cap space, give up assets to relieve our own cap space.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad