OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Call this retro. But I can't wait till the premiere of Magnum PI the reboot. Anything to view fast cars and shots of Hawaii.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
According to an article on Point Blank: Clutter is a d-man and the Isles play in the NFL.
IPB put up a new article? Thanks for letting me know - I was going to check in a few weeks.

Seriously, I'm thinking that domain name will be available and cheap soon at this rate.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
What do you think Garth Snow and Doug Weight are up to?
I got one of those cold calls to the house today from " The chimney company " it sounded like Garth.

Reactions: SteveH124

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Just a really random siting today, was driving around doing some shopping with my wife today in Bergen County NJ and ended up behind the Shawinigan Cataractes team bus in front of Garden State Plaza on route 17(southbound)...so random. Wonder what they’re doing in this area?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Random question here, as an outsider i've always viewed NYC sports teams as two groups and felt like fans latched on to one or the other as a whole without a lot of mixing and matching.

Group 1 is the mainstream group: Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers
Group 2 is the contrarian group: Mets, Jets, Nets, Islanders

is this a fair assessment, or have I just been making this up in my head my whole life?

Also how do the Devils fit into the big picture, and what are the college sports teams that an individual might root for when they live in NYC?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Random question here, as an outsider i've always viewed NYC sports teams as two groups and felt like fans latched on to one or the other as a whole without a lot of mixing and matching.

is this a fair assessment, or have I just been making this up in my head my whole life?

Also how do the Devils fit into the big picture, and what are the college sports teams that an individual might root for when they live in NYC?
You make it sound like kids start rooting for the Jets, Isles, Mets to piss off their fathers who root for the older, “established” teams. If you grew up in the 1970s like I did, maybe that would be an accurate view. Nowadays I’m not so sure. I’m an Islanders, Mets and Giants fan. Plenty of people around here root for teams in Group A and Group B. I think the Devils fall into the category of a NY Metro area team who doesn’t market themselves in NYC and has a robust fan base largely in New Jersey.

As far as college sports in this area goes, I’ve always thought of NY as pro town. I used to root for St Johns back in the Chris Mullin days, but college sports doesn’t grab me. Many people around here who went to college out of town sinply root for their alma mater.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Only thing that’s off is nets. Basically everyone is a Knicks fan

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I assume due to being the New Jersey Nets for so long?

I appreciate the replies, it's obviously something I had built a preconception around many years ago as a young sports fan and never bothered to verify or challenge.
It's a big generalization but many people do fall into one of those two categories. Although obviously there's a lot of overlap too.

I think it's more of a geography thing than a generational thing. The Jets used to hold training camp on Long Island so it's not surprising that many LI'ers and Eastern Queens fans would choose Jets/Isles/Mets.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

If I could make a generalization about NYC college teams it would most likely be Syracuse outside of St. John's as MJF mentioned.

Cuse pushes hard to be "New York's College Team" and with the lack of opposition (Rutgers, Hofstra, Stony Brook??) most gravitate to the Orange if their alma mater doesn't have a big-time basketball or football team.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Only thing that’s off is nets. Basically everyone is a Knicks fan
I'm not much of a basketball fan as I never really had a team growing up (I don't hate the Knicks but was never a big fan) but when the Nets moved to Brooklyn, I assumed we'd (we meaning my sons and me) start rooting for the Nets. Never happened. I gave it a couple of half azzed tries but they really didn't take. I don't know of anyone who jumped on the Nets bandwagon when they moved. I do know some folks, however, who did jump on the Islanders wagon once they moved to Brooklyn. People living in Manhattan who - for whatever reason - were not Rags fans but were otherwise sports or hockey fans who were open to a new team.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I assume due to being the New Jersey Nets for so long?

I appreciate the replies, it's obviously something I had built a preconception around many years ago as a young sports fan and never bothered to verify or challenge.

Definitely due to the nets being in jersey for so long yes

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just to add an asterisk to the NY sports team groupings, there used to be an exception for the baseball teams because old-timers who were Dodgers/Giants fans then adopted the Mets as the National League team. A lot of those guys are gone, but I'll bet that passed to the next generation and a lot of current Mets fans can trace their fandom back to the Dodgers/Giants.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If I could make a generalization about NYC college teams it would most likely be Syracuse outside of St. John's as MJF mentioned.

Cuse pushes hard to be "New York's College Team" and with the lack of opposition (Rutgers, Hofstra, Stony Brook??) most gravitate to the Orange if their alma mater doesn't have a big-time basketball or football team.
ASide from St Johns, NYC doesn’t have big time college basketball and never had a big time college football program. As you said, Syracuse would be the closest geographically (or Rutgers if you can call them big time). Army gets a decent following but they aren’t a powerhouse by any means.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
ASide from St Johns, NYC doesn’t have big time college basketball and never had a big time college football program. As you said, Syracuse would be the closest geographically (or Rutgers if you can call them big time). Army gets a decent following but they aren’t a powerhouse by any means.

upload_2018-9-24_13-38-38.png

:sarcasm:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Group 2 is commonly referred to as JIMs, because nobody roots for the Nets.

Those two groups exist for sure, but it's by no means the most common. There are so many things that play into what makes someone a fan of which team. Doublechili hits on some of that with the Dodgers/Giatns stuff for baseball. MJF and I are fans of the same teams, Giants, Mets, and Islanders. I'd say that usually there's one of the three teams that doesn't fit for most fans. Our outlier is the Giants (thank God).

I think a lot of Mets fans came from families where they rooted for the Dodgers/Giants and couldn't stand the Yankees, so they adopted the Mets and then it gets passed down. In the 80's, New York was a Mets town. In the 90's, the Yankees put together an incredible run winning a bunch of championships. That definitely impacted who people rooted for, if they grew up in those time periods. I know a ton of Yankees fans who are only fans because they were winning while they were growing up.

Hockey is similar with the winning stuff. The Islanders were obviously the powerhouse of the 80's, which attracted a lot of the current fans and their families. Having the Rangers win in '94 and the Devils winning a bunch during that time period really hurt the ability for the Islanders to attract more fans, and I personally believe that's a big reason we lag behind in that department so much.

Football, I'm not sure why anyone is a Jets fan. Probably stems back to Namath, but they're definitely the less popular of the two teams. The Giants winning Super Bowls more recently likely hasn't helped their case.

Basketball, this is a Knicks city and I don't think the Nets will touch that anytime soon. I often forget the Nets even exist. Even though the Nets were on Long Island originally, they were gone for far too long for anyone to have ties to that team.

College, as everyone else has said, is probably Syracuse. Though, it's not really a college town. MJF is right that it's a pro sports town. We have too many options professionally to pay attention to college, and we don't have many good programs in the area. St. John's is another team people will rally behind if they're doing well in basketball, but that's about it.

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What’s wrong with Oklahoma? They should have crushed Army lol.
My son was texting me at dinner about the Army/OK game. I literally didn't understand what I was reading (partially because it was written in 11 year old jargon) but my brain couldn't comprehend the concept that that game would be even remotely close. I haven't gone back to see what happened as I don't care all that much but its baffling how Army would take that game to OT.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Football, I'm not sure why anyone is a Jets fan. Probably stems back to Namath, but they're definitely the less popular of the two teams. The Giants winning Super Bowls more recently likely hasn't helped their case.

When I was young I could ride my bike to Hofstra and watch the Jets practice. Back then security wasn't what it is today so I could get on the practice field. For a 10 year old Namath was larger than life. He will always be my favorite football player.

Reactions: Costigan77

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wow, that's a lot of fascinating discussion that I didn't expect. Thank you!

New York is really a unique place when it comes to sports, rivalries, and fans. There are so many factors as to why people choose the teams they do, I really don't think outsiders understand it all that much. It's highly populated, condensed, and competitive. There are three NHL teams within 20 miles of each other, two football teams who literally play in the same stadium, two baseball teams who play miles apart, two basketball teams right next to each other too. Other places have multiple teams, just not as many or set up the same way. LA is probably the closest at this point, but that's relatively new for them with the football teams being in the area.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
New York is really a unique place when it comes to sports, rivalries, and fans. There are so many factors as to why people choose the teams they do, I really don't think outsiders understand it all that much. It's highly populated, condensed, and competitive. There are three NHL teams within 20 miles of each other, two football teams who literally play in the same stadium, two baseball teams who play miles apart, two basketball teams right next to each other too. Other places have multiple teams, just not as many or set up the same way. LA is probably the closest at this point, but that's relatively new for them with the football teams being in the area.
It makes being a fan much more fun in the NY area. Many of your friends, neighbors, relatives, co-workers, etc. root for the "other" team so it certainly spices things up. In almost every other market everyone simply roots for the home team which is a bit vanilla...

Reactions: brachyrynchos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->