OT: We need defense!

What's the most important attribute you want in a defenseman?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
It is probably our weakest link. However everyone knows this so we will be gathering tons of picks based on defense so my question is this:
What's the most important attribute you want in a defenseman?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well the way this team is giving up 5-6 goals a game, I'm inclined to go with a stay-at-home guy. Seems like we've had/have guys who can skate and or have other tools, but lack the defensive side of things.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Hockey sense/reading the play, combined with an understated selflessness/birds eye 5v5 priorities, is what I look for in being confident in a defensemen long term.

I think passion and dedication, combined with selflessness is the best way to develop hockey sense. So physical attributes or off the charts specialization are low priorities for me when looking at d-men. Obviously there is a baseline skating requirement in order to be able to properly gap up and get into position.

I am a huge fan of Seider, Hronek and Cholowski, so I believe our defense will be on the upswing for quite some time. Adding one older player with some vigor and upside would stabilize that group quicker than some might think, imo.

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
i dont care about shot , or speed , or physicality .
i care about quickness of thought , plus soft hands that can make good passes and handle the puck safely . and coordinated skating so can defend in own end . the guys that keep their own end clean , as without them your ends a nightmare . in this day of fast skaters if your dmen cant think fast and process the puck with soft hands up and out of zone forget it . i just suffered thru the holland era of dumb dmen smith-quincey-kindl-sproul-etc and its what brought me to this outlook . i heard so much about needing good skating dmen fron holland and im like it dont mattter how fast he is if dumb and hard handed , and mean while a slow guy thats smart with good hands getting the puck up ice many more times by just making excellent passes .

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Hockey IQ.

Lids was not the biggest, fastest or toughest but he was smart. Give me guys that can play D that are smart and poised. Guys who are confident and commit to a play. You don't need to have the best passing ability if you make smart passes.
Don't need to be the biggest guy if you make smart hits ( Datsyuk hits for reference)

We need smart Dmen.
More guys like Seider, please.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
and the foundation of my team core would be dmen of this type plus forwards that can carry the puck up and in then make good passes = dmen keeping my own zone clean while sending out my puck carrying forwards that get the puck in opponant zone . those are the two types i always draft early . we were spoiled by watching feds and dats haul the mail then feed our gunners delicious sauce for 20 years . if the big 2 are gone next june my eyes on a forward that can haul the mail !

and the motto on my lockerroom wall , compliments of the proffesor :
I GOT PUCK , YOU CANT SCORE !

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I think we'll need a good mix of all of these to have an effective defense, but the one thing I want to see in most if not all our defensemen is a high hockey IQ. We need defensemen who play with poise and don't panic all the time taking themselves and their teammates out of position constantly.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
and the foundation of my team core would be dmen of this type plus forwards that can carry the puck up and in then make good passes = dmen keeping my own zone clean while sending out my puck carriering forwards that get the puck in opponant zone . those are the two types i always draft early . we were spoiled by watching feds and dats haul the mail then feed our gunners delicious sauce for 20 years . if the big 2 are gone next june my eyes on a forward that can haul the mail !

Yep, and then the next step is holding the offensive zone, which again requires play recognition and selflessness more than it does a specific skill or attribute. Cholowski and Seiders hands, play recognition and ability to hold/walk the line could be vice like.

Greasy wingers really help getting the pinch on the half wall game going, and we have a couple gems in Bertuzzi and Fabbri, and I have high hopes that Svechnikov will be similarly adept at the wall pin, puck stop, cycle and cover game.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The best defensemen are the ones who can quickly retrieve and move pucks to facilitate zone exits. Structure breaks down (or doesn't take shape) when you get hemed inside your own zone. These defensemen come in all shapes and sizes but are typically defined by above average IQ and above average mobility. I have zero time in 2019 for defensemen who can't skate. If you can't skate, you can't play defense in today's game. Sorry.

I don't care how good you are at breaking up the cycle or clearing the crease. It does absolutely no good if it does not consistently result in the puck being moved out of the defensive zone.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Hockey sense/reading the play, combined with an understated selflessness/birds eye 5v5 priorities, is what I look for in being confident in a defensemen long term.

I think passion and dedication, combined with selflessness is the best way to develop hockey sense. So physical attributes or off the charts specialization are low priorities for me when looking at d-men. Obviously there is a baseline skating requirement in order to be able to properly gap up and get into position.

I am a huge fan of Seider, Hronek and Cholowski, so I believe our defense will be on the upswing for quite some time. Adding one older player with some vigor and upside would stabilize that group quicker than some might think, imo.
So basically a generational defenseman. Yzerman has both hands full

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Bogosian wants out of Buffalo. 29 on an expiring deal. Obviously didn't live up to the hype of his deal but would still be an upgrade on our core. I wonder what the price would be?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like in this order
1.Physicality
2. Hockey iq
3.Speed
4. First pass
I

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We need all of the above. We need an offensive d man, we need a stay at home shut down guy, a two way guy, a smart guy, a monster hitter, etc. We literally have next to nothing right now.
Hronek looks ok right now, but he is young right now and defensemen in today's game take longer than ever to develop.
Nemeth is ok defensively, but in the end, he's a generic #4 or #5 guy.
We were beyond freaking lucky that we drafted Nick Lidstrom. He started off great and got even greater. Those guys are practically non-existent today except for maybe Dahlin.
The only one that will still be here five years from now are Hronek and maybe Cholo and DDK. Green, Daley, Biega have no future here.
I would love to get some new scouting involved as far as defensemen go. Our track record of late is garbage: Smith, Kindl, XO, Sproul, Marchenko, Lashoff, Hicketts, not a whole lot of success there.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hockey IQ, because that above all else gives them the best chance at being an NHL player.

After that, probably first pass. Though I do think the Wings could use some D-men that will knock the crap out of guys in front of the net.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
There is no one brand of defense.
You need a variety of abilities on a 6-7 man defense,
You've got your future offense, hopefully, in Cholo/Hronek and perhaps Seider.
I think McIsaac and Seider are going to provide tough-to-play against kind of minutes.
But we're still just guessing a lot.
I think we have Dekeyser around to babysit on LD.
I wouldn't mind a RH version of Dekeyser to help take the pressure off Seider and Hronek.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If you can only pick one, it is hockey IQ. IQ can make up for other weaker attributes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->