GDT: We got this, the Caps are Dun and don!

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Well, at least not this year.

Seriously though I honestly think the NHL did itself a huge disservice by not going. I would have loved to see the passing of the torch when it comes to international play from the Crosby generation for Canada to the guys like McDavid, Oshie and Kessel to Matthews and Eichel, Koivu and Rinne to the Aho Barkov and Laine.

Actually thinking about it Canada's transitional year is probably going to be 22. But man talk about opportunity missed for the US and Finland to see the kids take over and really show their stuff.

I 100% agree that the NHL has done a huge disservice to themselves. Here you have an opportunity to showcase your talent/product on a HUGE national stage, but you decide it's best not to showcase it... It was amazing to see and hear how many people watched that game when TJ Oshie was the shootout hero for the US, it brought a lot of the country together, it was so awesome. I can only imagine how many people that one exciting game converted into long time fans of hockey. Like the Olympics for the NHL is an absolute huge marketing opportunity, how do you not take that one opportunity that comes only every 4 years.....?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh I get the why. Hockey is the only major sport asked to stop its season for 2-2.5 weeks for an Olympic break. The NBA doesn't have to do it, baseball never sent MLB players to my knowledge, it's during the break for the top soccer leagues. I just disagree that stopping for the Olympics is a negative in this instance, the positives outweigh what is lost unless they flat out want to bring it back to being a full-on amateur tournament again (which I'd be OK with as well if the CHL were included).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Was at the game tonight. Darling was really focused on his 5 hole in warm-ups. Hopefully he continues to really take care of his hole. That is something I can really get behind.

So, let me get this straight, you want to get behind his hole

so you can make sure that he's been taking care of his hole

that sounds perfectly reasonable to me

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Oh I get the why. Hockey is the only major sport asked to stop its season for 2-2.5 weeks for an Olympic break. The NBA doesn't have to do it, baseball never sent MLB players to my knowledge, it's during the break for the top soccer leagues. I just disagree that stopping for the Olympics is a negative in this instance, the positives outweigh what is lost unless they flat out want to bring it back to being a full-on amateur tournament again (which I'd be OK with as well if the CHL were included).

It would be a positive if the NHL was allowed to actually market based on the olympics in any way. They have gotten next to no benefit from past olympics, even the ones that were actually in North American time zones, because the NHL was never allowed to run ads showing the 2010 Crosby goal or whatever incessantly. Exposure is utterly worthless if you can't get paid at the end of the day.

I'm completely with the NHL here. The IOC is a bunch of greedy and corrupt shitstains, and the NHL's requests were not remotely unreasonable. The IOC refused to play ball, and the NHL called their bluff. It's a loss for fans, sure, but the IOC is 3000% at fault.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
GreatSpitefulGalapagosdove-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
my mom and sister (hahaha!) both went to the University of South Carolina. Those jokes got so ****ing old. But im just a wet blanket.... (no pun intended)

And honestly 10 years without playoffs would make anyone find their sense of humor.

True story....Columbia and USC used to be part of my territory, many, many years ago. The first time I was on campus at Univ. of SC, I was heading to park my car when a beautiful young blonde lady turned in front of me. She was driving a convertible with the top down, hair blowing in the wind. On her rear bumper was that immortal bumper sticker, "Love them Cocks".

That was the day I knew that I had chosen the right profession.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My hot takes:

Ovi absolutely owns Slavin. It's odd to see him get bitchmade like that.
I know scoring that goal is the best response to the hit on DR, but can at least one f***ing guy pretend to be tough?
Is Orlov always as good as he is against the Canes? I never hear anyone talk about the guy.

Anyhow, semantics aside.

Let this moment go down in history.

Was at the game tonight. Darling was really focused on his 5 hole in warm-ups. Hopefully he continues to really take care of his hole. That is something I can really get behind.

Well, we certainly don't want him getting hit in the dick.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Soccer doesn't even do that. Its effectively, at least for the men's game, a U-20 tournament as I believe there is a very low cap on how many major professional players you're allowed to dress. Most countries save their best for the World Cup.

But that's apples and oranges with hockey. The Olympics is the largest international competition for hockey. Yes, there's a World Cup, but its a bastardized version of an international event, with there being generic North America and Europe teams. Not sending NHL (and potentially AHL) talent to the Olympics would be like the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, etc all withholding their players from the World Cup, because they didn't want to lose them for the qualifying rounds (which occur during their regular seasons). Its just short sighted stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->