Post-Game Talk (GBU): We picked up the win

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, I counted specifically OT wins, and ignored the shootout ones. I just included the shootout in my Skinner analysis because it's popular for people to complain about Skinner not shooting there either, but he has demonstrated to be more of a liability after sixty minutes than a help. I don't remember the numbers exactly and can't find them for the life of me, but I want to say he's -11 in terms of goals scored/against while out there in 3v3 since it began a couple seasons back. And two of the three wins Skinner had, again, were in situations where the other team was going to have zero scoring chances, on our 4v3 power play. I'm all for putting him out there when we have a PP in OT. But historically, he's just bad at 3v3 hockey for reasons that can be traced to what he does on the ice, and we are incredibly successful in OT without him there.

I'm sure I can find a coach who has a good player who is bad in OT and doesn't get used, but that would require enormous amounts of time that I don't have.

Now, this shouldn't be construed as any sort of defense of using, say, Sobotka in OT. But I have zero issue with the sitting Skinner aspect. And Skinner usually does get in, even though he didn't last night. He's just not one of the first two shifts usually.

Skinner did get in one shift last night with about 2 mins to go in OT.

Other than that we will agree to disagree.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Good:
- I'm 3-0 at games this year!
- Reinhart was a stud
- Dahlin was fancy and his shot (his weakest atttribute) is improving

Bad:
- I'm only planning 1 more game for this year...

Reactions: Willgamesh

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
One of Botts missed opportunities to not have the cap space because of taking on too much cap in trades like useless Hunwick.
Could have locked up a steal there before he broke out like many predicted.
That gonna cost us 2 to 3 mil in cap space down the road not to mention he could go to arbitration on his next deal so no leverage..

Good, I hope it does.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Good:
- I'm 3-0 at games this year!
- Reinhart was a stud
- Dahlin was fancy and his shot (his weakest atttribute) is improving

Bad:
- I'm only planning 1 more game for this year...
We are setting up a Gofundme to get you tickets to all our remaining home games! I'm also 2-0.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just got back home from the game. I’m now 6-3 when going :5:
<snip>
Start a "go fund me"; I'll throw in 20 bucks. 20 wins in 30 remaining games would be 98 points, essentially a lock for the playoffs.

When I become king of the world the crime of playing Vladimir Sobotka in a 3v3 OT will be punishable by being hanged.

Isn't it "hung"? :/
I prefer the brevity of "punishable by hanging".

Alternatively, @sabremike, you could make real life have a video-game-like feature where every time Housley steps behind the Sabres bench he dies, re-spawns, dies, etc., in an eternal loop until he steps out from behind the bench.

Reactions: jBuds and sabremike

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Reinhart is the most engaged player on the ice right now IMO. I don't know where you get that part from. Dude is all over the place, paying the price. I've been so damn impressed with him this season. I wouldn't change a thing.

I kind of misspoke about his engagement level, but I still hold the opinion that Reinhart would be more engaged as a centerman. When I watch him on the wing it just seems like he's defering any decision making, or any instructions to his centerman whether it's Jack or whoever else. Forcing him to be THE guy that is directing his linemates may bring out even more out of him.

I made mention in the GDT that I thought his shift AFTER his goal, was a lot more impressive than the goal itself. Reinhart took the faceoff with Sheary and Mittelstadt, and it was the first time that I noticed the jump in his step that I remember from him playing in the WJC's. During this shift, he stole the puck away from the Minnesota Player that stopped their transition and fed it to Casey (IIRC). He then jumped the lane of another guy to beat the player to the puck again. They had a few more chances with a tip gone wide. It was a fun shift for Sam for sure.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Reinhart is the most engaged player on the ice right now IMO. I don't know where you get that part from. Dude is all over the place, paying the price. I've been so damn impressed with him this season. I wouldn't change a thing.

"miT": I see what you did there..... Best draft pick ya ever made eh..? other than that Getzlaf guy right.......? LoL!

So who were you before you "dopplegangled" your user ID?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->