Post-Game Talk (GBU): We Woke Up. The dream was better.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Given his ability to pound it on net, using him primarily in the Stammer spot with Reinhart as NFP works. That means they need someone to lay the biscuit to him in his wheelhouse and someone else on the other side to distribute. The pair of creative left-shot players they have to plug in on that hub role though would mean Phil would have to be willing to let rookies make mistakes on the top unit. Considering the vets are already making mistakes on that unit... why not, right?

Agree. If it's not working with all vets, then let the kids have a try.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd go:

PP1
NFP: Reinhart
LHW: Eichel
RHW: Dahlin
Point: Ristolainen
Slot: Skinner

Edit: let Eichel and Reinhart pass front side, and they can shift to back side with Dahlin. When Reinahrt slides over, that makes Eichel the back side. Lots of possibilities here.

PP2
NFP: Pominville
LHW: Thompson
RHW: Mittelstadt
Point: Pilut
Slot: Okposo

Edit: Pilut and Mittelstadt play catch with Thompson and Okposo as the shooters.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't disagree. If they are letting Eichel QB the PP, it might make sense to put Dahlin on the right half wall on his off hand and let Ristolainen shoot from the point. Skinner in the slot.

That also lets Pilut get some 2nd PP unit time. Mittelstadt on the right half wall, Thompson on the left half wall. Okposo in the slot. Pominville net front.
Not bad ideas with Jack QBing the PP. But I feel the fundamental problem is the fact that Jack is QBing the PP.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not bad ideas with Jack QBing the PP. But I feel the fundamental problem is the fact that Jack is QBing the PP.

I think this set up let's both happen. Eichel and Reinhart play catch front side. When they reverse to Dahlin on the back side, and Reinhart shifts over, then that becomes the front side and Eichel transitions to the shooting hole. And there's always Skinner in the slot and Ristolainen at the point. I think it gives the PK a lot to think about.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agree. If it's not working with all vets, then let the kids have a try.

I may be becoming anachronistic, but I'm at the point that if I were coach, I'd but BLG out there with Dahlin and Risto on the points. Tell the forwards to chip-and-chase, mine the corners just like they do every ES shift and let Dahlin work from the top of the umbrella to create while the rest converge on the net. Jam the crease, just to do something completely different. And if it fails... well, it was something.

The 2nd unit is just as big of a mess as the top five.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I may be becoming anachronistic, but I'm at the point that if I were coach, I'd but BLG out there with Dahlin and Risto on the points. Tell the forwards to chip-and-chase, mine the corners just like they do every ES shift and let Dahlin work from the top of the umbrella to create while the rest converge on the net. Jam the crease, just to do something completely different. And if it fails... well, it was something.

The 2nd unit is just as big of a mess as the top five.

I think the problem is that the team is very one-dimensional and easy to defend, for all their talent, on the PP. That's why I'd put Dahlin on the right half wall. It allows the PP to morph into something different on the reversal of the puck.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is it because Dahlin is young he wont shoot? I wish that they would get Dahlin the puck on the point and rotate Risto back to cover and let Dahlin take a wrist shot when he moves in close then Eichel and Reinhart can pick up the rebound. Seems solid to me.
I’m not sure what you’re asking there. Are you asking if thats why I think he would great at QBing the PP? If so the answer is no, thats not why. He’d be perfect because of how well he sees the ice and his skating would allow him to move around while as he dissects the defensive coverage. He’s also excellent at getting his shot on goal. All these things would help eventually breakdown their coverage. Add in Jack lurking on the left half wall and Sam in front and we got something potentially very deadly.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the problem is that the team is very one-dimensional and easy to defend, for all their talent, on the PP. That's why I'd put Dahlin on the right half wall. It allows the PP to morph into something different on the reversal of the puck.

Yep. I have advocated for swapping KO with Dahlin previously for similar reasons, mostly in GDT's while watching the flail fail that is the Sabres' nightly power(less)play. (And again, the caveat that I don't mind what KO is doing at even strength, just that he's not been good on PP1.)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My goalie perspective on the PP set up.

When Eichel is front side with the puck, he's almost never passing to Skinner in the slot. It's going to Reinhart low or back to Ristolainen. So, I'm at a conservative depth, knowing Eichel might pick a corner, but not likely. Back side with Okposo is easy, because he never catches and shoots. It's a lot of cradle and shift before shooting. Skinner in dangerous in the slot, but really only when Reinhart gets the puck low.

If you replace Okposo with Dahlin, the dynamic completely changes. The same dynamic with Eichel on front side exists. But with Dahlin back side, he's a much higher threat than Okposo because he can deke as well as make the tough pass. Once Dahlin becomes front side, Skinner becomes more of a threat from the slot, and Eichel isa huge shooting threat back side.

As a goalie, I'd be really happen Dahlin isn't backside. It's Karlsson's position on the PP, and it's why it's so dangerous.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not to beat a dead horse but the reason they are easy to defend is becasue Jack is QBing the PP. He is killing it while he moves around with the puck with everyone else floating waiting for a pass. Until that changes I don’t think it matters who is out with him.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I’m not sure what you’re asking there. Are you asking if thats why I think he would great at QBing the PP? If so the answer is no, thats not why. He’d be perfect because of how well he sees the ice and his skating would allow him to move around while as he dissects the defensive coverage. He’s also excellent at getting his shot on goal. All these things would help eventually breakdown their coverage. Add in Jack lurking on the left half wall and Sam in front and we got something potentially very deadly.
I am asking why is he not shooting the puck more he is always passing off...ok not always but more than he should

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not to beat a dead horse but the reason they are easy to defend is becasue Jack is QBing the PP. He is killing it while he moves around with the puck with everyone else floating waiting for a pass. Until that changes I don’t think it matters who is out with him.

Putting Dahlin out there can fix that problem, though. Everyone knows our PP runs through Jack and Jack alone. You put a 2nd guy out there who can QB, and now the defending players can't just put their undivided attention on Eichel.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
For now, it's probably fair to say that when Eichel, Reinhart and Skinner are bad, and especially when Eichel is as bad as he was last night, this team is likely to get beat tf down by any team in the league.

GBU:

G:
Eichel's two goals were nice, and fun...it was a much simpler time...back then (the first period of this game)
Ullmark's glove save was very nice, and very fun
Only 3 Sabres were NOT on the ice for a 5v5 goal against: Mittelstadt, Sheary and Pominville. Stick tap to them
Ivan Provorov was so ridiculously dominant that I have to mention him
Claude Giroux and Gritty, I guess

B:
could have drafted Konecny with the pick used to acquire *long, audible sigh* Lehner
most of the Sabres (10 of them) were on the ice for 2 ES goals against

U:
Sabres d-zone coverage
the League directing officials to allow more obstruction and to call fewer penalties, overall

Tage Thompson Category:
He did his thing...30% CF

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Putting Dahlin out there can fix that problem, though. Everyone knows our PP runs through Jack and Jack alone. You put a 2nd guy out there who can QB, and now the defending players can't just put their undivided attention on Eichel.

I’m talking about changing PP tactics/strategy and you are talking about the personnel implimenting the current strategy. The current strategy is the biggest issue right now. Jack isn’t holding onto the puck as long as he is because there is no one else that can QB the PP. He’s doing it because he’s being told to do so as a PP strategy.

When we had the best PP in the NHL the reason Jack didn’t hold onto the puck was because the PP wasn’t designed that way. It was designed for him to either crank off a shot or move the puck to someone else if the shot isn’t there. Then work to get set up for the shot again. Rinse repeat for success. He rarely held onto the puck like he is now because they weren’t asking him to do that. It doesn’t require a player like Dahlin to get back to that set up since we did it without him two season ago. It requires the coaching staff to commit to a better strategy.

Don’t get me wrong. Dahlin on the unit is better than him not on it. But I don’t see that as maximizing the players we have in the same way a change in tactics will. I see it as potentially getting more out of a flawed set up than would have been the case otherwise.

Dahlin was out on PP1 before with Jack and they were still taking this approach of jack holding onto the puck and the PP struggled. The one time they didn’t (at least in terms of moving the puck around) was when Jack, Dahlin and Mitts were an umbrella of sorts on the PP. In that instance those 3 were whipping the puck around pretty well and quickly. But IIRC they didn’t score while looking dangerous so that set up was dropped.

Last edited:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I’m talking about changing PP tactics/strategy and you are talking about the personnel implimenting the current strategy. The current strategy is the biggest issue right now. Jack isn’t holding onto the puck as long as he is because there is no one else that can QB the PP. He’s doing it because he’s being told to do so as a PP strategy.

When we had the best PP in the NHL the reason Jack didn’t hold onto the puck was because the PP wasn’t designed that way. It was designed for him to either crank off a shot or move the puck to someone else if the shot isn’t there. Then work to get set up for the shot again. Rinse repeat for success. He rarely held onto the puck like he is now because they weren’t asking him to do that. It doesn’t require a player like Dahlin to get back to that set up since we did it without him two season ago. It requires the coaching staff to commit to a better strategy.

Don’t get me wrong. Dahlin on the unit is better than him not on it. But I don’t see that as maximizing the players we have in the same way a change in tactics will. I see it as potentially getting more out of a flawed set up than would have been the case otherwise.

Dahlin was out on PP1 before with Jack and they were still taking this approach of jack holding onto the puck and the PP struggled. The one time they didn’t (at least in terms of moving the puck around) was when Jack, Dahlin and Mitts were an umbrella of sorts on the PP. In that instance those 3 were whipping the puck around pretty well and quickly. But IIRC they didn’t score while looking dangerous so that set up was dropped.

I believe the Avs have the best PP in the NHL right now. Barrie is the QB but they use the delay entry pass and carry via MacKinnon to enter the zone. He drops it to Landeskog just inside the blue line who then moves it over to Barrie at the umbrella apex. Landeskog makes for the net, Rantanen and MacKinnon are at the tops of the circles or move along the side boards. Its all about 1 timers from the back side. Landeskog screens. Barrie directs the movement of the puck. Wilson (Wilson?? Say what???) occupies the slot keeping the PK honest.

It would be very simple for the Sabres to implement this same exact system. They have the talent, skill set and personnel. Agree it requires a change in strategy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tampa is also well-schooled in executing a 1-3-1 power play akin to the Avs. Get that on tape and get after it boys!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In seeing the recent slide, it should really be unsuprising. Young teams are known for running hot and cold.

We're a young team.

I'll take it over being consistently bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad