Weaponized cap space?

Should cap space be weaponized, if yes, how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Offer sheets don't make a ton of sense with as bad as we are. You're giving up a top 5 pick if you offer-sheet. I just cannot see us being active there, it would be interesting if we offer-sheeted Tampa though, they would know they control a top 5 pick so with them in their situation they might actually be more okay letting an offer-sheet happen from us than others.

Sergachev for #4 had a decent amount of traction among Detroit fans about a month ago.
And #4 might as well be #1 next year, unfortunately. Also, the problem with next year's draft is, who knows how much time we're even going to get to evaluate the talent?

$6.08M is the max for the compensation of a 1st and a 3rd.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sergachev entering prime will fit to our core better than any defenceman from 2021 draft.

Latest signings have proven that defencemen are possible to sign cheap if a short-term deal.

Tampa also has Hedman and McDonagh signed for +5 years and they log the left side major minutes.

It's very interesting situation, they have better chances to keep Sergachev, but Cirelli is maybe more important, and becomes more overpaid too soon.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sergachev for #4 had a decent amount of traction among Detroit fans about a month ago.
And #4 might as well be #1 next year, unfortunately. Also, the problem with next year's draft is, who knows how much time we're even going to get to evaluate the talent?

$6.08M is the max for the compensation of a 1st and a 3rd.

You keep shitting on the 2021 draft.

Pre draft last year most pundits would not have taken Lafreniere over Hughes. Tim Stutzle wasn’t considered a lock top 10. Marco Rossi was nearly draft eligible and had half the production and likely wouldn’t have been a first round pick. Jake Sanderson was completely off the radar.

Shit changes...like a lot in the next year. We’ve got Power, Hughes, Johnson, Raty, just to name a few.

Just to illustrate the potential that exists:

Kent Johnson (10/18 birthday) D-1 Year in BCHL:
52 games, 41 goals, 60 assists

Alex Newhook (1/28 birthday) D year in BCHL:
53 games, 38 goals, 64 assists

Johnson produced the same level while being, what, 8 months(?) younger than Newhook? And Newhook looks like one of the under-drafted talents from that 2019 draft class.

Be patient. Not having a marquee, clear #1 pick doesn’t make it a bad class.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Pre draft last year most pundits would not have taken Lafreniere over Hughes. Tim Stutzle wasn’t considered a lock top 10. Marco Rossi was nearly draft eligible and had half the production and likely wouldn’t have been a first round pick. Jake Sanderson was completely off the radar.

Shit changes...like a lot in the next year. We’ve got Power, Hughes, Johnson, Raty, just to name a few.

Johnson produced the same level while being, what, 8 months(?) younger than Newhook? And Newhook looks like one of the under-drafted talents from that 2019 draft class.

Uhh, there was a very strong belief that if Lafreniere had been eligible in 2019 he would've gone over Hughes. And how much to you expect things to change? Considering the outlook on a full season of college or junior hockey is looking extremely grim.

The ability to evaluate talent for the 2021 draft is likely gonna be extremely difficult.

Reactions: avssuc

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

This whole "draft this year based on next year's draft class" is insane.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This whole "draft this year based on next year's draft class" is insane.

We can’t even conclusively make a comment on the 2020 draft class as being good or bad. Trying to make grandiose statements on 2021 when kids entered the season as 16 year olds...I just feel like it’s a massive discredit to those kids and the developments they will make between 16-17 and 17-18.

I understand next year will be goofy for scouting, but that’s a different discussion all together. Something we will need to address in June 2021, and in the meantime we just hope and pray that it gets righted before it becomes a problem.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Caphit estimates from evolwing-hockey

- Alex Pietrangelo - UFA - 9.1M
- Torey Krug - UFA - 7.3M
- Tyson BArrie - UFA - 7.1M
- Anthony Mantha - RFA - 6.5M
- Mikhail Sergachev - RFA - 6.5M
- Mikael Granlund - UFA - 6.5M
- Anthony Cirelli - RFA - 5.8M
- Tyler Bertuzzi - RFA - 5.3M
- TJ Brodie - UFA - 4.9M
- Erik Haula - 4.3M

Too bad they didn't predict any goalies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You threaten Capspace Offer Sheets to RFA/UFA's by claiming they're in the works (via media), but never actually make one, making other GM's scared into a doubly vexing cap casualty trade.

Muawhahahaha

Is the whole post a joke, not sure based on the laugh at the end? If the initial was true, I think saying you are offer-sheeting someone is circumvention, is it not?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sergachev entering prime will fit to our core better than any defenceman from 2021 draft.
Honestly... what core? Our core of elite almost-first-liners? The last place in the league ones? Our elite group of guys who haven't made an impact at the NHL level yet? We need to cool it and stop trying to jump the gun. Our rebuild is not guaranteed, and there are definitely some unexpected busts coming our way. Without that pick next year, we might not even *have* a core.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly... what core? Our core of elite almost-first-liners? The last place in the league ones? Our elite group of guys who haven't made an impact at the NHL level yet? We need to cool it and stop trying to jump the gun. Our rebuild is not guaranteed, and there are definitely some unexpected busts coming our way. Without that pick next year, we might not even *have* a core.

How were you able to miss the whole point?

Just re-think it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
How were you able to miss the whole point?

Just re-think it.
You agreed with trading/offer sheeting our guaranteed top 5 pick next year for Mikhail Sergachev. Right after our recordbreakingly awful season. You justified this by saying that he's older, so he fits the age of our "core," and that we could probably sign him cheaply.

That is absolutely insane. If that's your point, I think you should try again. We could ask San Jose how this kind of move works out. And they weren't nearly as bad at the time of the trade...

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You agreed with trading/offer sheeting our guaranteed top 5 pick next year for Mikhail Sergachev. Right after our recordbreakingly awful season. You justified this by saying that he's older, so he fits the age of our "core," and that we could probably sign him cheaply.

That is absolutely insane. If that's your point, I think you should try again. We could ask San Jose how this kind of move works out. And they weren't nearly as bad at the time of the trade...

Insane... ehh. Maybe you can disagree. But saying it's insane is... insane. :D

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Scouting should be pretty crazy, but other than that, I agree. I wonder if distance scouting hurts some teams more than others? Might the Wings have an advantage here by having the deeply established scouts in Europe?

Is the whole post a joke, not sure based on the laugh at the end? If the initial was true, I think saying you are offer-sheeting someone is circumvention, is it not?

I think he was half joking. Though 3 years of a 'sudden' flat cap might make for some interesting battles between opposing GMs and teams.

In terms of your original question, I just stole the term from the Hockey Guy on YouTube. Basically it implies that you avoid signing any big name FAs, and use the saved cap space to take salary dumps in exchange for draft picks and prospects.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Caphit estimates from evolwing-hockey

- Torey Krug - UFA - 7.3M
- Tyson BArrie - UFA - 7.1M
- Anthony Mantha - RFA - 6.5M
- Mikhail Sergachev - RFA - 6.5M
- Mikael Granlund - UFA - 6.5M
- Anthony Cirelli - RFA - 5.8M
- Tyler Bertuzzi - RFA - 5.3M
- TJ Brodie - UFA - 4.9M
- Erik Haula - 4.3M

Too bad they didn't predict any goalies.
I'm spot on for Brodie @4.9. Cirelli @5.8too. Mantha, ok. Bert ok.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Saw the Hockey Guy talking about this today so I thought I'd bring it up here. You should be able to select 2 answers, change them as you like.

With the CBA not doing cap strapped teams any favors for the next 3 years, the Wings are in a position to add some nice futures if they think that's best for the rebuild.

So I'm curious what you fine people have to say about this...

-What players and teams do you folks see working with the Wings (best fits)?

-What 'current' prospects (like Puljujarvi if the Wings take Neal) might be targets for the Wings?

-Will the new CBA really up the price of cap dumps?

-If so, what might the Wings be able to get if they went all in?

I want the Wings to explore every option possible.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would be interested if Sargachev for #4 started gaining traction.

On a side note I pretty much ignore the whole good draft bad draft claims that come up every season, it's been wrong so many times its just a ridiculous unsubstantiated claim that grows legs every upcoming draft year. No one can know how 16 17 and 18 year olds are going to develop. They can literally develop exponentially in a matter of months.

Reactions: Mijatovic

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More I do a reserach about that 2021 draft, it looks decent after the Top5, compared to 2020. The top picks just aren't clear and there's more D in the mix at Top20.

When it's again as unprobable, than we would win the lottery, it's just fine that there's equal quality players at 5th-10th pick range.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Look, that's a big number, but...

If Doug Armstrong and the Blues get cute and don't want to pay that, I'm going to be insanely disappointed if Yzerman doesn't step up and offer it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Look, that's a big number, but...

If Doug Armstrong and the Blues get cute and don't want to pay that, I'm going to be insanely disappointed if Yzerman doesn't step up and offer it.
I'd prefer to put $5M on Brodie and another $4-5M on a Gustafson / Vatanen / Schultz, but I'm not mad at ya. That $9M would buy a whole lot of stability.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
In net, my first option would be a price check on Lehner. He'd be an instant and massive upgrade, but I don't know how many teams will be chasing him, versus Holtby or other guys.

Option 2 would be to roll with a Bernier / Halak tandem, and whomever has the hot hand plays.

Then I think there's a goalie rated somewhere in the first round of the draft, but nobody would be crazy enough to use #4 on a netminder, right? :D

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Anybody, raise your hand if this screams, "need 2 more actual NHL defensemen".

I have very high hopes for Seider, but that's all the more reason to give him more stability to develop in. I really hope Detroit adds some decent blue liners to the mix before next season.
Agreed, I think Yzerman will sign one or two veteran defensemen to short-term deals.

Bouwmeester? Gudas? Sekera?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->