Post-Game Talk: We only need five players, but we have more.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oilers twitter announced that the team arrived safely in Dallas before any of the chaos hit.

I wonder if that back-to-back game on the schedule might've saved their lives.

Thank the compressed schedule, for once.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It’s pretty ugly downtown. Many older collapsed buildings. Power outages. Last night was one I won’t ever forget, for the Oiler win and the tornadoes to which I had a front row seat and watched. I’m still in a state of shock over seeing what happened.
Glad to hear that you are safe.

My thoughts to the people of Nashville.
Hockey becomes irrelevant pretty fast in the face of something like this.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Who wins the race to 130 points?

Leon Draisaitl: 107 points in 66 games
Sam Bennett: 128 points in 361 games (career)

Points don't matter. It's all about pullups. Sam can do one now. Percentage wise that is a higher increase from his draft year than Drai, so Sam wins.

Reactions: Del Preston

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Evolving Wild are now blocking and banning any submissions involving the name Draisaitl.

The purveyors of information refutting counter information while digging heads in sand

nuff said

But these trolls are actually now acting as if the feedback is unjust, as if its unwarranted, or unexpected.

Are these twins 15 and 16 and online in mommies basement somewhere bored of playing Fortnite?

0*UE1enfziixZjcWjv.

Perhaps one of the twins is named Jonny as well. Or maybe both :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Del Preston

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just want to reiterate how much I love Yamo the Honey Badger.

Heart and soul gamer that kid is.

22 GP, 23 points, +17, and completely dominates the forecheck.

If you’re on the Oilers bench and you see the smallest guy in the NHL having the biggest set of balls who plays with all out effort, how can you not go hard and finish every check?

What a revelation Yamamoto has been for us. I honestly can’t remember a more likeable player we’ve had in the last 25 years or so.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Because these really aren't statisticians, they are not educated and trained in methodology, in avoiding confirmation bias, in avoiding seeking geared results. Been involved in these convos for decades and that self learned stats guys generally don't get it. Because they don't have the background, principles of statistics and scientific analysis. They think they do.

Lastly going back to Horcoff and beyond a bigger play is at work. The Stats Nerd that wants to think that they are so ingenious to take a radical position that nobody else would make. That this island of one puts them in some sort of pantheon of uber intelligence. Instead of wearing a dunce hat. The degree to which analytics will go to trumpet very ordinary players and proclaim greatness signals avarice, a want for attention, for hits, and like stats trolling. They WANT their findings to be entirely counterintuitive. They want it to be revolutionary, they want the sense that if you are not involved in this divining that you don't know jack about whats really going on. Indeed this is the purview of sellers of false knowledge. That their brand of divination holds the true unexpected answers..

This never really gets beyond the contempt that Vic Ferrari exhibited having 4 accounts here at the same time all agreeing with each other on analytics. To further some false sense of consensus. The worst is that some of these deplorable posters have parlayed this nonsense into actual hockey jobs. Its mercenary, self serving, and the tactics used pretty unscrupulous.

I mean, I think the tools have value and there is value behind being one of the innovators in a field like that. If pushed in the right direction by a good manager I'm sure lots of these book cookers end up doing a lot of good for their clubs.

But to a certain degree... It's non-sensical. The "expected" stats are utter drivel to me, because they just get used to parrot the most absurd narratives.

And then you have guys like this EvolvingWild fellow that take these numbers into Hart conversations?

It's kind of ridiculous entirely to me. A thought experiment; would you rather have a player that scored on every chance but rarely got chances, or a player that got a ton of chances but never scored? A large number of these guys would take the guy that never scored. Lol.

I've quite enjoyed tracking some of these stats over the years. Basically every player in the league whose been considered elite for a period of time has "unsustainable" good PDO. Some of these players have had this kind of unsustainable PDO for over a decade. Meaning he's scored on more shots than expected and got scored on in less shots than expected for over a decade. Yet the same guy is somehow pigeonholed into being evaluated on his in Game contributions based on median stats to create an "expected" goals for and against. That's silly to take that expected number at face value; Getzlaf has already proven that he is several standard deviations better than the mean for well over 1000 games...

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Yeah. **** them, let em’ have it.

Call out a team and fanbase as large and passionate as Oiler fans and you’ll hear about it when you’re wrong.

It’s like these guys expect to endlessly bash and not get chirped back, those guys are so thin skinned.

They’re calling out all Oiler fans now on Twitter in some of their repsonses.
We can also just let them be wrong. Anyone with half a brain knows they are.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What a crazy experience. I'm sure it's something that'll be tattooed in your memory forever.

The closest I experienced was the Queens/Brooklyn tornado in 2010 which went right over my bus on the way home from work. It was only on F1 but it was jarring to be in the middle of it and it happened for only a couple of minutes.
I also saw a tornado in South Carolina some years before that but it was off in the distance on the farm about a mile down the road and it was more of a "rope" tornado, not one of those thicker wedge tornadoes like the one in Nashville last night (Yes, I'm a bit of a weather enthusiast haha).

Ya this was a day and night I will never forget for multiple reasons. A very very memorable road trip.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Man CP was saltier than McDonald's fries last night. What a bunch of insecure babies.

Note to CP: If the Preds are trash because they got waxed by the Oilers, then teams that lose to the Preds are worse.

I like this new and improved version of GK!

Reactions: Oilhawks

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Draisaitl now only a -6 on the year
Sheahan looked off
Yammer’s no look to Drai, my god
McDavid gets the game winner immidiately followed by the DYR line, to score again to put it away
Nurse was painful to watch most of the night, ends up with 4 points
Suck it Rinne
Dr.Drai becomes career ppg player
Smith was good, he’s gotta be the guy down the stretch and in the playoffs

Reactions: BakedYams

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Yamamoto just hanging with a bro.

They’ll **** lions up no problem, much like when Yamo beat Chara at every puck battle last time we played the Bruins.

Jokes aside, the older I’ve gotten in life the more I am convinced that a persons competitive will and desire to keep fighting is the most important character trait a person can have.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
What movie was that ridiculous celly from again?

I wish I knew. Looks like a musical cuz dancing

Real talk for a second... I couldn't sleep for the life of me last night and at like 2 AM I was wondering the exact same thing.

That looks like a typical Bollywood movie scene. Anything can break out to a dance.

No I remember seeing that...maybe it was just a gif, but I thought it was part of something mainstream

If anyone is still interested, it really is from a Bollywood movie.
This one:

Bajirao Mastani (2015) - Reference View - IMDb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad