OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
What’s wrong with Oklahoma? They should have crushed Army lol.

I honestly don't know because the game could only be watched on Pay Per View Oklahoma! Absolutely bizarre in 2018 and haven't heard of anyone who actually could watch/critique the game because of the PPV, including ESPN CFB analysts.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Football, I'm not sure why anyone is a Jets fan. Probably stems back to Namath, but they're definitely the less popular of the two teams. The Giants winning Super Bowls more recently likely hasn't helped their case.

I think the Mets-Jets link is a big one due to the fact that the Jets played at Shea from 1964-83.

The little brother factor hits home for some people too.

Edit- Sorry for double post, I've never learned to multi-quote...

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think the Mets-Jets link is a big one due to the fact that the Jets played at Shea from 1964-83.

The little brother factor hits home for some people too.

Edit- Sorry for double post, I've never learned to multi-quote...
Ah, yes, of course. I didn't include the fact that the Jets played in Shea. Obviously another tie-in to the Queens/LI location.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I know some Yankees-Jets-Isles fans. I know some Giants-Mets-Range-uhs fans. It all depends.

Really, the Giants and Yankees are the only good N.Y. franchises. I root for neither but can understand doing so. If you like following teams that are always investing in wins, you really only have those two as options, with the Yankees far and away the most win-obsessed franchise in the USA.
You root for any of the rest of the N.Y. teams because you (a) have no choice anymore due to some childhood brainwashing or (b) (1) you don’t care too much about success, but like a challenge and (2) likely find success more fulfilling when it’s yours.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I think it's mostly geography, as the Yankees and NY Giants shared the Stadium until 1974, and the Mets and Jets shared Shea until 1986. The Isles are almost exclusively Long Island and a bit eastern Queens. Obviously people pick teams for different reasons.

Personally, I'm a fourth generation Yankees and Giants fan from one side of my family, and the Isles from the other side of my family (guess who I like more.)

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I know some Yankees-Jets-Isles fans. I know some Giants-Mets-Range-uhs fans. It all depends.

Really, the Giants and Yankees are the only good N.Y. franchises. I root for neither but can understand doing so. If you like following teams that are always investing in wins, you really only have those two as options, with the Yankees far and away the most win-obsessed franchise in the USA.
You root for any of the rest of the N.Y. teams because you (a) have no choice anymore due to some childhood brainwashing or (b) (1) you don’t care too much about success, but like a challenge and (2) likely find success more fulfilling when it’s yours.
I choose (c) (1) they're worth rooting for.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It makes being a fan much more fun in the NY area. Many of your friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. root for the "other" team so it certainly spices things up. In almost every other market everyone simply roots for the home team which is a bit vanilla...

I'd call that a matter of preference. For instance here in Nashville the year the Titans went to the Super Bowl, everyone was watching that run, everyone was a little friendlier, it was a community bonding experience. I was in college and working at a restaurant then, and during the actual super bowl broadcast we had exactly one customer, and the roads were almost empty. It was close but not quite at that level when the Preds went to the Cup Final. It's a pretty incredible experience itself when EVERYONE is pulling together on the same side.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'd call that a matter of preference. For instance here in Nashville the year the Titans went to the Super Bowl, everyone was watching that run, everyone was a little friendlier, it was a community bonding experience. I was in college and working at a restaurant then, and during the actual super bowl broadcast we had exactly one customer, and the roads were almost empty. It was close but not quite at that level when the Preds went to the Cup Final. It's a pretty incredible experience itself when EVERYONE is pulling together on the same side.
New York is a 2 team town in all sports, 3 in hockey. In our parents time it was a 3 team baseball town. I've never been around a 1 team town at championship time. In New York there's always been divided loyalties within families and differences of opinions amongst fans.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I want someone to do this for the Islanders. Tavares can be the last guy shown in the clip.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Shameless has gotten pathetic. Where have some of the characters from the end of season 8 gone? Plots come from nowhere and evaporate into thin air. The characters are growing, but still doing stupid shit. It's just that the stupid shit they do is rooted from foolish pride, not a South Side hustle.

Fiona has become Frank, but not in an amusing way. She's being just as selfish as he is, except worse because she says she cares but she's really putting the family's well being on the line.

Lip needs to get rid of Xan for her sake, but he won't because once he does we all know he's going to get in a destructive relationship.

Ian and Debbie have gone way too far on this SJW garbage.

Carl and Liam are the only two Gallaghers I can deal with right now.

I think they should bring back some characters from seasons past: Mandy, Shiela, Ethel and Malik, V's brother, Frank's brothers. Why do we never hear from Carol? Where is JimmySteve?!

johnnyrockets55

Sep 8, 2018
nassau
Has anyone noticed that since LeafBoy left that Adidas has been too lazy to put Barzal or someone else's name on jerseys or t-shirts and start selling them to retail? I've checked Modells, Dick's, they don't even have any other player besides the fake Fanatics jerseys on the website. I guess you could probably find Adidas t-shirts at one of the pro shops or the arena stores, but I'm starting to think Adidas isn't taking this NHL thing seriously. I don't even see hockey stuff in their stores. And I definitely want to see clearanced Reebok Tavares merch off the website. Who the hell will buy that?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Just a rant but I got hit up for the first time by my goddaughter for school fundraising stuff to buy. Of course like a sucker I say yes figuring it's wrapping paper for a couple bucks and whatnot but my god the prices of all this "fundraiser" crap now is insane. And I'm sure that less than half the money is going to the kids.

It's such a scam. You pay a metric f*** ton of money to these school distracts and they are always hitting you up for more via this fundraising bullshit. Maybe if they budgeted their money properly instead of acting like drunken sailors things would be a lot better financially.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Just a rant but I got hit up for the first time by my goddaughter for school fundraising stuff to buy.
Kid next door came to my door selling "fine, imported, mustards :confused:" for his school. Twelve bucks a jar. I bought one because I'm friends with his parents. Next time I'll see who is on the porch before opening the door.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just a rant but I got hit up for the first time by my goddaughter for school fundraising stuff to buy. Of course like a sucker I say yes figuring it's wrapping paper for a couple bucks and whatnot but my god the prices of all this "fundraiser" crap now is insane. And I'm sure that less than half the money is going to the kids.

It's such a scam. You pay a metric **** ton of money to these school distracts and they are always hitting you up for more via this fundraising bull****. Maybe if they budgeted their money properly instead of acting like drunken sailors things would be a lot better financially.

It's like getting the phone call from your alma mater to support the school right after graduating. Uh, I just paid a house-worth to you over the course of four years...that wasn't enough?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
It's like getting the phone call from your alma mater to support the school right after graduating. Uh, I just paid a house-worth to you over the course of four years...that wasn't enough?

I got one of those calls for my son's alma mater. I asked the young girl if I could get a refund since my son didn't have a job yet. She was completely flustered.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I got one of those calls for my son's alma mater. I asked the young girl if I could get a refund since my son didn't have a job yet. She was completely flustered.

Well, I know you were messing with the person, but hopefully you realize it's not their obligation to make sure your son is employed.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Well, I know you were messing with the person, but hopefully you realize it's not their obligation to make sure your son is employed.
Of course I know. She was touting the school's contacts with employers and their track record of graduates getting high paying jobs so I couldn't resist. BTW he is currently employed but through no help from the school.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Deadspin is the worst with the content produced by the most awful people on the planet.

Deadspin used to be often interesting and sometimes funny. It's a total garbage hole now. So much of it is political dogma spewed by the dopiest of post-modern dunderheads, who I'm guessing are hired because they're just out of school and work for nothing, or they're so ideologically obsessed they can't work for a normal place with normal people.

Reactions: sabremike

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Kid next door came to my door selling "fine, imported, mustards :confused:" for his school. Twelve bucks a jar. I bought one because I'm friends with his parents. Next time I'll see who is on the porch before opening the door.

When it's family like my kids or nephews / nieces I just buy the whole box of chocolate or case of whatever . I take it to work and make all the guys buy a little . Maybe I suggest less overtime if a purchase is not made ( wink ) When a random kid from another block knocks on the door and the mom or dad is at the sidewalk I ask how many of mine are you buying so I know how many of yours to buy. When it's a neighbor I always say of course how many can i buy ? As for the $12 dollar mustard , that better be some damn good mustard .

LGI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad