We gonna call up axel holmstrom and turgeon before the season?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Just read an article saying axel holmstrom is going to leave and go back to Sweden joining a long list of ex prospects like axelson,ryno etc... who f’d Off and went back home and too be honest I don’t blame the guy , it’s going to be three seasons he’s in Grand Rapids and he’s had 0 games in the nhl.

Yes he wasn’t a first rounder or even second but he broke a sedins playoff record for pts by a rookie so I was hopeful he might some day make the team but to not even give the guy a handful of games to see what he can do is just crazy , I blame this on kh loading the wings team with nothing but bottom line guys.

I’d still like to see him called up for 4-5 games and see how he does and maybe he performs and sticks around next season , same with Dominic turgeon he’s gonna be 23 soon and should be the 4th c but hasn’t got a look either so I’m guessing if he’s not gonna be here next season he will never be a redwing and should just be moved

I know these kids aren’t stars but I don’t see the point of them rotting away to never getting a shot, they’ve put in years in Grand Rapids and deserves a shot especially with where we are

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Yup that’s what I think will happen but I think it’s stupid , what’s the point of having these kids and never seeing what we have? Same with hicketts I remember him having solid games for us and he’s never been seen or heard from again

All in favour of aging players in our lineup

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Axel Holmström was fine as a prospect until 2016.

Then NHL changed. Skating become everything (after the World Cup which opened everybody's eyes with the NA All-Star team) and his biggest weakness is that he is a poor skater.

That killed his NHL career. Guy is fine with AHL lower game pace, but can't handle it ever in NHL.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Meh. It maybe would've been nice to get a look at Holmstrom but he's never knocked down the door with his performances in GR.

Turgeon somehow did get a look, but he's an vanilla as they come.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Meh. It maybe would've been nice to get a look at Holmstrom but he's never knocked down the door with his performances in GR.

Turgeon somehow did get a look, but he's an vanilla as they come.
So’s most of the roster we currently have , like I stated I know holmstrom and turgeon aren’t elite prospects but it be nice to give them 2-4 games and see what occurs especially with the situation we’re in , what’s the worst that can happen? We lose?

Tired of seeing the same players wasting away , vanek ain’t coming back next year , he didn’t wanna get traded? Well enjoy the arena seats and watch the games for a few games , same with abdelkader who’s been underwhelming

I’d rather watch a few kids up than these same chumps every game

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
They can only be called up in an emergency as DRW's have used up all of our call-ups

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've always been a big Holmstrom fan, but the guy never got his skating to a point where he could legitimately make the jump. I wouldn't include him with the likes of Ryno and HTD, who had lousy attitudes and just weren't willing to do the work, imo.

Now Andersson made it up for a bit, but he is much more comparable to Axel Holmstrom.

His skating was troubling when he was drafted and now the whole league is in hyper-drive speed wise. I expect him to be a great European pro for sure when he does go back though because he is a really smart hockey player. He is just not suited for the game over here. Turgeon is okay, I am just not sure he is better than what we already have and we know what we have isn't all that good soooo.... Yeah while I liked both guys and I do think they are running out of time. I thought Turgeon would make it but the odds get longer with him not up by now and Glendening locked into the roster to start next year. Ehn was a big blow to him in my opinion.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
They can only be called up in an emergency as DRW's have used up all of our call-ups
I don't think we have. We used two on Hronek and Zadina to make them eligible for the AHL playoffs. I'm pretty sure Ehn and Sateri were emergency call ups.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Players of Holmstrom and Turgeon's caliber (if not better) are available on waivers every year (see Jacob de la Rose). Who cares if you lose them, when you can easily pick up some other teams' Holmstrom or Turgeon if you ever need a fringe NHLer.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Just read an article saying axel holmstrom is going to leave and go back to Sweden joining a long list of ex prospects like axelson,ryno etc... who f’d Off and went back home and too be honest I don’t blame the guy , it’s going to be three seasons he’s in Grand Rapids and he’s had 0 games in the nhl.

Yes he wasn’t a first rounder or even second but he broke a sedins playoff record for pts by a rookie so I was hopeful he might some day make the team but to not even give the guy a handful of games to see what he can do is just crazy , I blame this on kh loading the wings team with nothing but bottom line guys.

I’d still like to see him called up for 4-5 games and see how he does and maybe he performs and sticks around next season , same with Dominic turgeon he’s gonna be 23 soon and should be the 4th c but hasn’t got a look either so I’m guessing if he’s not gonna be here next season he will never be a redwing and should just be moved

I know these kids aren’t stars but I don’t see the point of them rotting away to never getting a shot, they’ve put in years in Grand Rapids and deserves a shot especially with where we are

Who are they better than?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

He needed to prove he belonged in the NHL. He did not.

You don’t get given “a handful of games” for fun. If you aren’t arguably or demonstrably better than another option, you’ve got no real basis to complain.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015

That is why I said earlier, that, if I am a draftee not named Hughes or Kakko, I pray the Wings don't pick me.This organization has a tendency to keep prospects in GR for way too long.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yup that’s what I think will happen but I think it’s stupid , what’s the point of having these kids and never seeing what we have? Same with hicketts I remember him having solid games for us and he’s never been seen or heard from again

All in favour of aging players in our lineup
Unfortunately not everyone can make it to the NHL. Holmstrom hasn’t done anything at the AHL level to warrant an NHL call-up. Turgeon was beaten out by Ehn and De La Rose for the 4th line role.
Hicketts has not progressed after a promising start to his pro career.

We have lots of youngsters and some just won’t crack the roster.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Unfortunately not everyone can make it to the NHL. Holmstrom hasn’t done anything at the AHL level to warrant an NHL call-up. Turgeon was beaten out by Ehn and De La Rose for the 4th line role.
Hicketts has not progressed after a promising start to his pro career.

We have lots of youngsters and some just won’t crack the roster.

I don't think that's correct.
Didn't Turgeon lose his spot due to his injury and then never got a chance to get it back? That's how I remember it...and he was really good in those 5 games he played. Instead, the Wings played lots of plugs over him all season long. That's not how a rebuild works. Didn't hear of anything that would justify such a treatment. Just look at how many chances a guy like Frk got. I don't get how he or any of the plugs got to stay with Wings over Turgeon all season long. It's mindboggling. Only possible in Detroit.

Hicketts is a similar story. Played very well when he was up and received praise from pretty much everyone. Zetterberg was even visibly disappointed when Hicketts got sent down...yet still Joe never really got chance because Wings prefer to rush their younger prospects in a meaningless season and to play the same garbage defenders who have been crapping the bed for years now. I'd laugh out loud if it wasn't such a sad story.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don't think we have. We used two on Hronek and Zadina to make them eligible for the AHL playoffs. I'm pretty sure Ehn and Sateri were emergency call ups.
I don't know for sure - thought that they needed to use the Emergency call up for Ehn because they were out - you're probably right

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Didn't Turgeon lose his spot due to his injury and then never got a chance to get it back? That's how I remember it...and he was really good in those 5 games he played. Instead, the Wings played lots of plugs over him all season long. That's not how a rebuild works. Didn't hear of anything that would justify such a treatment. Just look at how many chances a guy like Frk got. I don't get how he or any of the plugs got to stay with Wings over Turgeon all season long. It's mindboggling. Only possible in Detroit.

Hicketts is a similar story. Played very well when he was up and received praise from pretty much everyone. Zetterberg was even visibly disappointed when Hicketts got sent down...yet still Joe never really got chance because Wings prefer to rush their younger prospects in a meaningless season and to play the same garbage defenders who have been crapping the bed for years now. I'd laugh out loud if it wasn't such a sad story.
Turgeon had bad luck with injuries but it’s unfair to say playing Ehn/De La Rose over Turgeon is not rebuilding. They’re all about the same age. Turgeon’s also had a bad year in AHL, hardly pushing for a call-up.

Hicketts is undersized and not doing great in AHL. For rebuilding purposes it’s better to give Cholo/Hronek experience.

Don’t get hung up on individual depth-prospects. Some make it, some don’t. Not all of them deserve free chances if they’re not even doing well at lower levels.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm all for young dudes, I really am. Both of those guys, honestly, don't "deserve" a shot. They've not done enough to warrant it in the lower leagues. They're average players in the AHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Turgeon had bad luck with injuries but it’s unfair to say playing Ehn/De La Rose over Turgeon is not rebuilding. They’re all about the same age. Turgeon’s also had a bad year in AHL, hardly pushing for a call-up.

Hicketts is undersized and not doing great in AHL. For rebuilding purposes it’s better to give Cholo/Hronek experience.

Don’t get hung up on individual depth-prospects. Some make it, some don’t. Not all of them deserve free chances if they’re not even doing well at lower levels.

What they should have done is move Nielsen and Glendening as well as asking useless AHLers like Helm to waive their NTC. They held on to Frk for far too long, too.
Cholowski and Hronek both struggled badly at NHL season. It's not good to expose them to something they're not ready for...especially in a season where there's nothing to win.

Hearing only good things about Hicketts. Who says that he wouldn't do great? In fact, they shouldn't have sent him down at all.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He was struggling pretty bad himself... I wouldn't call him up honestly cause he's in playoff mode for the AHL right now. He'll get another shot next offseason but, can I ask you what Joe Hicketts ceiling is compared to both Cholowski/Hronek?

I compared Cholowski to Dan Hamhuis and Filip Hronek to Marek Zidlicky. Joe Hicketts to me doesn't look to be nothing more than a bottom pairing D/7th defender on a team.

I like him but I'm not sure they're are things that make in special.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Too much consternation here over not playing younger AHL plugs over established NHL plugs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad