Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Hopefully it's nothing serious with Giles.

Without him our bullpen is probably the worst in the league, I wouldn't have much hope for the playoffs if he's out for an extended period of time.

Plus, if we are way out by the deadline, he could fetch us a serious haul. With the amount of teams who will be in the mix with this 16 team playoff format, it will be a sellers market.

Although I still wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him even if we are way out, depending on the price (and the offers on the table).

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Without him our bullpen is probably the worst in the league, I wouldn't have much hope for the playoffs if he's out for an extended period of time.

Plus, if we are way out by the deadline, he could fetch us a serious haul. With the amount of teams who will be in the mix with this 16 team playoff format, it will be a sellers market.

Although I still wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him even if we are way out, depending on the price (and the offers on the table).

He's got injury and behavioral problems that most teams wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole. Giles wont be in the bigs 3 years from now.

I agree our bull pen is garbage. They have a pitcher who throws about as fast as a pee wee pitcher, throw a dead red pitch to a pull hitter, with the RF playing heavily biased towards center. Who would ave though that pitch would have been pulled into the corner... color me shocked. For frig sakes, Charlie you messed up.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Normally yeah for sure, but Dan and Buck made a good point watching the game that teams may not want to give up prospect capital in a season which may not even get completed due to Covid.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He's got injury and behavioral problems that most teams wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole. Giles wont be in the bigs 3 years from now.

I agree our bull pen is garbage. They have a pitcher who throws about as fast as a pee wee pitcher, throw a dead red pitch to a pull hitter, with the RF playing heavily biased towards center. Who would ave though that pitch would have been pulled into the corner... color me shocked. For frig sakes, Charlie you messed up.

Behavioral issues? I think the stint with the Jays have shown how overblown those concerns really were.

Injuries are an issue, but the talent and production is absolutely undeniable. When healthy he's a top-5 reliever in baseball. I guarantee if he's healthy and made available, 16+ teams will be in a bidding war.

Reactions: ktownhockey and kb

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
He's got injury and behavioral problems that most teams wouldn't touch with a 50 foot pole.

Ridiculous.

1. Yamaguchi was throwing 92.
2. It was a slider.
3. McGuire was calling for it down at the knees and he missed up.
4. Kiermaier is one of the least pull-hitting players in the league.

If you want to blame Montoyo for his earlier bullpen usage that led to having to go to the "scrub" relievers in an emergency situation, then sure... I think he does deserve blame for that. He put guys in specific roles and didn't adjust, and that's a problem. But mischaracterizing every detail of what happened and then blaming Montoyo for all those things is a little much.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Those Montoyo quotes are another good reason why this season is weird. I support not throwing the team under the bus three games into the season, but those are complete loser mentality quotes to make with 57 games left in a season where you're in a playoff race. Unfortunately those happen to be one and the same this year.

Far cry from 'this isn't the try league' that's for sure.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
MLB will have to call off the season in less than a month.

Absolute failure considering every other league more or less got it right (as right as possible given the circumstances).

Reactions: supermann_98

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Those Montoyo quotes are another good reason why this season is weird. I support not throwing the team under the bus three games into the season, but those are complete loser mentality quotes to make with 57 games left in a season where you're in a playoff race. Unfortunately those happen to be one and the same this year.

Far cry from 'this isn't the try league' that's for sure.

Yeah, I get that you want to be supportive of a young, inexperienced team, but there has to be some middle ground between "We suck and screwed up big time" and "Well at least we tried our best, and we're still dear friends!"

Obviously we'll never really know this, but as long as the message behind closed doors is different than what he's saying to the media, I'm fine with it.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well if the season is over I think we can say this topic's hype for Cavan Biggio was justified - .385/.429/.615 with a 196 wRC+. Truly elite numbers, albeit with a worrying decline in plate discipline.

I don't even want to talk about Vlad.

Reactions: Morgs

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Ridiculous.

1. Yamaguchi was throwing 92.
2. It was a slider.
3. McGuire was calling for it down at the knees and he missed up.
4. Kiermaier is one of the least pull-hitting players in the league.

If you want to blame Montoyo for his earlier bullpen usage that led to having to go to the "scrub" relievers in an emergency situation, then sure... I think he does deserve blame for that. He put guys in specific roles and didn't adjust, and that's a problem. But mischaracterizing every detail of what happened and then blaming Montoyo for all those things is a little much.

You saying the slider was 92? When we know earlier in the count the announcers said his fast ball was 92... we all know he was not throwing his slider at 92. Soooo ever hear the story about the guy who responded to me and intentionally did what he accused me of doing, yeah its a cute story...

So maybe you've been living in a cave for the last 3 years but Gilles DOES have a lengthy history of injuries and DOES have issues with his temper and relationships with his coaches... google it you might learn something, its not hard to find many articles on both issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad