We need grit

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I do think 'grit' is over-rated a bit. Some of the best Red Wings teams didn't have a lot of grit, but they definitely had speed and talent.

That said, aside from Buff obviously, grit is the one thing missing from the D with Trouba being gone.

And the gritty Chiarot. He wouldn't take crap from anyone. Not even the captain of his own team. :sarcasm:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
When I occasionally listen to alternate feeds to get a bit of a rest from Sawyer's trite, and frankly often incomprehensible clichés and gudpro fawning, a decent percentage of the commentary is about how effing huge and fast the Jets are, and the physical toll their size, speed and checking takes on the teams they play against.

Isn't always borne out by the eye test or score, of course, but that seems to be their reputation. Not sure more grit is warranted and hope to hell we don't trade for it, because we all know that PoMo will play it.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
When I occasionally listen to alternate feeds to get a bit of a rest from Sawyer's trite, and frankly often incomprehensible clichés and gudpro fawning, a decent percentage of the commentary is about how offing huge and fast the Jets are, and the physical toll their size, speed and checking takes on the teams they play against.

Isn't always borne out by the eye test or score, of course, but that seems to be their reputation. Not sure more grit is warranted and hope to hell we don't trade for it, because we all know that PoMo will play it.

Guys like Schief, Wheeler, and Lowry are a load to handle along the boards. I imagine that gets tiresome as the game wears on.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
When I occasionally listen to alternate feeds to get a bit of a rest from Sawyer's trite, and frankly often incomprehensible clichés and gudpro fawning, a decent percentage of the commentary is about how offing huge and fast the Jets are, and the physical toll their size, speed and checking takes on the teams they play against.

I think some of the commentary is still thinking about previous years' rosters. Jets are smaller this year so will leave less of a physical toll. Not saying that's good or bad, just that talking media heads often work off superficial (or worse) information so their characterizations of the Jets should be viewed askance.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We have plenty of grit. We showed it last night.

I do want to see more response from guys like Kulikov and Poolman though

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler is a big man. He took down a big man in Staal tonight. Letestu got pasted, Bourque delivered a better hit same shift. Bitetto threw out some big hits tonight. Laine had 8, and this is against a tough Minnesota team. St. Louis is similarly built, but with more talent spread out. And Larry Robinson is a better coach than Scott Stevens. The rest of the teams in the Central are not that tough. Nashville. Is Watson tougher than Lowry? Colorado's toughest player is probably Ian Cole. Or Kadri. Dallas has Benn. Roman Polak. Chicago is not tough. So to win in the Central, you probably want to be quick. Our slow defense was a big reason for the 1st round exit. Problem solved. I feel like the Jets can be a tough team, by being tough to play against. Can match the skill of most teams. Can match the physicality as well, though Winnipeg has not yet played the more rough and tumble Pacific teams yet.

I like gritty hockey. I think you have to have some to go far in the playoffs. But I also recognize that hockey is increasingly about speed, and transition, and special teams success. Jets don't look overwhelmed by tough teams. They have taken some cheap shots, but also drawn bad penalties from being hard to play against. Once we arrive at 4 lines of relentless pressure, with everyone playing a role, I think the Jets will be fine. No passengers, and able to defend themselves with quickness as their primary feature.

I agree need grit

Its just people are worried we don't have or we lack it.

I do not believe we lack it.
Case in point the minny game. Jets could have given up against minny, team stood up.
I'd rather have the team demoralize opponents with back breaking goals. Than send someone out to intimidate them back.

There will be time that a fight will be needed.
I believe when that comes one of our Jets will wipe the floor with whoever.

Bad teams will try to out grit you :laugh: but speed kills today. And with the Jets skills that is a killer combo.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
tenor.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This is just a i miss Buff thread , which i definitely do , but there is no replacement for Buff . We would end up getting a guy who can't play and he would just make us worse .

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We have plenty of grit. We showed it last night.

I do want to see more response from guys like Kulikov and Poolman though
Kulikov "kneeds" to show some inner-SammyWilson when an opponent is taking liberties. Take the lowbrow approach.

Or not.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I thought we showed some grit in the Wild win, in that when the game became chippy we raised our level. No one backed down to the Wild when they were taking runs at us.

Laine has grit, he gets more engaged when someone tries to intimidate him, he goes at them, I like that.

Ehlers has grit, he was flying after the cheapshot on him, didn’t back down or shy away.

Wheeler, Scheif, Lowry, all play with grit.

We lack it on the backend, where a massive hole off grit was created by Buff’s absence.

The way we combat a lack of big tough grit, is we keep our cool and beat teams 4 on 4 with our speed or on the power play with our skill.

As long as our players don’t back down or shy away when games get chippy, which we didn’t do in the Wild game, we will be fine in games that require grit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I thought we should true grit in the Wild win, in that when the game became chippy we raised our level.

Laine has grit, he gets more engaged when someone tries to intimidate him, he goes at them, I like that.

Ehlers has grit, he was flying after the cheapshot on him, didn’t back down.

Wheeler, Scheif, Lowry, all play with grit.

We lack it on the backend, where a massive hole off grit was created by Buff’s absence.

I agree with this --if Buff was to return, we'd be just fine for the lack of Grit on our back end right now. I can't see Buff retiring at the young age of 32 and leaving $ 32 mil or so on the table ? There is more to this Buff story than we're being told.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Kulikov "kneeds" to show some inner-SammyWilson when an opponent is taking liberties. Take the lowbrow approach.

Or not.
I don't advocate dirty stuff. I love the fact that for the most part our team takes the high road.

But that doesn't mean you can't hit back - target their stars, or punch some faces :)

Kulikov is known for the big hit, I'd like to see it occasionally to keep other teams honest.

Reactions: GNP

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Reading a good post in another thread has reiterated what I have been thinking about getting smaller.

The more potent our PP is the less runs teams will take at us. If they are going to throw the game away to take liberties let them do it.

Its up to us to make it happen and our PP is the best way to protect our small skilled players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad