We were never going to go far with this D-Core

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Let's be honest... We had 2 borderline AHL d-men in Holl/Ceci and 2 average at best defensively in Rielly/Barrie playing.
Muzzin is our only solid defender.

Dubas "big" defence additions Barrie/Ceci were an utter disaster. Couldn't have picked 2 worse guys for the money they got paid.
I have been saying this from day 1 of rebuild of our forward group ... we need 2 more Muzzy's and keep Mo, Dermy and Sandin ... Mo Dermy and sandin have da will to win in them and they can be our puck movers ... get rid of Ceci Barrie Holl Marty those guys are missing many things as defenders ... it is an AHL group ... Barrie will be bloody lucky to get Gards deal if some GM thinks he can utilize his offense????????????????? but i think not

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
I am a big fan of Ryan Ellis, but he is 5' 10" 180 lbs, so it baffles my mind that anyone thinks that he is the solution to the Leafs D problems.
Guy is a warrior. Will take Ellis or Krug in an instant because they play big.

Style of play is infinitely more important in this day and age than size. Matthews is 6' 3", Zac Rinaldo is 5' 10".

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs defense showed a lot of improvement once Keefe came in. They were average in every category where under Babcock they were poor. The PK was alao terrific. In the playoffs, the defence was even better especially in preventing high danger chances. They allowed the lowest from the 16 qualification teams, and overall 2nd from the 24 teams total. The defence was not a problem.
We could use another top 4 defenceman for sure, but lets not act like the defence was so bad that we lost. We couldn't score and Andy allowing deflating goals.
I'm encouraged with how the Leafs played against a well structured team in the Jackets, but losing hurts a lot.
I'm honestly excited how Sandin and Lilly play under Keefe next season.
With that being said, I think a core member needs to go.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I thought the defense was fine for the most part but as is typically the case the better defensive team won the series.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leaf's save percentage was it's highest when Ceci was on the ice both in the regular season and the playoffs. He isn't a devastating hitter, but ends up top three on the team. Unlike Marincin who shows good defensive numbers only, Ceci is pretty good at not giving the puck up for a defensive defenseman. In that regard, he was the best defenseman in the regular season and 2nd best blueliner for us in the playoffs. Muzzin and Ceci were the only defensemen not to end up a minus in the playoffs. And sadly, Ceci's short-handed goal... that's in itself is the best offensive number the Leafs got from their blueline, as Rielly had one goal, no assists and Dermott one assist. Personally think most competitive teams like Columbus would have about four defensemen making $4 plus million. Maybe a couple with offense, a couple with defense. Muzz and Ceci are okay. Offensively, Rielly failed... and Barrie turned out to be just flaming garbage. Now reality is, there's no easy fixes either for Dubas. Anything he does will be another shoot for the fences and hope for the best. Even if he could afford it, there's no UFA solution, there's no prospect solution.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I thought the defense was fine for the most part but as is typically the case the better defensive team won the series.
D played better than I expected, however they provided zero offensive help, not that i thought this team needed more offense, but go figure?

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They couldn't score this series... no question. Didn't get any breaks and we didn't capitalize on our numerous chances. If we play Columbus another 5-game series and we could easily blow them out of the building. I'm not worried about the offence.

Our D was bad... we got lucky A LOT more pucks didn't end up in our net. Freddy bailed out our D so many times I lost count... then he of course let in his back breaking softy. Columbus also had a bunch of goal posts.

There's no question it's the D that needs to be fixed going foward. Nylander is our best piece from a trade value perspective to move to address the issue.
I don’t think trading Willie is going to work.
Team cannot have three 10mil plus players.
I will argue that trading both Marner and Willie will probably benefits the Leafs more.

Reactions: biotk

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
The defense this year did get better, but it was like shining a turd. There's no mobility back there and the puck-control is abysmal. There were so many times this season and in the playoffs where the defenceman simply couldn't move quick enough with the puck to get out of the zone. The footspeed of some of these guys, specifically Ceci was unacceptable. It led to the forwards always being forced to bail them out, to get the puck in the defensive zone and skate it out themselves. Which put them behind the 8-ball. The whole season I was missing a guy like Kaberle who could get it out easily.

Reactions: Lemontree

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The loss of Hainsey was very detrimental to Morgan Rielly. Dubas killed our top pairing and gave us Ceci to complete the kick to the nuts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The loss of Hainsey was very detrimental to Morgan Rielly. Dubas killed our top pairing and gave us Ceci to complete the kick to the nuts.

Hainsey of 2020 wasn't as good as he was 3 years ago.

I'd agree the Leafs could use a guy like he used to be though.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think underestimating Columbus was part of the issue for the Leafs, Tampa Bay last year, and fans of both teams. It’s easy to write Columbus off because of their history. But teams evolve and so does history. They are young, hungry, and have something to prove. Last year people predicted Tampa to sweep Columbus but it was 4-0 Columbus. This year people expected this series to be a cakewalk and now there’s several discussions about how Columbus outplayed and out coached Toronto, while we pick apart all of the problems the Leafs need to fix.

Overall I think they have a good, young, well-rounded team. They can score (even without Panarin and Duchene), are good at defending and mostly keeping play to the perimeter in their end, they have 2 elite D who can eat minutes, defend, and produce offensively, they have good goaltending, and they have speed and play with grit.

The Leafs cannot check all of those boxes, and it showed. Now it’s back to the drawing board for the Leafs (again!) while the underestimated Blue Jackets move on to the quarterfinals in a rematch versus Tampa Bay.
I never heard anyone say the Leafs would win in cakewalk.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Leafs defense showed a lot of improvement once Keefe came in. They were average in every category where under Babcock they were poor. The PK was alao terrific. In the playoffs, the defence was even better especially in preventing high danger chances. They allowed the lowest from the 16 qualification teams, and overall 2nd from the 24 teams total. The defence was not a problem.
We could use another top 4 defenceman for sure, but lets not act like the defence was so bad that we lost. We couldn't score and Andy allowing deflating goals.
I'm encouraged with how the Leafs played against a well structured team in the Jackets, but losing hurts a lot.
I'm honestly excited how Sandin and Lilly play under Keefe next season.
With that being said, I think a core member needs to go.

Wait.. so you praise the PK for being terrific, but constantly crap on Andersen and Marner. Do they not get credit for a “terrific”PK, or do they play no role in that and still suck?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Geez. When Holl signed his contract he was a top 4 DMAN. Now he’s not good enough to make the top 6. Amazing what sample sizes can do to a players value.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Geez. When Holl signed his contract he was a top 4 DMAN. Now he’s not good enough to make the top 6. Amazing what sample sizes can do to a players value.

Not a competent one. Slow footed and does not read the play well enough to make up for his lack of speed. Players with his below average skills make their careers as being intimidating along the boards and in front of the net......he doesn't do that either. He is a right handed, slightly upgraded Martin Marincin which means he is an NHL player but not one that should ever be elevated past bottom pairing duties.

If Justin Holl is counted as anything more than a bottom pairing/depth Dman you are not competing for Championships. Dubas thinks he uncovered a gem and has given him a bad contract extension starting next year at a $2M cap hit.....who do you think he was bidding against for Holl's services?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Wasn’t the first goal a deflection off Barrie’s glove? The second goal was all Andersen and the third was an empty netter so you’re right there.

Edit: actually I’m legitimately not sure. It may have hit Jenner?
https://www.nhl.com/video/werenski-opens-the-scoring/t-317755060/c-5398823

That point shot was a direct result of Maple Leaf defensemen lacking the ability to beat fore checkers and make an outlet pass.

Common theme all series. Columbus forechecked hard and Toronto bubbles around. With a quality defense core, we make outlet passes and Columbus forwards are chasing on the back check all day.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Can't really beat up on Justin Holl too much because everything he provided was gravy. Not his fault he was over-utilized in a top pairing role and encouraged to try and control the game like he's Alex Pietrangelo.

Mikko Lehtonen is a good start since he's quite accomplished at the pro level already, but this Leafs regime needs to start putting some work into developing NHL capable defensemen in the later rounds. I know they're drafting guys like Michael Koster and Mac Hollowell, but what's the game plan with a 5'9" defenseman when other organizations are quickly developing guys like Gavrikov, Cernak, etc. who can actually play a role?

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

That Hainsey is discussed as the best partner Rielly has had is the crime. We have never given our best Dman a chance to play with strong partner, it's a shame, a disservice to Morgan and inexplicable.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad