Post-Game Talk (GBU): We Woke Up. The dream was better.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Sam has created plenty of offense himself during this stretch, so your thinly veiled "Sam is living off Jack" post is nonsense.
I've noticed improvement in Reinhart's game since day 1 this year. Particularly with his skating. To me, a little stronger and quicker. Only problem is when he's on Eichel and Skinner line, we barely notice his improved skating ability.

I'd like to see him centering Thompson and Mittelstadt. Line might actually be a threat

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Going back to the beginning of the 2nd period in Tampa, we've scored one goal with a line other than Eichel's on the ice in the last 14 periods (plus about 8 OT minutes). And that was Thompson's 3rd period goal against the Lightning. A non-Eichel line hasn't scored a goal in four games.

So perhaps we should spend a little less time whining about one of the two forwards actually pulling their weight during this slump, and worry a bit more about the other three lines who aren't doing ****, or the coach whose strategy to get off this shnide is to continue banging his head against the wall by trying to win hockey games with one functioning line.
The math on keeping Reinhart on the top line isn't great. Sobotka is a 25% goals player away from him, and Mittelstadt's offense keeps tanking every time his QoC ticks up to that of a true #2 scorer, so it effectively neutralizes two lines. That plus a bad power play = the team suddenly losing close games.

I wonder what gives first here: Phil realizing he needs to roll 9/23/37 to get the most out of his lineup, Botterill getting Nylander/Olofsson in there to up the talent on secondary scoring lines or trading for someone like Brassard, or Mittelstadt or whoever going on a heater and letting them kick the can down the road for another 5-10 games.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Oh it wasn't thinly veiled. It wasn't veiled at all. Like I said I enjoy the 19 minutes per game 9 is on the ice because during that time they might actually score.

You don't need to knock Sam down in order to build Jack up. You can acknowledge that Sam is creating offense during this stretch. Such an admission won't make you less of an Eichel fan.

The math on keeping Reinhart on the top line isn't great. Sobotka is a 25% goals player away from him, and Mittelstadt's offense keeps tanking every time his QoC ticks up to that of a true #2 scorer, so it effectively neutralizes two lines. That plus a bad power play = the team suddenly losing close games.

I wonder what gives first here: Phil realizing he needs to roll 9/23/37 to get the most out of his lineup, Botterill getting Nylander/Olofsson in there to up the talent on secondary scoring lines or trading for someone like Brassard, or Mittelstadt or whoever going on a heater and letting them kick the can down the road for another 5-10 games.

I think we know it's going to be the bolded.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

It's pretty f***ing mind boggling that we've had two consistently positive lines:
53-9-29
28-22-10

... And we keep going away from that setup. I get changing things up for a period or a game when you need a shot in the arm, but I don't get going away from that setup for prolonged periods.

Reactions: Hasek and Dreakon13

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
upload_2018-12-8_20-51-59.jpeg

I makes memes to hide the pain

Reactions: joshjull

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
It's pretty ****ing mind boggling that we've had two consistently positive lines:
53-9-29
28-22-10

... And we keep going away from that setup. I get changing things up for a period or a game when you need a shot in the arm, but I don't get going away from that setup for prolonged periods.
Agree

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's pretty ****ing mind boggling that we've had two consistently positive lines:
53-9-29
28-22-10

It’s extremely frustrating. I’d also add not going to whats worked in the past on the PP. with Jack set up on his offside and trying set him up for shots. As opposed to having Jack with the puck trying to QB the PP and setting everyone else up.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Mitts... so frustrating. He does have the skill and he's not that small either, but... god c'mon now. Honestly, if there is one thing that I think could help... shoot the f***ing puck. Even if you get 11 or 12 minutes a game, shoot the damn puck.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The silver lining of The NHL today? After I came out of my fetal position, weeping??

Toronto got whipped by Boston.

Schadenfreude, color me happy tonight....
65801c0ba0a51408e0c7eaa3acde6719.jpg

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
That was an embarressement to watch, I just saw periods 2 & 3.
So basically a last years efforts by the whole crew.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Correct me if I’m wrong… I don’t think it was Risto’s ankle that was chopped.
It was the back of the knee.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
B: During the winning streak I said I wanted them to lose to see how they respond.

U: They've lost 5 straight

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The Power Play drives me crazy

The problem on the power play is puck movement. Its so stagnant. They pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a hole instead of trying to make a play. It almost looks like they are more interested in possession than scoring.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The Power Play drives me crazy

The problem on the power play is puck movement. Its so stagnant. They pass the puck around the perimeter looking for a hole instead of trying to make a play. It almost looks like they are more interested in possession than scoring.

The problem with the power play is that there's no back side threat. If you watch the Caps, Kuznetzov and Backstrom rag the pug around on the right side. Oshie is the slit trigger man. Carlson is the point shot, and then Ovechkin is backside.

If the idea is for Reinhart and Eichel to rag the puck front side, Ristolainen to shoot from the point, then the Sabres need to decide if Skinner is the slot shot or backside. If he's in the slot, the Sabres need a LH back side shot (Olofsson?). If Skinner is backside, then they need a slot shot.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The problem with the power play is that there's no back side threat. If you watch the Caps, Kuznetzov and Backstrom rag the pug around on the right side. Oshie is the slit trigger man. Carlson is the point shot, and then Ovechkin is backside.

If the idea is for Reinhart and Eichel to rag the puck front side, Ristolainen to shoot from the point, then the Sabres need to decide if Skinner is the slot shot or backside. If he's in the slot, the Sabres need a LH back side shot (Olofsson?). If Skinner is backside, then they need a slot shot.
I get that but they aren't shooting. It looks like they are trying to get Eichel the perfect pass to score. Dahlin rarely shoots and Risto does shoot but most of the time its blocked or they miss the net. The pace and urgency to score on the powerplay is lacking.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I get that but they aren't shooting. It looks like they are trying to get Eichel the perfect pass to score. Dahlin rarely shoots and Risto does shoot but most of the time its blocked or they miss the net. The pace and urgency to score on the powerplay is lacking.

I think they have to decide if Eichel is the QB of the PP or the shooter. I think it's confused right now. The PP looks like it's trying to set Eichel up, but then he gets the puck and doesn't shoot.

If he's the QB, then slot, point, and back side all need to be shooters.

If he's the shooter, then back side needs to be a playmakers (and it becomes front side, in reality).

STL had a great PP a few years back because they created an identity for each unit (shooting PP, passing PP) and it worked. I think the Sabres need the same.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

They need to get back to the set up of trying to feed Jack for a shot in the Ovie spot. Instead of having Jack with the puck trying to set up others. As @Chainshot has pointed out, no one moves in this setup. They kind of stop and watch Jack work his way around the zone waiting for him to pass.

The set up I reference is how they were set up when they were the best PP in the league. One of the reasons is it forces the opposition to pull their coverage to Jack’s side. When they inevitably cheat too far to his side it leaves working room for the others to do things on the opposite side. When that starts working the coverage begins to shift away from Jack which allows him to get more looks. Its a simple yet effect why to break down a PK. Why this current coaching staff won’t go to this set up is mind boggling. Particularly when we have the perfect guy to QB this set up in Dahlin.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
They need to get back to the set up of trying to feed Jack for a shot in the Ovie spot. Instead of having Jack with the puck trying to set up others. As @Chainshot has pointed out, no one moves in this setup. They kind of stop and watch Jack work his way around the zone waiting for him to pass.

The set up I reference is how they were set up when they were the best PP in the league. One of the reasons is it forces the opposition to pull their coverage to Jack’s side. When they inevitably cheat too far to his side it leaves working room for the others to do things on the opposite side. When that starts working the coverage begins to shift away from Jack which allows him to get more looks. Its a simple yet effect why to break down a PK. Why this current coaching staff won’t go to this set up is mind boggling. Particularly when we have the perfect guy to QB this set up in Dahlin.

I don't disagree. If they are letting Eichel QB the PP, it might make sense to put Dahlin on the right half wall on his off hand and let Ristolainen shoot from the point. Skinner in the slot.

That also lets Pilut get some 2nd PP unit time. Mittelstadt on the right half wall, Thompson on the left half wall. Okposo in the slot. Pominville net front.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think they have to decide if Eichel is the QB of the PP or the shooter. I think it's confused right now. The PP looks like it's trying to set Eichel up, but then he gets the puck and doesn't shoot.

If he's the QB, then slot, point, and back side all need to be shooters.

If he's the shooter, then back side needs to be a playmakers (and it becomes front side, in reality).

STL had a great PP a few years back because they created an identity for each unit (shooting PP, passing PP) and it worked. I think the Sabres need the same.

Given his ability to pound it on net, using him primarily in the Stammer spot with Reinhart as NFP works. That means they need someone to lay the biscuit to him in his wheelhouse and someone else on the other side to distribute. The pair of creative left-shot players they have to plug in on that hub role though would mean Phil would have to be willing to let rookies make mistakes on the top unit. Considering the vets are already making mistakes on that unit... why not, right?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Is it because Dahlin is young he wont shoot? I wish that they would get Dahlin the puck on the point and rotate Risto back to cover and let Dahlin take a wrist shot when he moves in close then Eichel and Reinhart can pick up the rebound. Seems solid to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad