Post-Game Talk: We were far less terrible, but Jets 4 - 3 Oilers

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wished they would have kept him in the AHL his first couple years and let him play there exclusively except for a game or 2 taste of the NHL. He was up and down like a yo-yo. I know many fans were clamoring for him to be up here and play on the first line, but I thought that is asking way to much of the kid. Some guys take longer to mature and reach their potential, and I think it's obvious he is one of those. As you say, he is looking like a long term project. The question is, does this organization have the patience to let him develop, or will they continue to rush him and screw him over, as they have done with so many other youngsters due to lack of depth.

Reactions: Multigrain

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The team is just hopelessly overmatched and refuses to be patient with certain players or hold others accountable. There’s no solution apart from a complete organizational overhaul.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Thought the Oilers played a pretty good game and were just edged out by a better, more well-rounded team.

Kinda seemed like in the third they sensed they had the momentum after the tying goal, but were paralyzed by performance anxiety or something.

Surprised to see Petrovic's stats were so bad. I thought he was mostly unnoticeable meaning a low event game which is generally good for a defender.

I want rattie back on the top line, but looking back I was thinking during the game that rattie was too eager to add to his point total and could benefit from being bumped down for a couple periods.

Also Lucic is getting too much of a bad rap here I think, just a popular whipping boy. His play has declined since the initial boost after Hitchcock arrived, but by my eye he is still outperforming brodziak, spooner, Reider (since injury), cagguila, as well as puljujarvi and Khaira some nights, also every call up from the AHL so far.

Just a few thoughts. Overall the team could be better but I thought it was the best game by the Oilers in a while and could have beaten worse teams than the Jets. Hitchcock seems to think the Oilers should be as good as the Jets, which is interesting.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thought the Oilers played a pretty good game and were just edged out by a better, more well-rounded team.

Kinda seemed like in the third they sensed they had the momentum after the tying goal, but were paralyzed by performance anxiety or something.

Surprised to see Petrovic's stats were so bad. I thought he was mostly unnoticeable meaning a low event game which is generally good for a defender.

I want rattie back on the top line, but looking back I was thinking during the game that rattie was too eager to add to his point total and could benefit from being bumped down for a couple periods.

Also Lucic is getting too much of a bad rap here I think, just a popular whipping boy. His play has declined since the initial boost after Hitchcock arrived, but by my eye he is still outperforming brodziak, spooner, Reider (since injury), cagguila, as well as puljujarvi and Khaira some nights, also every call up from the AHL so far.

Just a few thoughts. Overall the team could be better but I thought it was the best game by the Oilers in a while and could have beaten worse teams than the Jets. Hitchcock seems to think the Oilers should be as good as the Jets, which is interesting.
Outperforming Spooner? Wow, that bar is set rather high, isn't it?:laugh:

You got me on the Reider one though. Lucic - ONE Reider - NOTHING

And if Hitch thinks we should be as good as the Jets, he may have started drinking before midnight, I'd say.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
In all seriousness, he is gonna want out. Look at this mess
You want a laugh, go on YouTube and search “behind the b”. It shows the meeting in Boston when they decide to trade Seguin. I laugh at Chia when he is on the phone with other GMs by the window. His negotiations are terrible

I can’t believe they actually filmed that and put it out. Never a good look to see a manager bash his star players like that.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Sekera hasn't played in a long time I don't even know how you can consider him reliable.
Larsson has been decent all season.
Is Hitchcock too set in his ways? Understandable he hasn't had much help with all the injuries but there also has to be some offense accountablity in all of this, instead of always ripping on the defense.

That’s true hopefully Sekera can get back to 16/17 form.

If we had that Sekera and a healthy Klefbom we should be low seed playoff team.

Larsson is far from decent. Without Klefbom he gets exposed.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Oilers looked a lot better in their own zone with breakouts, but are still lacking offensive chances. Since they don't have depth scoring and aren't likely to score more than three or so goals, their best bet to beat teams like the Jets is to get even better with positioning and physical play. Good games from Draisaitl, McDavid, and RNH again.

Reactions: Cypress

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Outperforming Spooner? Wow, that bar is set rather high, isn't it?:laugh:

You got me on the Reider one though. Lucic - ONE Reider - NOTHING

And if Hitch thinks we should be as good as the Jets, he may have started drinking before midnight, I'd say.

No the bar does not seem to be very high. Just pointing out that Lucic has actually been one of our better depth forwards since Hitchcock took over.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I can’t believe they actually filmed that and put it out. Never a good look to see a manager bash his star players like that.

Unreal eh. What did you think when Chia was on the phone by the window? Sounded pretty incompetent to me

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He actually sounds like he's scared to negotiate... like worried they might say no and ruin his entire day.

Wtf

He is all our, all ours!
Rejoice Oiler fans!

I wont mention the trades, but the management funnies

Ralph Kruger had the Oilers playing pretty good in the strike shortened season. Yak scored 31 pts in 48 games and the Oilers finished 3 games under 500. Schultz also had a great season. Kruger was well liked.
MacT then skypes Kruger and fires him for wonderboy Dallas Eakins. The team goes into a complete tail spin in Eakins's time. He lost the team right off the get-go and was not well liked. He was mercifully replaced in the 2014-15 season by Todd Nelson.
Todd Nelson gets the team playing not to bad and finishes 5 games under 500. He seems well liked by the players
Chiarelli is hired and is gifted McDavid. Nelson is replaced by Todd MacLellan. MacLellan goes 31-43-0-8 in 1st season. San Jose fans laugh at us because MacLellan couldn't get a talented SJ team anywhere. They had LA 3-0 and couldn't finish.

Should I go on?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He is all our, all ours!
Rejoice Oiler fans!

I wont mention the trades, but the management funnies

Ralph Kruger had the Oilers playing pretty good in the strike shortened season. Yak scored 31 pts in 48 games and the Oilers finished 3 games under 500. Schultz also had a great season. Kruger was well liked.
MacT then skypes Kruger and fires him for wonderboy Dallas Eakins. The team goes into a complete tail spin in Eakins's time. He lost the team right off the get-go and was not well liked. He was mercifully replaced in the 2014-15 season by Todd Nelson.
Todd Nelson gets the team playing not to bad and finishes 5 games under 500. He seems well liked by the players
Chiarelli is hired and is gifted McDavid. Nelson is replaced by Todd MacLellan. MacLellan goes 31-43-0-8 in 1st season. San Jose fans laugh at us because MacLellan couldn't get a talented SJ team anywhere. They had LA 3-0 and couldn't finish.

Should I go on?
It’s not the coaching, is it?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Kind of funny that the video of Chiarelli and his team of big brains slagging on Seguin has resurfaced. Just a few short months ago this video was making the rounds on this board as ‘evidence’ that Chiarelli does his due diligence and considers the viewpoints of others when making deals. :biglaugh:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lol so painful to watch. I would pay good money to see how the Hall deal went down.
Seriously, how in the heck does a ?GM only get .larsen for .taylor friggin’ (Hart winner) Hall? I don’t get why Hall was traded anyway! Keep him to play with McDavid. Six million for Hall is a great cap hit. How much is ?Draisatl getting!

Reactions: Magnum23

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Lol so painful to watch. I would pay good money to see how the Hall deal went down.

Probably similar to Seguin. There were the rumors of Seguin's after-hours activities. He didn't fit into the Bruins mold. They sold him quick

Hall didn't buy into our system (confirmed). Also, there were rumors he might have been having after hours problems as well. They sold quick

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
What is this post. You are going to focus on a single mistake by Jones when his pairing was the only one that wasnt constantly getting hemmed in.

In all of Garrisons and Wiseman's game, they never played as bad as Petrovic tonight. Him and Nurse got ran over in every way shape and form.

Manning was fine.
Garrison and wideman never got sent to a new team and put on the first pairing in their first game. Like what do you guys expect. We bring in a #6 dman and he gets thrown to the wolves. Never mind Nurse being our most difficult dman to play with. He’s so erratic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We can't jump to a conclusion unless we heard how Hitchcock worded it. Anything else is just building our own narratives based on our personal biases.

Its no big deal. Its the Peter DeBoer strategy of giving the most leaned on players the most rest. He already said he was doing this with Nuge two weeks ago now he's doing it with all 3, as he should. Those are the 3 forwards on the team that are beyond remedial instruction.

If you're consistently riding these guys over 2omins a night then giving them some breathers as well makes sense. Also a note to the rest of the team, all combined, that have only scored a collective 27 goals to get their heads out of their asses and contribute something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->