Weaponized cap space?

Should cap space be weaponized, if yes, how much?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't know that not signing any FA's is an option.

Wouldn't that make our blueline Dekeyser, Hronek, Nemeth, Biega, Cholowski... maybe call up Seider? (which seems like a bad idea to pair him with most of that group of defenders)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
There will games enough games also for him. 7th D usually plays ~57 games on average per 82.

He can be in AHL still. If there's no AHL we can send Seider to Mannheim, and let Bowey/Cholo/Biega be 5-6-7.

Just world full of options, not problems.
Does Seider have an NHL out clause when loaned to Mannheim? I would think so, but don't remember.

Reactions: avssuc

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't know that not signing any FA's is an option.

Wouldn't that make our blueline Dekeyser, Hronek, Nemeth, Biega, Cholowski... maybe call up Seider? (which seems like a bad idea to pair him with most of that group of defenders)
DDK-Hronek
Nemeth-Seider
Cholowski/Biega-Lindstrom

Yes, I'm aware Biega is RHD, but I think he played some shifts/parts of games/LD, did he not?

I'd like to see a Brodie (LHS on RD primarily) 3yrs. * $4.79, but no more $ or term. We'd have 2 2nd pairings.

DDK-Hronek
Brodie-Seider
Nemeth-Lindstrom

Cholo/Biega

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
DDK-Hronek
Nemeth-Seider
Cholowski/Biega-Lindstrom

Yes, I'm aware Biega is RHD, but I think he played some shifts/parts of games/LD, did he not?

Then if DDK goes down with an injury, Cholowski starts playing poorly after half a season. Oof. The Wings may not surpass their wins from this season.

And I don't know that it's good for Seider's development for him to get destroyed night in and night out.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Then if DDK goes down with an injury, Cholowski starts playing poorly after half a season. Oof. The Wings may not surpass their wins from this season.

And I don't know that it's good for Seider's development for him to get destroyed night in and night out.
see my last post edit.

This looks like the best thing for the Red Wings & a few other teams.
1. Just as 3 key RFAs are coming up for their renewal or bridge, the timing is impeccable.

2. Plus gives us advantage of weaponized cap space (cap dumps & or cap casualties + picks/prospects/young NHLers).

3. UFAs have less options & we can outbid if needed, without going overboard.

4. Keeps our own negotiations within reason, i.e. if Mantha asked for the Moon, $8Mx7-8yrs.

5. We'll undoubtedly see some buy-low type trade offers for RFAs of other teams that wanna get paid, but can't fit & are rumored to be considering wanting to see/get Offer Sheets. And/Or, offer sheets facilitate other cap dump/casualty scenarios to nix the OS.

If SY can somehow snag Cirelli or Serg that'd be a huge feather in his cap.

Last edited:

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
The main priority should be contracts to our RFAs, and cap management to fit Larkin’s raise 2024. The second priority should be aquiring talent that could provide elements which would make the team more competative. If the second priority doesn’t pan out, I would be all for taking on negative value contracts combined with picks

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is Brodie a big name? I feel like he's a medium name. An experienced vet who can usher in Seider and play close to home. He probably wants to win, though.

Highly doubt he signs in Detroit

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Brodie is kinf o stabilizer, like Dekeyser and Nemeth. But because we have Dekeyser and Nemeth, I'd like to prefer adding skill LhD (Krug) for better mix and go right size with our current guys/kids. Those are also a good mix.
I considered Dekeyser alread being in that role, but can you really count on him being healthy? Not sure.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Mentioned this in a different thread.

If Vancouver is cash strapped and entertaining moving Boeser, that would be the time to weaponize the cap space

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

If Vancouver is cash strapped and entertaining moving Boeser, that would be the time to weaponize the cap space
Ya wonder if something like 2 second round picks (2020 and 2021) for boeser and Loui Erikson works

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No way are we paying 2 2nds. LE is 2yrs$12Mcap/$8M Salary. BB+LE Dump for 21 2nd+5th + b-level prospect (Mastrosimone level F). Capspace is the New, new Gold Standard. Van needs cap, we're Gold.

They don’t need the cap THAT bad that they are going to lump Boeser with a cap dump player that would reduce their return to a future 2nd and a meh forward prospect.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There will games enough games also for him. 7th D usually plays ~57 games on average per 82.

He can be in AHL still. If there's no AHL we can send Seider to Mannheim, and let Bowey/Cholo/Biega be 5-6-7.

Just world full of options, not problems.

Priority #1 for me on LD this year is Cholowski taking a regular shift.
I like Brodie, but I'm not interested in signing him with our current group of defense unless he's been used on the right side.

Not a chance in hell do I sign Torey Krug. The last thing this team needs is a 5'9 defenseman who gets caught underwater on a good Bruins team. Especially one asking for $49M.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
You threaten Capspace Offer Sheets to RFA/UFA's by claiming they're in the works (via media), but never actually make one, making other GM's scared into a doubly vexing cap casualty trade.

Muawhahahaha
I think next year there is a strong chance a team offer sheets a player for more than another team can afford and it causes either a desperate trade or the other team takes the picks. Vancouver has to sign both Quinn Hughes, Pettersson, and Demko next off season, for instance. This is why I think they are dangling Boeser now; they don't want one of their elite young players getting picked off next off season.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They don’t need the cap THAT bad that they are going to lump Boeser with a cap dump player that would reduce their return to a future 2nd and a meh forward prospect.
No, of course not. But they'd pay to be able to keep Boeser, most likely. My understanding is Vancouver thinks he could get in the way of re-signing other guys, hence the shopping him around. Offer to take Eriksson and that's not as much a problem.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Given that next year's draft absolutely sucks, I half wonder if it'd be worth offer sheeting somebody... NYI would certainly match $8.1M for Barzal, but there are others that are interesting. Tampa could likely not match an offer on Cirelli or Sergachev. ($6M for Sergachev?)

Detroit's 1st would be high next year, but the draft is just brutal. And a U22 defensive group of Hronek, Sergachev, Seider, McIsaac, and potentially Drysdale would be incredible.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

If we pass on Askarov, I want Demko in any discussion with Vancouver. Want to get rid of Loui Eriksson, the price is Demko. If we want to actually give something to go after Boeser too, fine I doubt we have much, but I think they will sign Markstrom and once they do they also have the reality of Demko being the goalie in Seattle next year. So I think we can pry him out while taking on two years of that contract.

St. Louis and Vancouver to me are our better options as much as we talk about Tampa I think most of their guys have an actual value while going and I don't like what is in their system by in large. I think we can get assets we need out of the Blues and Canucks. Bozak would probably be my target on the Blues assuming we can get Demko, if not you can also chase Allen as a stopgap in goal for Detroit to give St. Louis some cap breathing room.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Given that next year's draft absolutely sucks, I half wonder if it'd be worth offer sheeting somebody... NYI would certainly match $8.1M for Barzal, but there are others that are interesting. Tampa could likely not match an offer on Cirelli or Sergachev. ($6M for Sergachev?)

Detroit's 1st would be high next year, but the draft is just brutal. And a U22 defensive group of Hronek, Sergachev, Seider, McIsaac, and potentially Drysdale would be incredible.

Offer sheets don't make a ton of sense with as bad as we are. You're giving up a top 5 pick if you offer-sheet. I just cannot see us being active there, it would be interesting if we offer-sheeted Tampa though, they would know they control a top 5 pick so with them in their situation they might actually be more okay letting an offer-sheet happen from us than others.

Reactions: Astyanax

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Offer sheets don't make a ton of sense with as bad as we are. You're giving up a top 5 pick if you offer-sheet. I just cannot see us being active there, it would be interesting if we offer-sheeted Tampa though, they would know they control a top 5 pick so with them in their situation they might actually be more okay letting an offer-sheet happen from us than others.

And Sergaechev would be a massive add for us.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This proably is THE TIME to add UFA. Because many won't fit on contenders. So then they should consider teams which turn to rise soon.

With rising cap the hunting for opportunity + success + money would have been likely destination for many. Now you can't get everything for sure.

Now that's changed, and I believe we will see different kind of UFA market behaviour than in the past.

I just don't agree, UFA usually look to sign at a premium and players that are truly valuable are not going to do 2-3 year deals. If we are not careful UFA contracts will crowd out the core and in a worst case make it so we have to let players go when their payday comes. Like what if someone offer sheets Larkin. We don't want to be against the cap just to have stability on the roster when we don't need it. No FA is going to fix this team, and any FA is going to be aging and overpaid by the time their talent would really count. They will just consume cap for the purpose of consuming cap. It's better to put that cap to a purpose than putting a band aid on the roster. What if a UFA comes up next season or the season after that which is perfect for the roster then you already tied up your cap just to be mediocre now.

At some point we were going to have to pay the price for chasing the playoff streak. We can either pay it now or continue to kick the can down the road but at some point we pay it. We can either pay it by allowing this period of weak hockey to play itself out. Or we can pay it by never being a contendor because we UFA bandaided our way out of going through that.

Reactions: Darkseider

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And Sergaechev would be a massive add for us.

I wonder if he would actually be the target of the two big ones down in Tampa. I could see us chasing Cirelli first, he is like a perfect guy to pair with Zadina and Perfetti...

My problem is just I cannot put up the first round pick next season, I just cannot justify that. Like for Sergaechev, I don't think he is going to be better than Luke Hughes or some of the other big boy d-man when it is all said and done. But I am not sure what the plan would be, you have to give up your pick though. I wouldn't do it this year, and I would never do it in 2022 because of the talent in that draft. You might offer it up in 2021, but I think that is a top 5 pick and watching that all of next season while we are getting our butt kicked a decent amount would be really tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad