We need to start diving and embellishing like Boston.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Just a theory - I think refs are calling penalties more on how players react rather than seeing the infraction. Watch Boston players, they are excellent at this...if a stick touches their hands, they stop moving and act like their hands are stuck. If a stick touches their legs, they go down. Any pressure on their back and they flop.

I noticed it tonight with Columbus too. Every little tap sent their players into a speed wobble or they went down, even just the slightest brushing.

We need to start drawing more penalties. Refs are not capable of actually calling the infractions by the book due to the speed and complexity of the game, so you gotta sell it a little.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's bad officiating, especially the past week, but we're also on the perimeter too much not getting in on bodies. That helps with the stick calls usually.

Reactions: Azazel

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
It's bad officiating, especially the past week, but we're also on the perimeter too much not getting in on bodies. That helps with the stick calls usually.
you just can't make this argument after the absolutely blatant non-calls against Goat, Timo and Johnnson doing exactly what you described there. Goat was literally hauled to the ice in the slot driving the net. It was unmissable.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
you just can't make this argument after the absolutely blatant non-calls against Goat, Timo and Johnnson doing exactly what you described there. Goat was literally hauled to the ice in the slot driving the net. It was unmissable.
All were horrific non-calls, you'll get no argument from me.

Reactions: Al14

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just have Brendan Shanahan step in and say a few negative comments about the officiating.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

the best one was the ref actually watching Marchand stab muzzin with his stick and yelling at him

Reactions: Azazel and 67leafs

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Just a theory - I think refs are calling penalties more on how players react rather than seeing the infraction. Watch Boston players, they are excellent at this...if a stick touches their hands, they stop moving and act like their hands are stuck. If a stick touches their legs, they go down. Any pressure on their back and they flop.

I noticed it tonight with Columbus too. Every little tap sent their players into a speed wobble or they went down, even just the slightest brushing.

We need to start drawing more penalties. Refs are not capable of actually calling the infractions by the book due to the speed and complexity of the game, so you gotta sell it a little.

Yeah it could be one of several reasons but
This doesnt explain the clear cut penalties against the Leafs.

The Big Swede13

Sep 2, 2019
Tonight was a f***ing disgrace but nobody wants to call them out apparently. I guess Babcock doesn't want to lose some money

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tonight was a ****ing disgrace but nobody wants to call them out apparently. I guess Babcock doesn't want to lose some money
Either they were told to shut up while Shanny putting a case together against the officiating behind the scenes

Or

Babcock saving his money because he will be unemployed soon.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
To be clear Leaf are middle of the pack when it comes to taking penalties.

There is a legit argument that Leafs opponents don't get called for penalties when they should.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
This team needs to focus on playing a decent 60 minute hockey game. They shit the bed in the opening minutes of the game, shit the bed in the third period then shit the bed again in OT.

The least of this teams problems is the officiating. These buffoons get a call and what do they do - let in a short handed goal.

If people think the problem is officiating, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
One of the worst parts is that OUR announcers will absolutely at all costs avoid mentioning a missed call. They'll use terminology like "taken down" instead of "tripped", will never show the replays (even when a scoring chance was involved), and never acknowledge the increasingly frustrated home crowd who are openly booing and making chants about the refs. Watch any other home broadcast for any other team and they will mention it every time. There's more going on here than people know.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I think it's time Toronto management calls out the officiating. It's a disgrace. I've seen better officiating in 80s WWF events when they're setting up a rematch for Wrestlemania.
To be honest, I don't think it is by accident or something. But indeed, at least management could say something, so we as fans get the feeling they take us serious.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If this stupid Toronto penalty policy continues, the Leafs should consider building their next generation of teams a la Broad Street Bullies and really make those penalties worthwhile.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You need to cross check the other teams goalie in the head. That is how it is actually done.

I dunno man, depends on the team. David Backes literally did that to Freddie Andersen and they called offsetting penalties on Toronto to appease Jack Edwards and all the New England flunkies watching at home.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
If this stupid Toronto penalty policy continues, the Leafs should consider building their next generation of teams a la Broad Street Bullies and really make those penalties worthwhile.

It would be entertaining at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad