Post-Game Talk: We were far less terrible, but Jets 4 - 3 Oilers

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Defense was brutal - Calgary’s forward group is arguably less skilled than ours but their defense drives the play for them.

Aside from Klefbom and Sekera there are zero reliable puckmovers on the backend. Players like Larsson, nurse, benning can’t create a play to save their life.

I hope jones can pan out but this losing streak may shatter his confidence like so many young Oiler d man( Schultz, Petry, Nurse) in the past.
Sekera hasn't played in a long time I don't even know how you can consider him reliable.
Larsson has been decent all season.
Is Hitchcock too set in his ways? Understandable he hasn't had much help with all the injuries but there also has to be some offense accountablity in all of this, instead of always ripping on the defense.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Because we keep talking about the ****ing defense. Fans blame the dmen. The media blames the dmen. The organization blames the dmen. How incompetent do our forwards have to get before we realize that not having more than 3 forwards capable of hitting the 30 point mark is a bad idea?
I second that thank you for saying this. With the amount of star power the oilers have no excuses.
This is like a Dallas 2.0 team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
U just answered it for me.
I guess you are trying to say we as fans are idiots for paying for this bs and I agree with ya .

I’m just saying that bs he pulled off in the threat to Seattle was idiotic

I would say it was brilliant, as it got him what he wanted. A shyster move, but brilliant nonetheless.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Defense was brutal - Calgary’s forward group is arguably less skilled than ours but their defense drives the play for them.

Aside from Klefbom and Sekera there are zero reliable puckmovers on the backend. Players like Larsson, nurse, benning can’t create a play to save their life.

I hope jones can pan out but this losing streak may shatter his confidence like so many young Oiler d man( Schultz, Petry, Nurse) in the past.
If Jones makes another major mistake and starts thinking about everything I would send him down. No reason to hurt his confidence at this point.

Reactions: Magnum23

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought Gravel was playing okay. As you found out with this organization, you get demoted for good play and promoted for bad play. It’s gotta be time to put Lucic and Benning in PB but they keep on playing
Also impossible for Rattie to gain any traction.

Back down to the 4th line only to be replaced by Kassian, a guy who hasn't shown a pulse in 2 years.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Also impossible for Rattie to gain any traction.

Back down to the 4th line only to be replaced by Kassian, a guy who hasn't shown a pulse in 2 years.

Yup, and it was called on here before it happened. Rattie usually gets a game, and if nothing happens in the first period, he's done. He will be another wasted asset, I fear. Meanwhile, slugs like Looch and Kassian continue to get some gravy.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yup, and it was called on here before it happened. Rattie usually gets a game, and if nothing happens in the first period, he's done. He will be another wasted asset, I fear. Meanwhile, slugs like Looch and Kassian continue to get some gravy.
Unfortunately guys like Lucic and Kassian who are seen as tough guys to play against or deterrents get way more leeway in this league than inconsistent scorers. As long as this old school thinking of being big automatically makes you better than someone small, this is going to be a regular thing.

I'd rather a younger/smaller guy whos looked good in the top 6 at points have a chance to build some chemistry with our core than Lucic be the biggest, scariest pile of useless player night in and night out.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Im convinced no one outside McD/Drai/Nuge/Chiasson give a flying fk anymore. Trade everyone else and bring up the AHL team...so sad. Hitch looked stressed and angry in the post game. Deal Nurse and Kassian for a good winger for starts....throw the rest of the trash out. Lucic(2 mil retained) for a 6th round pick...ect

You would be lucky to retain 2 mil on Lucic deal. I could see Pittsburgh interested to counter Wilson

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
BS

This team lacks any sort of semblance of NHL players outside of 4 or 5 guys.

Disagree. We’ve got plenty of NHL caliber players. The problem is, there’s only 3 top 6 forwards, and MAYBE 2 more top 9 forwards (Khaira and Chiasson). Even if Lucic and Spooner found their offense again, we’d still be short at least a couple scoring threats

You would be lucky to retain 2 mil on Lucic deal. I could see Pittsburgh interested to counter Wilson

You just can’t trade Looch to a contender. It requires too much retention. You have to deal him to a team that cares more about his salary than his caphit. That “retention” is basically built in then.

That or try and do a 3 team trade where a team eats 2 million and flips him to the 3rd team

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Unfortunately guys like Lucic and Kassian who are seen as tough guys to play against or deterrents get way more leeway in this league than inconsistent scorers. As long as this old school thinking of being big automatically makes you better than someone small, this is going to be a regular thing.

I'd rather a younger/smaller guy whos looked good in the top 6 at points have a chance to build some chemistry with our core than Lucic be the biggest, scariest pile of useless player night in and night out.
Sounds like you have a disagreement with the way our players are being deployed?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Sounds like you have a disagreement with the way our players are being deployed?

I have a disagreement with everything this organization does lately.

Specifically, I don't agree with how Jesse was brought along. At this point, I have no idea what's best for him though.

Some days I'd like to see him glued to McDavid to get his confidence up and see if he can push past this stunted development, and other days I think he should be in the AHL until he wins the scoring title.

I don't have a clue what to do with him anymore, but I strongly disagree with the process that got him to this point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Disagree. We’ve got plenty of NHL caliber players. The problem is, there’s only 3 top 6 forwards, and MAYBE 2 more top 9 forwards (Khaira and Chiasson). Even if Lucic and Spooner found their offense again, we’d still be short at least a couple scoring threats

You just can’t trade Looch to a contender. It requires too much retention. You have to deal him to a team that cares more about his salary than his caphit. That “retention” is basically built in then.

That or try and do a 3 team trade where a team eats 2 million and flips him to the 3rd team

Nuge, McDavid and Drai with an honorable mention to Chiasson. That's it. Khaira maybe is on his way, as he has looked good for a stretch, but he's spent just as much time looking like pressbox fodder this season.

Maybe you could throw in Reider although barely if at all.

That's 5, maybe 6 guys who you can say should be every day NHL players based on their play this year.

The rest are either too old, too young or too much of a tweener.

In 2 or 3 years time we're going to look back at the roster we're icing every night and see that there is only a small handful of players still in the league.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I have a disagreement with everything this organization does lately.

Specifically, I don't agree with how Jesse was brought along. At this point, I have no idea what's best for him though.

Some days I'd like to see him glued to McDavid to get his confidence up and see if he can push past this stunted development, and other days I think he should be in the AHL until he wins the scoring title.

I don't have a clue what to do with him anymore, but I strongly disagree with the process that got him to this point.
The reason I ask, is that I was of the understanding that a change in coaching was going to solve the "Jesse" conundrum, as well as other issues, but it seems as though there is just as much confusion as to what to do with him now as there was a month and a half ago.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Creating resentment is a heckuva team builder.

Hadn't thought about it that way, but that could be a possibility. If I'm one of those staying on the ice, I may look at it like "hey, I work just as hard as those guys do every shift I'm out there. But I suck and don't have a lot of talent, but they get to leave early."

Or, it could be as simple as giving some overworked players a breather.

I remember in the Oilers heyday though, other less talented guys would elevate their games, from practicing with the stars on the team, and learning some of their tricks.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The reason I ask, is that I was of the understanding that a change in coaching was going to solve the "Jesse" conundrum, as well as other issues, but it seems as though there is just as much confusion as to what to do with him now as there was a month and a half ago.

My belief was that a coaching change would definitely help the jesse situation.

I'm not ready to give up on hitch bringing him along yet, but obviously he hasn't shown what i was hoping with a coaching change in this short amount of time.

My issues with Tmac extended beyond jesse, but I won't lie, I blame a huge part of his lack of development on Tmac.

It can be argued that Tmac stunted him in his most important developmental years, or that the organization failed him, or maybe he failed himself. I'm not sure, all I know is that he was the correct pick at that spot, and that the oilers have a history of turning promising prospects into garbage one way or another.

Jesse is looking like a long term project at best right now either way. I just hope they do it properly from here on out, whatever that may be.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

What it shows in this Lucic mess is there is no accountability . A young fella makes a mistake and he is demoted. Lucic and Benning are a skating mistake and there is no demotions. It’s time to press box those 2

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hadn't thought about it that way, but that could be a possibility. If I'm one of those staying on the ice, I may look at it like "hey, I work just as hard as those guys do every shift I'm out there. But I suck and don't have a lot of talent, but they get to leave early."

Or, it could be as simple as giving some overworked players a breather.

I remember in the Oilers heyday though, other less talented guys would elevate their games, from practicing with the stars on the team, and learning some of their tricks.

We can't jump to a conclusion unless we heard how Hitchcock worded it. Anything else is just building our own narratives based on our personal biases.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We can't jump to a conclusion unless we heard how Hitchcock worded it. Anything else is just building our own narratives based on our personal biases.
I don't see this causing resentment unless it's often anyways.

It was probably worded as "those guys don't need skill drills right now because they are scoring 100% of our goals right now and you guys aren't holding your weight"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad