Proposal: We need a Net presence!

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
After 4 games there is the same need we had last year and it's a Net presence. Nobody is ever screening the goalie. That's one of the reason why our pp has been horrible. Poile has to look around the league for that. There are a few guys out there that would fit that role. 1 guy were playing Saturday in Lee would be a good fit.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Pavelski, Lee and Simmonds are all UFA's after this season, and all of them are among the best net front guys in the league currently.

However, I doubt Pavelski is on the market as Sharks are trying to win.

I would love Lee but Isles just named him captain and it's starting to look like he wasn't carried by Tavares as much as people thought so they'll likely keep him

If the Flyers are out of the playoff race at the trade deadline, I could see them move Simmonds, but even then, he would likely be just a rental to us.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Montreal's already starving for offense and he's their best goalscorer signed to a sweetheart deal for the next 3 years. He's also only 26 years old so he should still be at or near his prime whenever Montreal comes out of their rebuild. Doubt they'd give all that up barring an overpayment.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
It's 4 games in. Calm the f*** down.

Would love to have Simmonds on the team though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think it's a coaching issue other than a personnel one. We have guys like Arvy, Watson, Hartman, Sissons but nobody is ordering them to go in front of the net. Do we want pay a premium for someone before we try out our own guys?

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It's 4 games in. Calm the **** down.

Would love to have Simmonds on the team though.
You do realize that we had the same problem last season. It's just not 4 games. Its been a problem way longer. I've been saying we need a big body in front of the net for awhile. We had hartnell last year but he didn't really get enough ice time to make an impact as a Net presence

Last edited:
Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I think it's a coaching issue other than a personnel one. We have guys like Arvy, Watson, Hartman, Sissons but nobody is ordering them to go in front of the net. Do we want pay a premium for someone before we try out our own guys?
I think if they we true net presence guys you wouldn't need to order them down there, it would be their instinct to be there. And yes now I would pay a premium for a Net presence player because we don't have one. I seen sissons, Watson and arvi try and yes it's some kind of net presence it's not that great. Arvi doing the jump screen isn't really the net presence I'm talking about

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Brendan Gallagher?
I think he would rather retire at his upcoming age of 27 than play with PK. Although I have no idea if leaving the Montreal fishbowl would change that.

All that being said, UFAs are always gonna cost a ton of money so get ready for that one. At free agency time, Gallagher will be 27 so he'll be quite pricey. Lee turns 29 on July 3 so he won't exactly be cheap either. Likely looking for one last long-term, large money deal. Simmonds is probably my top choice of those mentioned but he'll likely be in the same boat as Lee, as he will be 31. Reminds me of the overpriced and over-termed James Neal contract with Calgary. I look for him to get something like that. Lastly, Pavelski will be 35 in July so he's theoretically going to be affordable but I don't see him leaving the Bay.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think he would rather retire at his upcoming age of 27 than play with PK. Although I have no idea if leaving the Montreal fishbowl would change that.

All that being said, UFAs are always gonna cost a ton of money so get ready for that one. At free agency time, Gallagher will be 27 so he'll be quite pricey. Lee turns 29 on July 3 so he won't exactly be cheap either. Likely looking for one last long-term, large money deal. Simmonds is probably my top choice of those mentioned but he'll likely be in the same boat as Lee, as he will be 31. Reminds me of the overpriced and over-termed James Neal contract with Calgary. I look for him to get something like that. Lastly, Pavelski will be 35 in July so he's theoretically going to be affordable but I don't see him leaving the Bay.

And this is the reason why I would first try to find the option inside the house. Maybe one of our prospects or someone in the AHL is coming up?

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Gallagher has 3 years left on his contract at 3.75 a year. And him and ok got along when they played each other. It's a physical competitive game I'm sure things get heated being on opposite teams. Hell me and best friend would get in bad arguments when playing pick up basketball games. Didn't mean we wasn't friends. Gallagher would be pricey but I'd be willing to pay that price for a Net presence player we need. Lee will be looking for a good contract I'd be willing to dump fiala+ for Lee. Simmonds will probably be the cheapest to get but he's also the less talented of the 3. Philly, New York, and Montreal will likely be out of contention at the deadline or before it. Those are three I'd have on my list.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
And this is the reason why I would first try to find the option inside the house. Maybe one of our prospects or someone in the AHL is coming up?
He'd be up right now if we had a player like that in the AHL. Our cup window is right now. We need to get that player if we are to make another cup run. A physical net presence is a big need.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He'd be up right now if we had a player like that in the AHL. Our cup window is right now. We need to get that player if we are to make another cup run. A physical net presence is a big need.

I'm not disagreeing with you. It just seems that our play in the offensive zone is too reliant on our D and if that were to change, guys like Watson, Sissons, Smith would provide more net presence. I just think that at this moment, it's a structural issue.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'm not disagreeing with you. It just seems that our play in the offensive zone is too reliant on our D and if that were to change, guys like Watson, Sissons, Smith would provide more net presence. I just think that at this moment, it's a structural issue.
Maybe I'm just sick of the blast from the point by our defenseman without noone there. I been watching Lee and Gallagher highlights and that's where they post up. Especially Lee and he's deadly with the deflections. And a big body. If I'm Poile I'm trying to entice Lou with fiala a younger player for his rebuild and something else. Hate to lose fiala but he would be replaced by a big need.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Maybe I'm just sick of the blast from the point by our defenseman without noone there. I been watching Lee and Gallagher highlights and that's where they post up. Especially Lee and he's deadly with the deflections. And a big body. If I'm Poile I'm trying to entice Lou with fiala a younger player for his rebuild and something else. Hate to lose fiala but he would be replaced by a big need.

Looking beyond the fact that at this point in the season there are historically very few moves ... as pointed out, the problem you see is most likely structural rather than personnel based. Even Hartnell wasn't much of a net front presence last season ... Arvy does it, but usually drivebys with enough delay in front of the netminder to be effective. If it is in fact structural and the result of coaching guidance then no player move changes it.

But sure ... Lou will give us the player you want, with a sweetheart deal, during the first ten games of a season.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Looking beyond the fact that at this point in the season there are historically very few moves ... as pointed out, the problem you see is most likely structural rather than personnel based. Even Hartnell wasn't much of a net front presence last season ... Arvy does it, but usually drivebys with enough delay in front of the netminder to be effective. If it is in fact structural and the result of coaching guidance then no player move changes it.

But sure ... Lou will give us the player you want, with a sweetheart deal, during the first ten games of a season.
He's a ufa next year and might be moved and I said that I know he'll be pricey to get but I would be willing to pay the price.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
You keep ignoring the multiple observations that this may very well be structural / coaching.
It may be and never said it wasn't. But it may be we don't have the player to fit that mold as well. If it was structural and coaching you wouldn't see players like arvi trying to give some kind of net presence right?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It may be and never said it wasn't. But it may be we don't have the player to fit that mold as well. If it was structural and coaching you wouldn't see players like arvi trying to give some kind of net presence right?

Please take a point. We need to spend millions ... or Arvy in certain situations where it fits structure is providing net presence which is structural and coaching.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You keep ignoring the multiple observations that this may very well be structural / coaching.
In agreement with those observations as well. Not sure if we are actively trying to avoid deflecting/knocking down our own point shots, or trying to keep the front guys unengaged to try to slam home rebounds, but this feels by design rather than a talent issue. Bonino or Sissons would have no issues planting themselves in front of the net, among others.

Plant me in the camp of not wanting to trade significant assets for something we can do with our current personnel. Now if it's a long-term upgrade at the same time, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->