We need to acknowledge that on paper Stars have the most lethal forwards

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This thread is about the Stars offense, on paper no less. As for the switch on/off. If the Stars can go from first overall to picking third in the entry draft, with nearly identical rosters, I'd say making the playoffs again when they've adressed all their weaknessss (LHD, quality starter, new coach) isn't outrageous. They've added one of the better defensive centers, one of the better defensive defensemen, one of the better defensive minded coaches and a quality top 10/15 goalie in the league. I'd say that switch will be turned on and they will improve drastically in terms of team defense.

Agreed!

There's talk Spezza is often being forgotten, even in this thread a few posts above, and this is excellent proof of that. Hanzal and Faksa also might not produce more than 40 points, they play excellent defense and are amongst the best at their positions. Prefer either over Sheary. That said, I take the Pens forward pack above anyone else, including Dallas or Winnipeg.
I like Spezza Hanzal and Faksa. But Guentzel just had a historic playoff run and Sheary's season ppg was ludicrous.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
First one is wrong. Too soon to call Guentzel better than Spezza.

Ville Leino once looked like a world-beater in a playoff run as well.

Sheary over Hanzal is not an appropriate comparison because they play different roles. Hanzal going head to head against another teams top 6 center is arguably as important as the secondary scoring Sheary provides Pittsburgh.

Leino: had a great playoffs as a 26 year old after not putting up 20 points in 65 career
Guentzel: tore the AHL playoffs apart last year, tore up the AHL to start this year, put up a 32 goal, 65 point pace in the NHL over 40 games and then tore up the NHL playoffs this year. Oh yeah, he did all of this as a 21 year old pure rookie (first pro year, not just first NHL year)

Those aren't the same. If the comparison is Spezza on the wing vs Guentzel, I'd easily say Guentzel is better. The issue is that Spezza should be playing center, he's much better there than on the wing.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
How would Radulov look with the Centers Kessel has gotten to play with?

Too soon to call Guentzel better than Spezza. Ville Leino once looked like a world-beater in a playoff run as well.

Sheary over Hanzal is not an appropriate comparison because they play different roles. Hanzal going head to head against another teams top 6 center is arguably as important as the secondary scoring Sheary provides Pittsburgh.

Yeah, Bonino and Bozak are real world-beaters. :shakehead

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
How would Radulov look with the Centers Kessel has gotten to play with?

Too soon to call Guentzel better than Spezza. Ville Leino once looked like a world-beater in a playoff run as well.

Good lord Guentzel over Spezza!? I feel like Spezza has always been underrated around these parts but now that he doesn't have the more present Ottawa fans backing him he's really falling under the radar. Should put up 60-70 points next year if healthy like clockwork.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Good lord Guentzel over Spezza!? I feel like Spezza has always been underrated around these parts but now that he doesn't have the more present Ottawa fans backing him he's really falling under the radar. Should put up 60-70 points next year if healthy like clockwork.

Spezza had 15 goals and 50 points in 68 games last year.
Guentzel had 29 goals and 54 points in 65 games which includes leading the playoffs in goal scoring as a rookie.

Spezza's also 34 and Guentzel's 22.

So...yeah. Guentzel over Spezza.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Spezza had 15 goals and 50 points in 68 games last year.
Guentzel had 29 goals and 54 points in 65 games which includes leading the playoffs in goal scoring as a rookie.

Spezza's also 34 and Guentzel's 22.

So...yeah. Guentzel over Spezza.

You are aware that Guentzel plays with Crosby right? The same guy that made Chris Kunitz an Olympian. Spezza had horrible linemates and still kept up a similar pace and was coming off a 30 goal season the year before. Throw your age out the window, this is about this coming hockey season, and for that I easily take Spezza.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You are aware that Guentzel plays with Crosby right? The same guy that made Chris Kunitz an Olympian. Spezza had horrible linemates and still kept up a similar pace and was coming off a 30 goal season the year before. Throw your age out the window, this is about this coming hockey season, and for that I easily take Spezza.

Yes. Can you list me all the wingers Crosby has played with that led the NHL playoffs in goal scoring?

Hint: It's an extremely short list, and does not include the elite 2008 incarnation of Marian Hossa.

Oh, and about those terrible linemates, Spezza's most common line last year had him spending 22% of his ES time with BOTH Seguin and Benn, so...

http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...17:R:99&Submit=Show+Line+Combinations&sent=go

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012

Just going by offensive production that list is likely right at least on a per game basis e.g. Hanzal might be more important to a team but Sheary will likely out score him.

Damn, just as I finished rebuilding my village.

Oh no! Who burnt it down the first time?

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Meh Radulov is getting overrated on here. Good player but he would have finished 5th in scoring among Jets forwards and paced 6th in ppg.

Winnipeg has a much more potent top 6 than the stars.

His center was ****ing Danault... let's see what he can do with one of Seguin/Spezza and with more options on the PP.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Stars are getting plenty of love (and just got ranked as a bigger Cup contender on this board than many of last year's playoff teams), we don't need to acknowledge anything.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
People are talking about Hanzal and Faksa as if they make a big difference in this discussion. Stars have Seguin, Benn, Radulov and Spezza, then average depth.

I'd take Pittsburgh, Toronto, Winnipeg, Tampa, Washington and Edmonton over the Stars forwards.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I fail to see this great offensive depth Dallas has. Also, Hitch will limit them offensively anyways.
Leafs have them beat depth-wise easily.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
They are def up there now. With the way Hitch coaches though, it might just end up being "good on paper" and only that. Also, it's still a matter of question on if they can keep the puck out of their net. Obviously they've addressed that in goal, but I still don't care much for their defense.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
On paper? Is that like saying someone is a paper tiger? Yay?!?! I think?

Calling a set of forwards that hasn't done anything yet--as in even stepping on the ice together--lethal is like calling a kid with a nerf gun a deadly sniper.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hitch will suck the life out of that forward group.
Most important thing for them is having Hitch's system work with that terrible D they have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad