GDT: we play senator team

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So for argument's sake...when Seattle gets a team and it's time for realignment again, what do you propose our division looks like?

From a time zone stand point Nashville doesn't make sense being the only team in a different time zone. But from a regional standpoint, it makes a ton of sense.

Put us in a division with Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo, Vancouver and Edmonton.

I know it makes no sense geographically. They just all suck and we might be able to make the playoffs.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Put us in a division with Arizona, Ottawa, Buffalo, Vancouver and Edmonton.

I know it makes no sense geographically. They just all suck and we might be able to make the playoffs.
I like this idea. Makes as much sense as Winnipeg being in the Southeast.

But for real, the NHL would probably have to go to 8 divisions of 4 teams. It makes more sense than 4 divisions of 8 teams. The winner of each division automatically makes the playoffs and earns home ice in the 1st round, then have 4 wild card teams per conference.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I like this idea. Makes as much sense as Winnipeg being in the Southeast.

But for real, the NHL would probably have to go to 8 divisions of 4 teams. It makes more sense than 4 divisions of 8 teams.

In this hypothetical, how would you format the playoff rules? I'm not asking to be difficult, I'm just curious what your opinion would be. Would you do it simply the top 8 per conference? Or would it be the top 2 per division? The latter option would lead to a really week Pacific Northwest playoff contingent assuming we have something like Seattle/Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Hornets moving then subsequently being bad when they were brought back made me lose interest in NBA basketball for sure. At least they're not the Bobcats anymore, that's a start.

I used to love the Hornets back in the day.

I did too. One of my very earliest sports memories was watching Mourning hit that shot to knock Boston out of the 1993 Playoffs. A few months later we moved to Charlotte. Went to many games, saw everyone. Kobe, Shaq, Ewing, Barkley, Malone, Hakeem, Garnett, Iverson, Hill....

I bought a 12 game pack for the Bobcats in 2010-11, did it up until the last season before the name change when ticket prices skyrocketed. During that time I very briefly got to meet MJ at a fan event thing at the arena, just shook his hand and that was it. I was there alone so I didn't want to bother him too much and be an autograph hound but he clearly did not want to be there, in fact he left like 15 minutes into the hour-long event. I was actually told by one of the long time season ticket holders that the last couple of times he did nothing but pressure the fans there to buy his Jordan-Branded Bobcats shirts and also tried to pressure them into buying his Hanes apparel.

I get he is a well known athlete who didn't get a lot of privacy in his playing days, but he's not playing anymore and he's done nothing other than market his name to draw interest to fans. He also doesn't have a clue how to run a team.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Anyone else see the main board thread on the possible new playoff format?

Gotta say I like it. Won’t personally be missing any conference rivalries since we’ve been such a non-factor for so long and I like the potential for new, interesting matchups.
Almost anything is better than what we have now, IMO. No team should make the playoffs over a team with more points just because their division sucks.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm not sure I like the idea of playing against McDavid more though.

We’ve done pretty well against him this far. Slavin has done a great job shutting him down.

Also, Chia is mismanaging the hell out of that team with bad trades and signings . They already have no depth or secondary scoring. I wouldn’t be too worried about them.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Anyone else see the main board thread on the possible new playoff format?

Gotta say I like it. Won’t personally be missing any conference rivalries since we’ve been such a non-factor for so long and I like the potential for new, interesting matchups.

I thought that was just some random blogger who drew that up for fun?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
In this hypothetical, how would you format the playoff rules? I'm not asking to be difficult, I'm just curious what your opinion would be. Would you do it simply the top 8 per conference? Or would it be the top 2 per division? The latter option would lead to a really week Pacific Northwest playoff contingent assuming we have something like Seattle/Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary.
I edited my post. I like my idea (obviously) but I'm open to other ones. The top 8 per conference would work, but I think if you win your division you should at least make the playoffs. Then have 4 wild card spots. Maybe change my idea from the division winners automatically having home ice to the top 4 teams having home ice.

Sort of like the NFL but with 2 more teams.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I thought that was just some random blogger who drew that up for fun?

According to Custance, the idea of taking the best 16 teams regardless of conference has been tossed around amongst players and gm’s and has gotten favourable reviews.

I like the idea. I, however, don’t like the talks of more teams making the playoffs. 16 is enough.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
According to Custance, the idea of taking the best 16 teams regardless of conference has been tossed around amongst players and gm’s and has gotten favourable reviews.

I like the idea. I, however, don’t like the talks of more teams making the playoffs. 16 is enough.
It almost makes conferences and divisions relevant only for scheduling purposes, but I kinda like it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The folks at PNC know quite well how many fans are expected any night. The game-day sheet that is sent to every arena employee includes expected actual attendance and it's usually within 500 or so. They're doing this because they know how many people are coming to this one game. Maybe they'll do it a few more times if they have other games like this, but maybe they won't have to. This is not like it's a new business plan. It's a one-game thing. Who gives a crap what other markets say? This is about getting people fired up *here* and *tonight*. People getting fired up about devaluing season tickets are way, way overreacting.

With all the excitement going around with Dundon and Peters comments and filling the 100s and 200s tonight, I'm expecting a demoralizing, heartbreaking loss in regulation that may or may not include mass suicide, both on the ice and in the stands.

It's really the only way this can end.

And please don't call me a pessimist. We've all seen it 100 times before. I'm just pointing out what we already know, but don't want to acknowledge.

ayyyyyyyyy

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I don't know. They would probably have to use the 2-3-2 format when say for example Florida and Vancouver draw each other 3 years in a row. Then you talk about how when the Panthers go to Vancouver, Florida fans don't want to stay up till 2am for game end and Vancouver fans have to take off work at 3:30 to watch the whole game when the Canucks go to Florida.

It just sounds like something that 5 years down the road will piss more people off and will have everyone calling for a change.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't know. They would probably have to use the 2-3-2 format when say for example Florida and Vancouver draw each other 3 years in a row. Then you talk about how when the Panthers go to Vancouver, Florida fans don't want to stay up till 2am for game end and Vancouver fans have to take off work at 3:30 to watch the whole game when the Canucks go to Florida.

It just sounds like something that 5 years down the road will piss more people off and will have everyone calling for a change.
Yeah that's a huge potential drawback. It only works in the NFL because they play on the weekends (and obviously play way less games).

They would probably have to keep it at top 8 teams per conference and do East vs West brackets.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
When the Whale joined the NHL in 1979-80 along with Edmonton, Winnipeg and Quebec, the top 16 made the playoffs regardless of division. They also played a balanced schedule: 21 teams, each played four games against the other, two at home, two on the road, equals 80 games. Then the playoffs were 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, etc. It was ridiculously fair and a ton of fun. Every change made since then to the schedule and the playoffs has made it worse, in an effort to save money, artificially create rivalries and appease TV.

Check out this first-round series between the No. 5 Islanders and No. 12 Kings from 1980. Four games in five nights, nobody died and the Islanders went on to win the Cup, beating the No. 1 seeded Flyers in the Final - despite being in the same division.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I just want to point out:

We just played a must-win game where the opposing game had a rookie who had never scored a point before and it was his birthday, and said player did not score.

This is a remarkable moment in Hurricanes history.
Whiffed on an open net. The karma is changing!!!!

Or.......White is fully on board #FallinforDahlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad