GDT: WE HOCKEY AGAIN. VGK v. PHILAGRITTY GRITTYS (7PM PT)

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Philly was sharp and ready. VGK still had rust and maybe some pressure to win. Can't wait for the next game.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Philly was sharp and ready. VGK still had rust and maybe some pressure to win. Can't wait for the next game.

I don't know if it was rust. They were ready to go in the preseason.

I personally think they need to put an end to parading them through the plaza like monkeys pre-game. That has to take the edge off their focus.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

I personally think they need to put an end to parading them through the plaza like monkeys pre-game. That has to take the edge off their focus.

So that would fall to the category of too much pressure to win or... (?) I think there was also some rust.

I think timing was off for every single line apart from the 4th. Not even 1st line seemed to create clean passes.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They had average speed. Last year when they were effective the D were jumping up in the neutral zone forcing quick turnovers left and right. They had poor gap control and weren't skating nearly hard enough. Most of it can be chalked up to Theodore's rust but that quick strike read and react neutral zone play they're known for, well that's what Schmidt brings every game.

Philly had too much time and space and they were all over us in their own end. Plus that Provarov kid is going to be elite.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
So that would fall to the category of too much pressure to win or... (?) I think there was also some rust.

I think timing was off for every single line apart from the 4th. Not even 1st line seemed to create clean passes.

The first line was better than they looked. They were +/- of zero, except Marchy with +/- of +1. This is because they did their thing when Philly had the puck, which was most of the 2nd period. They at least disrupted the Flyers' offense. they also had some very good scoring chances, which Elliott stoned all but one.

Stastny's line was -1, Lindberg's line was -2. Lindberg should have been waived in favor of Carr, imo, and Carpy should never work Power Play again, ever. Fourth line looked pretty good overall and was +/- of zero except Carrier with -1.

My dumb play of the night goes to one of my favorites, Wild Bill, for the boarding call. If an opponent retreats after passing off the pick and you change directions to make the "continuation" hit on him, they're going to call it every time. OTOH, that penalty led to a beauty of a SHG by Belly :laugh:

Edit: It looks by Karlsson's play in preseason and last night that he never wants to be given that insulting Lady Byng award again. He's been putting in a lot of hits for a scoring forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmare

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

The speed and execution of preseason is very different.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I won't argue that, but at the same time, the team looked faster and crisper in preseason than last night.
I can not comment on preseason as I didn't see a single second of it, but the Knights were nowhere near as crisp and tenacious as we have seen them. I think there was a shift maybe two in which I felt the forecheck was ok. We gave them far too much time and space. Need to hound them alot more in the next game me thinks.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I can not comment on preseason as I didn't see a single second of it, but the Knights were nowhere near as crisp and tenacious as we have seen them. I think there was a shift maybe two in which I felt the forecheck was ok. We gave them far too much time and space. Need to hound them alot more in the next game me thinks.

I thought they settled in pretty well on the forecheck and defensively in the 3rd. By then, it was too little, too late. It also may have helped Vegas look better in that period that the Flyers were trying to kill the clock at that point.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I thought they settled in pretty well on the forecheck and defensively in the 3rd. By then, it was too little, too late. It also may have helped Vegas look better in that period that the Flyers were trying to kill the clock at that point.

Yeah, at least they can feel like they were even on the whole in the first (good first 10, bad last half) and they can feel like they won the third so they can have some confidence and more to build on heading into tomorrow's game.

I think an early road trip really helps bond (or re-bond) a team so the next, what, week and a half? On the road should do this team good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad