We Want The Cup!

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
You have been here for a while. Of course, you had a long absence when the team was bad and only started posting again last year, so your seniority on the board means even less than those who stuck through the bad times (and it meant very little to begin with).

Hey, you don't like me, that's always been plain. It is what it is, I don't lose any sleep over it, believe me. I still like your posts, btw. You are a great member of the Canes board and I would never dispute it. The animosity is always in one direction - from you to me.

Don’t worry guys. Soon he’ll disappear for another couple months.

Probably. But don't take it personally.

I want the cup too, but I'd rather have a few years of stability and dominance than risking it all for one chance.

Ask Washington and St. Louis if their "years of stability and dominance" meant a rat's fart to them compared to hoisting the Cup. I talk to Canadiens fans every day and do you think their "years of dominance" means anything to them when I mention 1993 is the last time they won and we've been to TWO finals since then and won a Cup? They have no answer. "Years of dominance" back in the 70s means JACK.

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
I am still contemplating whether we really want the Cup. 2006 was nice and all, and it even brought some begrudging respect to the Canes. Any Canadian mouthing off about relative superiority due to Corsi statistics and such could always be shut down with a condescending "when was your last Cup hoisted?" But now I fear that we are morphing into the same mold -- living in our past glories from what is now more than a decade ago like Uncle Rico and rarely scratching at the door to the playoffs. So, if we want the Cup, we need to kick in that door of complacency and let the league know we are a force to be reckoned with again. That we are not just Corsi masters with lots of ineffective perimeter shots and no finish. That we are not a one-hit wonder whose time has come and long gone. That we can spend to the cap with the big boys and actually have solid contributors all up and down the lineup. That we don't need Derek Ryan to carry us on his back to the promised land this year. So yes, after thinking about it, we DO want that Cup and the Williams army is rising up to claim that prize ... after a pleasant yet inspiring nine day rest. But after that rest, look out for the Canes and their unflinching quest for the ultimate prize in sports. Or, maybe just don't get rusty over the break. Thank you for your consideration.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I am going to use mostly small letters, so you guys know that I truly mean BUSINESS.

Unless Willy can step in and be a top 15 starter in goal in the NHL, this ain't fixing our problems

then he better get something besides a swiss cheese tandem and bring back some D

GDT: - JET IN @ HURRICANE

I have mentioned it early. The post above shall be BLUNT INSTRUMENT OF EXPLANATION with which posters shall be informed that recently the goaltending was actually good, problems were elsewhere.

I've been here longer than most people on this board, but I never get tired of being RIGHT.

Problems FIXED.

Putting yourself into an argumentation position like this is extremely easy. You are either wrong and folks don't care that you are because no actual fan wants to see his team lose. Not even to tank. Or you are right and people are happy, so you can come here marching and go on a parade. But if you are not here during the times when things are ugly, when being a fan is just pure emotional suffering, it bears little merit.
Obviously new fans are built in times of success, but if those fans don't stay with the team in the darkness, they are not sticking to the definition of the word. It comes from the word fanatic, which according to someone else who is more versed in English than yours truly from the Czech Republic means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It's easy to become a fan, but it's a lot harder to persist.

It's like a bandwagon. For example I am really curious how are all those "lifelong" fans of Golden State Warriors, now that they know they play to tank.

You have been here for a while. Of course, you had a long absence when the team was bad and only started posting again last year, so your seniority on the board means even less than those who stuck through the bad times (and it meant very little to begin with).

I have no seniority as a Cane. I joined when things started to look up after one of the longest playoff droughts.

But I a fan of... HC Olomouc.
HC Olomouc – Wikipedie
HC Olomouc - Wikipedia

I started at the end of the season 2009/10. I have had season ticket until this year, because well... studying medicine kind of kills parts of your personal life.

At that time they weren't even in the top league. Even though Olomouc is 5th or 6th (depends on the census) biggest city. I have been going to an arena with 1000 people on average and I was freezing my butt off because the stadium is ... ancient to put it mildly.

But I stuck with them. And four years later they had the chance to advance. They failed. I stuck.
Next year they earned the shot again. Alongside another club who wanted to advance, they completely dominated the regular season and they made it through the play-off bracket to get the chance. And both clubs took it. They advanced.

In the next season 14/15, they played in Extraliga. For the first time since 1997. Attendance became four to five times bigger.
NOW THAT IS SOME FU^KING VENGEANCE. (Excuse the language Dave and GP, but I stand by my decision to use it in this specific instance).

Next year they faced relegation, but they made it. In the next four years, they made playoff three times and they even won a series.
Every year they are expected to fail, they are expected to suck.

But every year, we hope they suck less than what press and others expect. We are there, freezing our butts off in that ancient piece of commie architecture.
Because every time they surpass the expectations we can say we were there with them when things looked bleak. This is what makes it our victory as well, despite it not being us who laces the skates. That is our Vengeance.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Dude I became a Whalers fan in '82. I watched heart-rending Game 7 losses. Disappointing playoff runs. A decade of frustration.

The early Canes years weren't exactly a celebration of success, either.

Well then... You have watched hockey in a decade when I wasn’t even born.

Still... My advice is to hold your horses and focus on the task Canes have at hand now.

Hold that playoff spot in the Metropolitan Division hellscape.

Hope is a great feeling, but it should be handled with care. Getting your hopes up only to experience disappoinment as soon as the chips go down and cards are on the table makes one look like a Leaf fan.

Everyone here wants Canes to win the Cup. But this wish needs a lot more to happen to just give Canes the option to even play for it in the finals.

Getting to play-off is gonna be a task of its own.

Flyers are 11th in the League and they do not even make it through the Wild Card.
Then you need to win 3 extremely tough playoff series in the best league in the world and then you have a shot to overcome the last obstacle.

We share your wish. But it’s a long journey. Don’t think about the landing in the middle of Atlantic.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Problem Solved
Ray Ferraro is making a comeback with the 'Canes
He'll only play games when he can wear his Whaler Sweater #26

ECDVA4zWkAstuKw.jpg

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
the goaltending was actually good, problems were elsewhere.
Ask Washington and St. Louis if their "years of stability and dominance" meant a rat's fart to them compared to hoisting the Cup.
Since Chuck is usually correct—he will know that both Washington and St. Louis continued the 2 decade trend of winning the Cup with a goalie developed within the organization. So is the hope that one of Mr. Azek or Reimer pulls a hammy so Ned can be our Binnington/Murray/Ward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->