We need grit

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Reading a good post in another thread has reiterated what I have been thinking about getting smaller.

The more potent our PP is the less runs teams will take at us. If they are going to throw the game away to take liberties let them do it.

Its up to us to make it happen and our PP is the best way to protect our small skilled players
Our current pp might encourage liberties

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We are soft in front of and around our own net.

I think Chevy was counting on Buff returning --so he didn't go all out on retaining Chiarot or Myers. Myers was just to much money, but Chiarot in the $ 3 mil range was affordable, and I wish we could have kept him. Nobody saw this Buff thing coming though - including Chevy.

The Jet's are going to need some size, skill and muscle to add to their defense --as players are just going to sit in front of our net, and our small defenseman can't clear them. Maybe Kulikov is OK here.

With such a great front offensive threat --it's to bad we have this huge problem on our back end right now.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I agree. I would give up a young stud and a pick for a character D or F with experience that I think would get the most out of the team as a whole. Letestu, Bitetto, Bourque are not the guys to have as experience. Better to play our young guys in those spots and acquire a veteran grit guy as a leader.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I think Chevy was counting on Buff returning --so he didn't go all out on retaining Chiarot or Myers. Myers was just to much money, but Chiarot in the $ 3 mil range was affordable, and I wish we could have kept him. Nobody saw this Buff thing coming though - including Chevy.

The Jet's are going to need some size, skill and muscle to add to their defense --as players are just going to sit in front of our net, and our small defenseman can't clear them. Maybe Kulikov is OK here.

With such a great front offensive threat --it's to bad we have this huge problem on our back end right now.

Chiarot wanted to go to Montreal. Keeping him wasn’t an option.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Chiarot wanted to go to Montreal. Keeping him wasn’t an option.

Yes -- I heard that as well -- but maybe Chevy could have overpaid for him to stay, but he still may have went to Montreal ?? He's gone now--so, on with the show.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Yes -- I heard that as well -- but maybe Chevy could have overpaid for him to stay, but he still may have went to Montreal ?? He's gone now--so, on with the show.

With what cap space?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With what cap space?

Agree the Cap is tight -- but if Chiarot would have signed, Chevy would have had to create some Cap space. Also we have plenty of Cap right now, but nobody including Chevy thought Buff would sit.

You can't tell the future as a GM -- but if it were known ahead of time, that Buff might retire etc --Chiarot as an affordable backup would have been great. He is the guy I would have targeted --and Chevy did that, but Ben wanted to play in Montreal.

C'est la Vie :dunno:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trading Lemioux will end up biting the Jets in the ass.

nah he’s an idiot. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Claude Junior and Claude seniors act to wear thin in New York. I give it two seasons max.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Agree 100 per cent.
There are those who prefer the softness to smaller, faster players who play positional and carry the puck out of the zone. Me, I would still like the waifs to be paired with those who can control the corners and the front of the net.

Unless they have the awareness to tie up someone’s stick, they’re useless in front.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Agree 100 per cent.
There are those who prefer the softness to smaller, faster players who play positional and carry the puck out of the zone. Me, I would still like the waifs to be paired with those who can control the corners and the front of the net.

I don't think it is a coincidence that Chevy picked up a couple of D men who should be able to handle themselves better physically, especially as we come up against more central and western conference teams. Everyone in hockey can see how soft we are in and around our goal. Most of these guys are replacement level, but I think we will see more of the 200+ lbers against these teams.

Reactions: DannyGallivan

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Unless they have the awareness to tie up someone’s stick, they’re useless in front.
Positional awareness should not have to be stated, it's an obvious requirement. But having the size and strength to inflict one's will upon the opponent can't be taught.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Positional awareness should not have to be stated, it's an obvious requirement. But having the size and strength to inflict one's will upon the opponent can't be taught.

Neither can the boneheadedness that usually comes with it. You have to realize that those type of guys usually don’t have the necessary smarts to play at a high level. Usually doing so to compensate for other areas. The ones that do both are usually the high value top pairing types and don’t have to use their “grit” to be good.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Neither can the boneheadedness that usually comes with it. You have to realize that those type of guys usually don’t have the necessary smarts to play at a high level. Usually doing so to compensate for other areas. The ones that do both are usually the high value top pairing types and don’t have to use their “grit” to be good.

That's like saying giving up puck possession always goes hand in hand with the little d-men who get pushed around. It's a stereotype based in fact but not applicable to all... even the third pairing guys.

Fact is, right now we're among the worst defensive teams in the NHL (well, we're in 21st spot for goals against, but I think our game against the Oilers may have padded that stat on the positive side for us).

Just saying that a little toughness is a good thing. Last I checked, the NHL was still a body-contact league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad