We should have NHL and EHL (European hockey league) playing in the final?

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Imagine how awesome it would be to have the best hockey players in North America and in Europe as a difference conference. I put 15 cities with a big market in the different conference. It could be a bit more though. I know the distance is a bit longer so only 15 away games in a different conference, so you play each of different teams in different conference once. What do you think?

(NHL)

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Colorado
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York
Philadelphia
Seattle
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

------------------------

(EHL)

Berlin
Bern
Bratislava
Copenhagen
Gothernburg
Helsinki
Moscow
Paris
Oslo
Prague
Stockholm
St. Petersburg
Turku
Wien
Zurich

Okey, before you guys in Canada or USA start to complain about this, you have to understand that this game is very big in countries like Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Switzerland and Slovakia. Some of these countries ice hockey is even bigger than football so nro.1 sport. Also there are currently about 220 European players in the NHL and loads of great hockey players in Europe like in KHL as well. This system would be international, interesting and good way to spread ice hockey.

Imagine to have a final "New York Rangers" against "Paris Liberty" some day? ;) It's just an idea, think about it.

Last edited:

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
No players want to have to fly across seas every other day, and fans don't want there to be like 40 games a year to compensate for this. Sorry, but it's a bad idea that will never happen.

That's why they are conferences. Let's say you play only 15 away game and you can do many of them in the same trip.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Don't think it's realistic at all (or what I'd want to see), but I'd be interested to see some sort of round robin tournament between the various champions of the top leagues. There isn't really enough current connection between them to make that feasible right now, but some day.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Know where else hockey is big? NHL cities...

Not only will teams have to fly around the world, but now with only 1 north american conference the current teams are now spread across 4 time zones.

You're solving a problem that doesn't exist. If you want to do something with Europe just do a soccer style champions league at the end of the year that we can all ignore.

Reactions: Lays and tgo0

member 305909

You don't give your location but I am quite sure it isn't in North-America. If it was you would think what you have just proposed is just BS.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Imagine how awesome it would be to have the best hockey players in North America and in Europe as a difference conference. I put 15 cities with a big market in the different conference. It could be a bit more though. I know the distance is a bit longer so only 15 away games in a different conference, so you play each of different teams in different conference once. What do you think?

Okey, before you guys in Canada or USA start to complain about this, you have to understand that this game is very big in countries like Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech, Switzerland and Slovakia. Some of these countries ice hockey is even bigger than football so nro.1 sport. Also there are currently about 220 European players in the NHL and loads of great hockey players in Europe like in KHL as well. This system would be international, interesting and good way to spread ice hockey.

Imagine to have a final "New York Rangers" against "Paris Liberty" some day? think about it.

Every idea is not a good idea. This is one of those times.

It would not be awesome.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Invent instantaneous travel and I'll be a lot more open to the idea.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

(NHL)

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Colorado
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York
Philadelphia
Seattle
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

------------------------

(EHL)

Berlin
Bern
Bratislava
Copenhagen
Gothernburg
Helsinki
Moscow
Paris
Oslo
Prague
Stockholm
St. Petersburg
Turku
Wien
Zurich

Imagine to have a final "New York Rangers" against "Paris Liberty" some day? ;) It's just an idea, think about it.

Where's the other 16, soon to be 17 NHL teams going? You can't fold them like that. Come up with 17 more Euro/Asian teams.

164 game schedule, it would totally work. Say goodbye to all Waynes records.:sarcasm:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Meh... keep things as they are.... NHL Stanley Cup winner, plays Euro Champions League winner.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Half those European markets are way too small to host an NHL team and as a result would be much less profitable than an NA counterpart.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Lol, nobody in NA cares about the hockey being played in Europe nor should they. European people interested in watching the best ice hockey in the world live, will just have to invest in an airplane ticket and travel to see it. Or they could just watch on TV like most people.

Reactions: tgo0

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

(NHL)

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Colorado
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York
Philadelphia
Seattle
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

hmm

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
One of the worst idea I’ve ever seen posted on here.

Let’s contract 17 teams (why would those owners do that) while expanding to Seattle, then let’s move to a bunch of smaller market that don’t the infrastructure required for a current NHL team. Let’s not forget some of them are 12 times zones apart from the teams you let stay in the NHL.

There are leagues in all those countries already, obviously not on the NHL level but for that there’s always centre ice.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I think it’s interesting but I think I’d rather see like a two or three week so called “champions” league where the top teams from the nhl face the top teams from the “EHL” or KHL. Etc. but that would mean shortening our season just to compensate and I doubt the NHLPA would ever go for that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Problems with this:

1. There's no Euro League and the leagues won't fold to make one
2. Travel would be a nightmare for everyone involved, not only for going across the Atlantic (could you imagine going from Vancouver to Berlin?), but also within Europe. Europe's big, believe it or not.
3. The NHL teams would just slaughter 99% of the Euro teams.

If anything, I'd rather see a series of NHL all-stars vs all stars of all of the European leagues. Would the NHL all-stars win? Yeah, almost definitely, but it would still be entertaining.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

(NHL)

Boston
Calgary
Chicago
Colorado
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Montreal
New York
Philadelphia
Seattle
Toronto
Vancouver
Winnipeg

------------------------

(EHL)

Berlin
Bern
Bratislava
Copenhagen
Gothernburg
Helsinki
Moscow
Paris
Oslo
Prague
Stockholm
St. Petersburg
Turku
Wien
Zurich

Discussed many times already, so I won't basically tell anything new here.

The travel won't work. The NHL is working hard on cutting down on travel within the US and Canada because it is complicated and expensive enough as it is. You can't hold a meaningfull regular season between NA and Europe.

You strip half the fanbases of their NHL teams just like that. I want to see you in a room with die hards of the teams you just scratched because what?

The KHL tries to expand to Europe every year. A major if not the major problem is european teams can't afford it. They can't afgord a KHL team's budget let alone NHL which is significantly bigger. And we're talking about hockey countries only while you suggest Paris for this kind of league. If you please go find the thread about the WHC held in Paris partially. You will learn a thing or two about the popularity of hockey there.

So add the lack of budget to lack of popularity in many locations you pick and you have a recipe for desaster.

And oh, a European Hockey League you say? How about Asia? Half the KHL teams are based in Asia. I want to see you in a room with their fans too proclaiming their teams are not good enough for your great superleague.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Maybe in some parallel universe, there is such league in progress. There was a talk about Euro division in 90s, wasn't it? And i saw an short shot, that even in 70s it was talk about it.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Obviously for many reasons this is an unrealistic proposal.

But I don't think the travel aspect is a deal-breaker. Most teams would stay in-conference and make just a few 4-6 game road trips per year to the other continent.

Toronto Wolfpack are a Canadian rugby team playing in the British rugby league (which also includes French teams). Transatlantic sports leagues are almost a certainty in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->