Post-Game Talk: We let Skinner down

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The injury issue just hides how horrible our depth is. Other than Hyman missing last night, the only difference maker we’ve been missing this year has been Kane. Our goalies haven’t been injured, nor our D, mainly just a bunch of underproducing forwards. Capitals have beat us twice now while missing a host of better players than we had out. Our regular bottom six guys can’t score, and the farm guys are even worse. Simply have a lack of talent thruout the lineup and generally in the organization.

McLeod and Foegele are far from offensive weapons, but they are still much more generally competent than what we have replacing them. McLeod looks like Mario Lemieux compared to Malone and Shore at centre. The odd look of competence from Kostin and Holloway are usually quickly washed out by their brutal line mates.

However like most things on the team even the D grade group we have replacing them are grossly underperforming. Ryan has been downright terrible and has more to give. Same with Shore.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
McLeod and Foegele are far from offensive weapons, but they are still much more generally competent than what we have replacing them. McLeod looks like Mario Lemieux compared to Malone and Shore at centre. The odd look of competence from Kostin and Holloway are usually quickly washed out by their brutal line mates.

However like most things on the team even the D grade group we have replacing them are grossly underperforming. Ryan has been downright terrible and has more to give. Same with Shore.
Malone being anywhere near an NHL team is a joke , Ryan who peaked as a top 9 forward a long time ago is not even a top 900 player in the world right now but here he is on the Oilers. Shore who peaked at a 13th forward in his career is still on this team and should be well removed from the league. It is very frustrating seeing all these new players in the league on the bottom six on teams producing a .5 PPG or close to it while the Oilers biggest depth is long past retreads

Reactions: K1984

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
If he's injured, how can he keep up with McD on the rush? How can he skate half way across the ice just to nail Gudas?

When he's with McD, he has more jump. Its a blessing and curse at the same time since both players will have their bad habits creep up. When he's not, he's just going through the motions it seems and doesn't care unless we're on the PP.

Guy is so mentally out of it, no idea whats with him this year.
1670360636589.png

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They need to get healthy, it seemed like they were heading in the right direction prior to the second wave of injuries.

They're barely icing two NHL calibre lines right now, that's the fact of the matter. Ryan, Shore, Malone, Hamblin, none of these guys are NHLers right now. Holloway probably shouldn't be there either.

Literally three productive forwards on the roster right now. That's impossible to win with. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto have to get themselves going. I'm not even exaggerating that currently, this is the worst forward lineup that McDavid and Draisaitl have played with. Janmark is their fourth best forward, they signed him to play on the fourth line.

It sounds like McLeod is out for a while, but get it back to this:

Holloway - McDavid - Yamo
Hyman - Drai - Janmark
Foegele - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Kostin - Ryan - Whoever

And the team will start to look better. And that's not even a huge improvement, but they're not going to win much with the amount of AHL players they are currently dressing, no chance. You cannot win when you have two full lines that are zero threat to score a goal. I know people will say there are other issues, but that's the number one issue right now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They need to get healthy, it seemed like they were heading in the right direction prior to the second wave of injuries.

They're barely icing two NHL calibre lines right now, that's the fact of the matter. Ryan, Shore, Malone, Hamblin, none of these guys are NHLers right now. Holloway probably shouldn't be there either.

Literally three productive forwards on the roster right now. That's impossible to win with. Puljujarvi and Yamamoto have to get themselves going. I'm not even exaggerating that currently, this is the worst forward lineup that McDavid and Draisaitl have played with. Janmark is their fourth best forward, they signed him to play on the fourth line.

It sounds like McLeod is out for a while, but get it back to this:

Holloway - McDavid - Yamo
Hyman - Drai - Janmark
Foegele - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Kostin - Ryan - Whoever

And the team will start to look better. And that's not even a huge improvement, but they're not going to win much with the amount of AHL players they are currently dressing, no chance. You cannot win when you have two full lines that are zero threat to score a goal. I know people will say there are other issues, but that's the number one issue right now.

Despite the fact that we basically only have two NHL wingers at the moment (and not good ones) I would play McDavid, Drai and RNH down the gut like you have them there as well. At least we have an NHL player on three lines in this formation rather than the alternative we saw last night.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Despite the fact that we basically only have two NHL wingers at the moment I would play McDavid, Drai and RNH down the gut like you have them there as well. At least we have an NHL player on three lines in this formation rather than the alternative we saw last night.
I don't know what's up with Draisaitl but I don't really buy that he is playing wing due to injury. I agree with you, even without any guys coming back I think you have to pair up McDavid with Yamo, Drai with Hyman/Holloway (if Hyman is still out), and Nuge with Puljujarvi.

Ironically, McDavid and Drai together works best when they have a second and third line that can play a little. When it's the only line that the other team has to game plan for, and they are forced to take every big faceoff in either zone, they just get worn down.

Reactions: frag2 and K1984

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know what's up with Draisaitl but I don't really buy that he is playing wing due to injury. I agree with you, even without any guys coming back I think you have to pair up McDavid with Yamo, Drai with Hyman/Holloway (if Hyman is still out), and Nuge with Puljujarvi.

Ironically, McDavid and Drai together works best when they have a second and third line that can play a little. When it's the only line that the other team has to game plan for, and they are forced to take every big faceoff in either zone, they just get worn down.
I make regular mention of it but Drai is involving in on ice behaviors that would not be defended or tolerated by an NHL caliber coach. Knocking the stick out of Troubas hands after scoring the winner? People said thats a boss move. Its a punk ass move and the type of poor sportsmanship that is being allowed to spread under Woody. its a bad look. Its not in isolation. Drai is becoming the ugly superstar under present coach. Most coaches would have a word with him by now.

Drai is on a team out of the playoffs and he's mocking opponents every other game. its pretty strange behavior and while Drai himself is getting scored against regularly and doing little in own zone to prevent it. Conduct and play unbecoming.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sure seems like every team hits their stride against us and every goalie plays amazingly these days.
The only reason we were ever in the game was our goaltending was amazing and the Caps are getting awful goaltending. basically any puck we were sifting at net was dangerous last night. But the Oilers in no way took advantage of that. We got 10X better goaltending in the game yesterday.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Anyone know when that "easier" schedule will make it's arrival?;)

Might be a bit easier when they have some of their top 9 forwards back and Woody decides to coach again.

The lack of D of course doesn’t help

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The team just unwilling to shoot/crash the net when the situation calls for it is perplexing. So many errant passes even on oddman rushes. It's maddening.
This was my main takeaway from the Washington game as well. (That is, aside from the general wretchedness of the whole team's effort.)

The Oilers would have won the damn game---not deserving to, mind---if they would just SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK. Four or five times, as usual, they had good-looking odd-man rushes with a talented Oiler (Drai, Bouchard, Holloway) carrying the puck into prime scoring position, and.... they never got a shot. And those four or five were just the prime, Grade-A chances they blew with no shot on net. There were probably another five or six where they clearly could have challenged the goalie (a back-up, lest we forget) but REFUSED TO SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK.

The Oilers' players who don't regularly score (every single player except McD, Drai, Nuge, Hyman) are evidently not aware that shooting the puck is a prerequisite for scoring.

Reactions: NedPlimpton

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
This is a tired narrative. They’ve been together for 4+ years.

Dude is either injured or mentally checked out. He needs a wake up call.
There's lots of tired narratives on here, especially over at the mains.

I thought the one I posted was quite...perky.

Besides, who's to say that she doesn't require him to engage in um... energy-sapping activities before home games? :naughty:

That's as good an explanation as any for his lack of energy, especially on defence.

Just trying to have some fun in an otherwise bleak situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad