We gonna call up axel holmstrom and turgeon before the season?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Now Andersson made it up for a bit, but he is much more comparable to Axel Holmstrom.

His skating was troubling when he was drafted and now the whole league is in hyper-drive speed wise. I expect him to be a great European pro for sure when he does go back though because he is a really smart hockey player. He is just not suited for the game over here. Turgeon is okay, I am just not sure he is better than what we already have and we know what we have isn't all that good soooo.... Yeah while I liked both guys and I do think they are running out of time. I thought Turgeon would make it but the odds get longer with him not up by now and Glendening locked into the roster to start next year. Ehn was a big blow to him in my opinion.
God forbid though that we’d see what we have with them first though no?god forbid we found a way to get rid of more expensive guys like helm and glendening to fit in cheaper and younger guys,I don’t know man just find it dumb to not even get a view at some of these kids

Some players just play better in the nhl for some reason and every time I check holmstrom is centering a 4th line and our top 6 is consisted of career aging ahlers which I don’t understand , I get it’s a league in itself and they want to win but isn’t it also where our prospects go to develop? Can’t see much development going on with where they are situated in the lineup

Anyways

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I think Frk and Svechnikov way ahead of those 2
Those 2 never had a look though , frk has had his chance over and over and he’s officially done in my books , svechnikov has to be on the team next year 100% or we lose him on waivers so Holland’s gotta get rid of some dead weight hopefully in the off season(helm,glendening etc...)

Realistically just delarose and ehn

Reactions: Hinterland

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Players of Holmstrom and Turgeon's caliber (if not better) are available on waivers every year (see Jacob de la Rose). Who cares if you lose them, when you can easily pick up some other teams' Holmstrom or Turgeon if you ever need a fringe NHLer.
Well we drafted them so I’d like to see what they can do first for a few games before tossing them away, we’re like 3rd last in the league wtf do we have to lose? We lose games it’s even better for our tank job

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Who are they better than?
Right now ?id just wanna see them play 2-4 games see if they have anything to offer , would it really hurt you to see abdelkader sit 2 games?helm?ehn? Delarose?vanek? This team is loaded with bottom 6 guys

I wouldn’t miss any of those guys , I’d even toss in nielsen but he’s making 5 million for being shit so he won’t sit

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He needed to prove he belonged in the NHL. He did not.

You don’t get given “a handful of games” for fun. If you aren’t arguably or demonstrably better than another option, you’ve got no real basis to complain.
We’re loaded with bottom line guys , I wouldn’t see abdelkader,ehn,delarose etc,.. are that much superior

Heck vanek is what 35? And he’s as good as gone I’d personally rather have him sit rest of the way and see 22-23 year old kids, but Detroit is always loyal to a tee with veterans and we have a bunch of them wasting away

Heck wouldn’t you rather see a sulak or hicketts play some games now than kronwall?ericsson?daley? I know I would in a second

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
That is why I said earlier, that, if I am a draftee not named Hughes or Kakko, I pray the Wings don't pick me.This organization has a tendency to keep prospects in GR for way too long.
Oh that’s why I said if I was David pope I’d have been a free agent and go elsewhere and if I’m chase Pearson I go far away from Detroit

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Unfortunately not everyone can make it to the NHL. Holmstrom hasn’t done anything at the AHL level to warrant an NHL call-up. Turgeon was beaten out by Ehn and De La Rose for the 4th line role.
Hicketts has not progressed after a promising start to his pro career.

We have lots of youngsters and some just won’t crack the roster.
I’m well aware not everyone makes it but there’s a lot of players that become late bloomers and all these guys I mentioned are still 22 , much rather have a second look at those guys than keep losing with these washed up vets

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
He was struggling pretty bad himself... I wouldn't call him up honestly cause he's in playoff mode for the AHL right now. He'll get another shot next offseason but, can I ask you what Joe Hicketts ceiling is compared to both Cholowski/Hronek?

I compared Cholowski to Dan Hamhuis and Filip Hronek to Marek Zidlicky. Joe Hicketts to me doesn't look to be nothing more than a bottom pairing D/7th defender on a team.

I like him but I'm not sure they're are things that make in special.
Hronek and cholowski have a higher upside no doubt but who’s to say hicketts couldn’t be in a 5-6 role?isnt Krug the same size? Last I remember hicketts was surprisingly good when he was here and never got another look

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We’re loaded with bottom line guys , I wouldn’t see abdelkader,ehn,delarose etc,.. are that much superior

Heck vanek is what 35? And he’s as good as gone I’d personally rather have him sit rest of the way and see 22-23 year old kids, but Detroit is always loyal to a tee with veterans and we have a bunch of them wasting away

Heck wouldn’t you rather see a sulak or hicketts play some games now than kronwall?ericsson?daley? I know I would in a second

No I wouldn’t. I saw it early in the year. We lost games 7-2, 6-1, etc. I don’t want to see young guys play for the sake of young guys playing.

The Wings are “loyal” to guys they’ve signed contracts with. They’re not trying to pay Vanek 3M to sit and twiddle his thumbs.

Instead of complaining about old guys “unfairly being treated with loyalty”, put the onus on the younger guy. If you’re not better than an at the end of his career Thomas Vanek then you’re not worthy of a damn shot.

I know y’all like to act like there is some mean conspiracy to hold down young players.... but if you are a dime a dozen bottom liner, you have to do something, anything to show you deserve time. And that’s not simply playing an okay game and not looking like a liability.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No I wouldn’t. I saw it early in the year. We lost games 7-2, 6-1, etc. I don’t want to see young guys play for the sake of young guys playing.

The Wings are “loyal” to guys they’ve signed contracts with. They’re not trying to pay Vanek 3M to sit and twiddle his thumbs.

Instead of complaining about old guys “unfairly being treated with loyalty”, put the onus on the younger guy. If you’re not better than an at the end of his career Thomas Vanek then you’re not worthy of a damn shot.

I know y’all like to act like there is some mean conspiracy to hold down young players.... but if you are a dime a dozen bottom liner, you have to do something, anything to show you deserve time. And that’s not simply playing an okay game and not looking like a liability.
Ya sorry don’t buy into all that nonsense , AA for instance was playing great with limited ice time and producing and despite all that we still held him back and now that he’s getting ice time and look at that producing we’re suppose to believe it’s cause blashill made him work for it? It’s bs

Abdelkader is making 4 million a year playing on a 4th line , your telling me he’s out playing other kids? If it wasn’t for his salary his ass would be shipped out of here , vanek would be gone as well if not for a ntc, these guys have like 20-30 pts so let’s not pretend they some great nhl players who are outclassing kids by far

Now again I’m not here saying holmstrom and turgeon are these great nhl players I just think they deserve a look , holmstrom came here for 3 years and wasted it playing with nobodies on the 4th line and is going back home and frankly I don’t blame him , turgeon I do believe has a future on the nhl as a grinder,checker and penalty killer type guy whether it be on Detroit or elsewhere.

You are aware players make the nhl at 23-26 right ? We’re just writing these kids off at 22 cause they aren’t producing a pt per game in the ahl?last I checked our top 6 is composed of career 30 yr old ahlers. Anyways like I’ve said it wouldn’t hurt to bench abdelkader 2-3 games and call up a kid, abdelkader has been shit all season

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Ya sorry don’t buy into all that nonsense , AA for instance was playing great with limited ice time and producing and despite all that we still held him back and now that he’s getting ice time and look at that producing we’re suppose to believe it’s cause blashill made him work for it? It’s bs

Abdelkader is making 4 million a year playing on a 4th line , your telling me he’s out playing other kids? If it wasn’t for his salary his ass would be shipped out of here , vanek would be gone as well if not for a ntc, these guys have like 20-30 pts so let’s not pretend they some great nhl players who are outclassing kids by far

Now again I’m not here saying holmstrom and turgeon are these great nhl players I just think they deserve a look , holmstrom came here for 3 years and wasted it playing with nobodies on the 4th line and is going back home and frankly I don’t blame him , turgeon I do believe has a future on the nhl as a grinder,checker and penalty killer type guy whether it be on Detroit or elsewhere.

You are aware players make the nhl at 23-26 right ? We’re just writing these kids off at 22 cause they aren’t producing a pt per game in the ahl?last I checked our top 6 is composed of career 30 yr old ahlers. Anyways like I’ve said it wouldn’t hurt to bench abdelkader 2-3 games and call up a kid, abdelkader has been **** all season

No, we're "writing these kids off" because they're 100% replaceable. They don't show NHL caliber tools in their time in the AHL. You don't get time and opportunity by just being a good soldier who happens to be younger than another one.

To go back to AA, he had limited ice time because he would loaf it on the ice. That's not even subjective. He'd not be as engaged as he should be. He wasn't being held back, he was holding himself back.

And on Abby, it's not that he's outperforming kids. They're not outperforming him. That sounds like semantics, but if you want to displace someone, you have to give the impression that you'll be an improvement, not just a different face. And "oh, Abby sucks, anyone would be an improvement" isn't an argument. I'm not saying that they're outclassing the kids by far... but to remove them, the Wings would either a) take it up the rear on value (Abby) or go against a clause they themselves gave him (Vanek). The kids have to not only be a better option than whoever, they've got to be worth doing some roster shenanigans for. And if they'll get 20 points or Abby will get 20 points, I understand sticking with Abby.

And no, they don't deserve a look if they don't force the team to take a look. Look back at Sean Avery when he was starting out with Detroit way back when. He came in, I think it was the 02 preseason, and tore **** up. Made an impression on EVERYONE. He wasn't anywhere near as skilled as anyone on that roster, but he showed a big propensity to turn a game with physicality.

That's why teams pick the guys they do in the late rounds too. They find one thing a guy does really well and that they really like and they hone in on that.

Axel Holmstrom from what I've read hasn't ever done anything of particular note and his skating has always needed to come around. Turgeon is a guy who can run in a bottom six? Cool, so are about 14 of the 20 players we've taken in the last two drafts. So is Jacob De La Rose who we got for free. If you want to be a grinder on an NHL team, you have to be more than just a guy who survives.

To end, Abby, Helm, Nielsen, Vanek, none of those guys are career AHLers. None of them. You might not like them or think they're any good... but they've all proven to be NHL players. Career AHLers are guys like Teemu Pulkkinen and Martin Frk.

Reactions: Henkka

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No, we're "writing these kids off" because they're 100% replaceable. They don't show NHL caliber tools in their time in the AHL. You don't get time and opportunity by just being a good soldier who happens to be younger than another one.

To go back to AA, he had limited ice time because he would loaf it on the ice. That's not even subjective. He'd not be as engaged as he should be. He wasn't being held back, he was holding himself back.

And on Abby, it's not that he's outperforming kids. They're not outperforming him. That sounds like semantics, but if you want to displace someone, you have to give the impression that you'll be an improvement, not just a different face. And "oh, Abby sucks, anyone would be an improvement" isn't an argument. I'm not saying that they're outclassing the kids by far... but to remove them, the Wings would either a) take it up the rear on value (Abby) or go against a clause they themselves gave him (Vanek). The kids have to not only be a better option than whoever, they've got to be worth doing some roster shenanigans for. And if they'll get 20 points or Abby will get 20 points, I understand sticking with Abby.

And no, they don't deserve a look if they don't force the team to take a look. Look back at Sean Avery when he was starting out with Detroit way back when. He came in, I think it was the 02 preseason, and tore **** up. Made an impression on EVERYONE. He wasn't anywhere near as skilled as anyone on that roster, but he showed a big propensity to turn a game with physicality.

That's why teams pick the guys they do in the late rounds too. They find one thing a guy does really well and that they really like and they hone in on that.

Axel Holmstrom from what I've read hasn't ever done anything of particular note and his skating has always needed to come around. Turgeon is a guy who can run in a bottom six? Cool, so are about 14 of the 20 players we've taken in the last two drafts. So is Jacob De La Rose who we got for free. If you want to be a grinder on an NHL team, you have to be more than just a guy who survives.

To end, Abby, Helm, Nielsen, Vanek, none of those guys are career AHLers. None of them. You might not like them or think they're any good... but they've all proven to be NHL players. Career AHLers are guys like Teemu Pulkkinen and Martin Frk.

Come on the real reason abdelkader is still playing is because he’s an impossible peace to get rid of , too high a cap hit with too many years left . Blashill also doesn’t have the balls to sit him, took him forever to finally bench ericsson after all these years

What does going against a clause with vanek have to do with anything? He didn’t want to get traded and we didn’t move him , doesn’t mean we can’t bench him for 2-3 games

Dude holmstrom and turgeon haven’t even had a chance to showcase what they can do . Please don’t talk about ahl nonsense cause if you go check the lineups on a daily basis holmstrom and turgeon are at the bottom in favor of 30yr old career ahlers.

despite that holmstrom has 11 goals , scored yesterday and he’s not even playing tonight for god knows what reason, if he played top 6 it’s not a stretch to think he could have 20-25.

You talk about them being replaceable parts but so are the guys you mentioned in vanek,helm,nielsen etc... they don’t bring much to the tale at this stage , and you mention frk and pulkkinen but at least those guys got chances repeatedly

I’m not delusional to think these kids are gonna be nhl stars but I think it doesn’t hurt us one bit to see them especially with the way this season is going, it’s a sad thing that the only way we get to see these kids are due to injuries. We suck , might as well get a look at some guys

rbartnik

Mar 9, 2019
I’m not delusional to think these kids are gonna be nhl stars but I think it doesn’t hurt us one bit to see them especially with the way this season is going, it’s a sad thing that the only way we get to see these kids are due to injuries. We suck , might as well get a look at some guys

Given that they aren't even good AHL players, it doesn't hurt us to leave them where they are.

Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’m well aware not everyone makes it but there’s a lot of players that become late bloomers and all these guys I mentioned are still 22 , much rather have a second look at those guys than keep losing with these washed up vets
We are losing with a lot of young players. AA/Mantha/Hronek/Ehn/De La Rose/Larkin/Bertuzzi/Zadina/Rasmussen...like it or not the ”washed up vets” are vastly superior players to Holmstrom/Turgeon/Hicketts. You may want a look at them, but actual people working in hockey are looking at them every day and have determined they are not NHL material right now. It doesn’t help anyone to make our NHL roster even more of a dumpster fire and no mediocre youngster is gonna look good on an NHL team that is getting crushed night after night.

This. I thought we were gonna see the end of these silly debates but I guess some people won't be happy until every single drafted prospect gets their cup of coffee in the NHL. It's not enough that we have some not-quite-ready kids like Rasmussen playing full-time, that Zadina gets his shot, that Hronek is playing 25 minutes a game.. nah, the future of the rebuild hinges on giving random 7th round picks like Holmstrom a couple of NHL games to "see what we have" lol. Let me tell you what we may have in Holmstrom; another Nestrasil, at most. Clearly a vital building block.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickH8

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
We are losing with a lot of young players. AA/Mantha/Hronek/Ehn/De La Rose/Larkin/Bertuzzi/Zadina/Rasmussen...like it or not the ”washed up vets” are vastly superior players to Holmstrom/Turgeon/Hicketts. You may want a look at them, but actual people working in hockey are looking at them every day and have determined they are not NHL material right now. It doesn’t help anyone to make our NHL roster even more of a dumpster fire and no mediocre youngster is gonna look good on an NHL team that is getting crushed night after night.

This. I thought we were gonna see the end of these silly debates but I guess some people won't be happy until every single drafted prospect gets their cup of coffee in the NHL. It's not enough that we have some not-quite-ready kids like Rasmussen playing full-time, that Zadina gets his shot, that Hronek is playing 25 minutes a game.. nah, the future of the rebuild hinges on giving random 7th round picks like Holmstrom a couple of NHL games to "see what we have" lol. Let me tell you what we may have in Holmstrom; another Nestrasil, at most. Clearly a vital building block.

How the f*** can we possibly be more of a dumpster fire? We’re losing every game man that’s all that matters(I’m not pissed I want a top 3 pick)

You can be stupid and laugh but hronek for example is better than pretty much everyone in the back we have

I’ll tell you what we have in abdelkader,ehn,delarose,helm,nielsen ... shit , clearly a vital building block ;)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How the **** can we possibly be more of a dumpster fire? We’re losing every game man that’s all that matters(I’m not pissed I want a top 3 pick)

You can be stupid and laugh but hronek for example is better than pretty much everyone in the back we have

I’ll tell you what we have in abdelkader,ehn,delarose,helm,nielsen ... **** , clearly a vital building block ;)

I’ll tell you what we have in Holmstrom, even less. A guy who is 5 years removed from when he was a seventh round pick in the draft. Someone who hasn’t improved his physical tool set since he was drafted. Someone who has played over 130 games in the AHL and still doesn’t have 20 career goals. He can’t even force himself into a top 6 role as a scorer in the AHL.

I don’t know how you can complain when they were outplayed by Zadina, outplayed by Rasmussen, outplayed by Ehn. Young forwards deserving of a chance have been given chances this year. Why would the pressure be put on the Red Wings to go out of their way even more to move a Helm or Vanek or Abdelkader who they already have on the team in order to make room for players who are likely going to produce absolutely nothing in the NHL?

The only reason you want these below average players to get a shot is because you need to see them be piss poor at the NHL level before you write them off. Other people don’t need that viewing and conceptualize that if they are average AHL players, they are going to be well below average NHL players.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Do people ever consider that if a prospect never gets a call up, it's because the team is sure there's nothing to see there?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Do people ever consider that if a prospect never gets a call up, it's because the team is sure there's nothing to see there?

No, it's clearly because they're unfairly holding them back and the world would be sunshine and daisies if Johan Ryno would have just gotten like two games with the Wings.

How the **** can we possibly be more of a dumpster fire? We’re losing every game man that’s all that matters(I’m not pissed I want a top 3 pick)

I’ll tell you what we have in abdelkader,ehn,delarose,helm,nielsen ... **** , clearly a vital building block ;)

You want to see how we could be more of one? Look back to early in the season when our top 4D were out and we had Sulak, Cholo, Witkowski, and Hronek all playing big minutes. We weren't even competitive in games. Two and a half weeks and all the games were pretty much like the Montreal game of a week ago.

And actually.. wait, wait, wait... Now Ehn and De La Rose are on the **** list? Those are the exact type of guys you are stumping to see in wanting Turgeon and Holmstrom. They're the exact same level of player. Take the name and number off the jerseys and the effectiveness of the player would be damn near the same.

You can be more a dumpster fire by giving guys who haven't done anything to earn a cup of coffee at the NHL a cup of coffee at the NHL level and they show you that they're worthless. Like say you give Holmstrom 3 games and he predictably is garbage or at best pulls an Ehn and hovers around a -1 and plays at a mediocre fourth line level. What new knowledge does that provide you? If a guy is to have a jump in his play... you'd see it in the AHL level. Zadina looks better now once he's in the NHL because he started to look better at the AHL level.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Hronek also did great in AHL last season and pretty much dominated the league this year. That is how a prospect looks when he is pushing for an NHL job, and that is why Hronek is now a regular and getting big minutes.

It's funny how the good prospects get called up and the bad ones don't.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Dude holmstrom and turgeon haven’t even had a chance to showcase what they can do . Please don’t talk about ahl nonsense cause if you go check the lineups on a daily basis holmstrom and turgeon are at the bottom in favor of 30yr old career ahlers.

despite that holmstrom has 11 goals , scored yesterday and he’s not even playing tonight for god knows what reason, if he played top 6 it’s not a stretch to think he could have 20-25.

Holmstrom when you watch him play in GR, you do not notice that he is even out there on the ice. The only time you notice is when he scores a goal. He is fortunate that he has 11 goals in GR this season. Skating is his downfall and if he can barely keep up here in the AHL, how is he going to do in the NHL?

As for Turgeon, he had a great season in GR last season and the Wings called up him for a few games to take a look and he looked good out there. Then the blood clot problem happened and he was forced to shut down and not play for the Griffins in their playoffs last season. It took him several months to recover from that and he is getting around, but Turgeon has not produced offensively this season compared to last. His main role is a checking forward, plays on the 1st unit PK unit and lately he has played on the 2nd PP unit (mainly taking offensive zone draws and net front prenence). With Ehn and De La Rose in the Wings organization as well as the Wings last month signed Turner Elson to a 2-yr NHL contract, Turgeon is stuck here in GR.

Hicketts is having a down season here in GR as he is trying to do too much for himself here and he is making constant mistakes to where the end result ends up watching our goalies take the puck out of net. It would not surprise me if the Wings let him go after this season and not resign him. I also would not be surprise if the Wings use one of their "call-ups" to bring Hicketts up to see if the Wings think that he is deserving of resigning him after this season.

I think you need to make a trip to Grand Rapids and watch a few Griffins games in person and you would get an idea as to why some players deserve a look in the NHL and why some players do not.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
No, it's clearly because they're unfairly holding them back and the world would be sunshine and daisies if Johan Ryno would have just gotten like two games with the Wings.

You want to see how we could be more of one? Look back to early in the season when our top 4D were out and we had Sulak, Cholo, Witkowski, and Hronek all playing big minutes. We weren't even competitive in games. Two and a half weeks and all the games were pretty much like the Montreal game of a week ago.

And actually.. wait, wait, wait... Now Ehn and De La Rose are on the **** list? Those are the exact type of guys you are stumping to see in wanting Turgeon and Holmstrom. They're the exact same level of player. Take the name and number off the jerseys and the effectiveness of the player would be damn near the same.

You can be more a dumpster fire by giving guys who haven't done anything to earn a cup of coffee at the NHL a cup of coffee at the NHL level and they show you that they're worthless. Like say you give Holmstrom 3 games and he predictably is garbage or at best pulls an Ehn and hovers around a -1 and plays at a mediocre fourth line level. What new knowledge does that provide you? If a guy is to have a jump in his play... you'd see it in the AHL level. Zadina looks better now once he's in the NHL because he started to look better at the AHL level.
Jesus Christ man I’m not asking those guys to be top 6 players and you talk about how much worse we can be? We lost 6-1 today , we’re third last if we end up with 6 fewer points is that a big deal ?

We have a 9th overall player in Rasmussen being on a 4th line barely playing , how the hell is that good for his development? We’re turning him into a 3-4th line guy (not a fan of his selection anyways) it’s just stupidity all around on this team

Ya that would be the simple easier answer regarding zadina , couldn’t possibly be cause he was moved up top 6(where he should have been) and playing wiht better players , ppl time as opposed to the first 2-3 games where he played 4th line with mediocre talent surrounding him

Anyways I feel like this is just going around in circles and I’m pretty sure you’ll agree with me that we’ll never agree on this so I don’t wanna keep doing this song and dance , agree to disagree on this stuff

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Hronek also did great in AHL last season and pretty much dominated the league this year. That is how a prospect looks when he is pushing for an NHL job, and that is why Hronek is now a regular and getting big minutes.

It's funny how the good prospects get called up and the bad ones don't.
Ya it’s funny , cause cholowski isn’t better than Daley,ericsson,kronwall

Anyways I don’t care in his case cause I actually want us to play like the horseshit losers we are at the moment , I want us to tank ;) beef is only getting to see sample games of some kids we have rather than playing with these aging vets who have no future in Detroit when in this instance it does nothing in the standings cause we suck regardless who’s in

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Holmstrom when you watch him play in GR, you do not notice that he is even out there on the ice. The only time you notice is when he scores a goal. He is fortunate that he has 11 goals in GR this season. Skating is his downfall and if he can barely keep up here in the AHL, how is he going to do in the NHL?

As for Turgeon, he had a great season in GR last season and the Wings called up him for a few games to take a look and he looked good out there. Then the blood clot problem happened and he was forced to shut down and not play for the Griffins in their playoffs last season. It took him several months to recover from that and he is getting around, but Turgeon has not produced offensively this season compared to last. His main role is a checking forward, plays on the 1st unit PK unit and lately he has played on the 2nd PP unit (mainly taking offensive zone draws and net front prenence). With Ehn and De La Rose in the Wings organization as well as the Wings last month signed Turner Elson to a 2-yr NHL contract, Turgeon is stuck here in GR.

Hicketts is having a down season here in GR as he is trying to do too much for himself here and he is making constant mistakes to where the end result ends up watching our goalies take the puck out of net. It would not surprise me if the Wings let him go after this season and not resign him. I also would not be surprise if the Wings use one of their "call-ups" to bring Hicketts up to see if the Wings think that he is deserving of resigning him after this season.

I think you need to make a trip to Grand Rapids and watch a few Griffins games in person and you would get an idea as to why some players deserve a look in the NHL and why some players do not.
Turner Elson lol

What you said about calling up hicketts to see if we should sign him is exactly what I’m saying about the other players , who’s to say turgeon can’t be a 4th c, penalty killer grinder type with size for us? Cause we have ehn and delarose?so that means we don’t further evaluate other players before releasing them?

You know some players actually play better in the nhl than ahl and last I checked the Grand Rapids lineup is full of 30 yr old ahl hacks, there’s hardly anyone for these kids to play with, probably the reason zadina struggled most of the year as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad