We need to start diving and embellishing like Boston.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Until that f***ing ogre piece of shit Chara retires nothing will happen. He's the bodyguard for little bitches like Marchand and DeBrusk.

Also in b4 Bruin fans cross posting this thread to their board or posting screenshots of this thread. I know y'all love doing that

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
There is no conspiracy.

We just need our players to "act" it out like other players do. Summon their inner soccer player. We aren't getting called too often, we're not drawing enough.
check the stat posted in earlier in this thread. Leafs are bottom of the league in power play opportunites since the 2009-10 season. We see the evidence every single night. We are drawing penalties, they just aren't getting called. How much more can you embellish getting dragged to the ice in the slot? Did Goat need to slide head first into the boards and break his neck to get that arm up? It's not like we weren't "owed" a couple at that point either, since the refs seem to love their game management so much.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Until that ****ing ogre piece of **** Chara retires nothing will happen. He's the bodyguard for little *****es like Marchand and DeBrusk.

Also in b4 Bruin fans cross posting this thread to their board or posting screenshots of this thread. I know y'all love doing that

Don’t be so mean. He’s only half Ogre. He’s half Giraffe too. They say his family dinners are really messy.

Reactions: 1specter

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Until that ****ing ogre piece of **** Chara retires nothing will happen. He's the bodyguard for little *****es like Marchand and DeBrusk.

The ironic part is that I first saw this argument IN FAVOUR of Boston during the Stanley Cup Finals, and I kept it in my back pocket.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
It’s ridiculous that a team with so called speed doesn’t enter the areas to draw penalties. This is a major flaw with this system.

They’d draw more penalties if they actually drove to the house when they get a step on guys as opposed to turning away because they’re afraid of getting hit. Nylander does it constantly, and that’s from a guy who thinks Nylander is a good player.

They don’t hit anyone and the whole league knows it so of course there is extra attention being paid to their stick work. You can’t have your stick horizontal on anyone who has even a half step on you, especially near their hands. Ya sure maybe we’ve gotten the short end of the stick the last few games but they need to stop with the pointless little hooks and slashes on guys that clearly have them beat. Marner’s hook in OT is a prime example, he barely impacted the initial shot with his hook and essentially gave CBJ 2 chances to end it. If you’re beat let him go or if you really think it’s going to save a goal haul the guy down entirely.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’d draw more penalties if they actually drove to the house when they get a step on guys as opposed to turning away because they’re afraid of getting hit. Nylander does it constantly, and that’s from a guy who thinks Nylander is a good player.

They don’t hit anyone and the whole league knows it so of course there is extra attention being paid to their stick work. You can’t have your stick horizontal on anyone who has even a half step on you, especially near their hands. Ya sure maybe we’ve gotten the short end of the stick the last few games but they need to stop with the pointless little hooks and slashes on guys that clearly have them beat. Marner’s hook in OT is a prime example, he barely impacted the initial shot with his hook and essentially gave CBJ 2 chances to end it. If you’re beat let him go or if you really think it’s going to save a goal haul the guy down entirely.

You’ve nailed it. Every NHL analyst that I’ve heard talking about this subject says the same thing.

To say the league is out to get them is just plain lunacy.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
You’ve nailed it. Every NHL analyst that I’ve heard talking about this subject says the same thing.

To say the league is out to get them is just plain lunacy.

I don’t put too much stock in all the NHL analysts myself, but I agree with them on this. Just look how many penalties the Leafs take on guys who get a step on them and cut in. Most of the leafs either turn away or take a shot from a terrible angle. It’s not just the forwards either, I’ve seen Barrie do it multiple times as well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t put too much stock in all the NHL analysts myself, but I agree with them on this. Just look how many penalties the Leafs take on guys who get a step on them and cut in. Most of the leafs either turn away or take a shot from a terrible angle. It’s not just the forwards either, I’ve seen Barrie do it multiple times as well.

I’ve heard Button, Bobby Mac and Odog comment on it within the last week. They have a pretty good idea.

kipper et al talked about it last year.

Last edited:

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I generally like their takes, but there are others out there who I don’t think really get it, despite some of them having played in the league. Biz and to a lesser extent Whit’s, actual hockey analysis takes on Spittin Chiclets being an example.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If it happens on home ice again just start throwing shit at the refs tbh, enough is enough. If management/coaches arent gonna say anything the fans should at least let it be known.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
This team needs to focus on playing a decent 60 minute hockey game. They **** the bed in the opening minutes of the game, **** the bed in the third period then **** the bed again in OT.

The least of this teams problems is the officiating. These buffoons get a call and what do they do - let in a short handed goal.

If people think the problem is officiating, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Im a Leafs fan, its like my default emotion.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If it happens on home ice again just start throwing **** at the refs tbh, enough is enough. If management/coaches arent gonna say anything the fans should at least let it be known.
Well that’s the Toronto way, but how about the fans deviate from the Euro-trash methods and get at the root of the problem; the players.

Boo the following : horrible defensive efforts, turning away from hits, not laying the body when it’s obvious they should, terrible line changes, not sticking up for each other....

Morgan Rielly and Auston Matthews would have been serenaded tonight.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Refs are against us?

Boo f’ing hoo.

You can tell when we lose a game. Smart money says a loss leads directly to either a Babcock or Ref thread.

Reactions: CDJ

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I generally like their takes, but there are others out there who I don’t think really get it, despite some of them having played in the league. Biz and to a lesser extent Whit’s, actual hockey analysis takes on Spittin Chiclets being an example.

I tried spittin’ chicklets but the yankee accents and swearing did me in.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just a theory - I think refs are calling penalties more on how players react rather than seeing the infraction. Watch Boston players, they are excellent at this...if a stick touches their hands, they stop moving and act like their hands are stuck. If a stick touches their legs, they go down. Any pressure on their back and they flop.

I noticed it tonight with Columbus too. Every little tap sent their players into a speed wobble or they went down, even just the slightest brushing.

We need to start drawing more penalties. Refs are not capable of actually calling the infractions by the book due to the speed and complexity of the game, so you gotta sell it a little.
You really want to be known as the English version of the Montreal Canadiens?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What we need to emulate of the Boston game is the willingness to play the body.

Last night's game was just one more lesson in "if one player goes after the puck with their stick and the other player goes after the puck with their body, the one using his body wins almost all the time".

I counted seven missed contacts in the few seconds leading up the the first goal (disallowed after the challenge). The other goals, except the last, were the same story.

We can win games by outrunning the weaker teams, but that won't get us through more than a round, or, if lucky, two, during the playoffs.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
NHL.com - Stats

Y'all crazy, link above is proof Leafs are legitimately getting calls....oh NVM.

Think about it from a net perspective. Not just the opportunities.

Last year, we netted 5 more PPs than being short handed. Anaheim was down 60 or something like that. There is no conspiracy.

Just means that we have to be efficient with the chances we get and step up 5v5 play.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Bruins are a bunch of rats. What the TML need to do is go after the refs and call them out. Yesterday Pasta smashed Muzzin in the head going after a bouncing puck. There was a linesman right beside Muzzin and nobody said boo. Besides the fact that it was dangerous it should have been a penalty. Why aren’t we getting the call. AM needs to spend some of that 11.634 million a season on a fine calling out how s#*$ the refs are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad