Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I second the sentiments of the chances of Karlsson being 10% or less. I love Karlsson but I want Yzerman be realistic about it. Don't just suddenly buckle and fork over a Point or Sergachev after it was made clear that they were off limits. Wasn't Foote amongst those "off limits" players too? At any rate just stick to your guns per the original terms of the original negotiation. It's already going to cost a fortune but I'll be damned if its gonna cost us one of the best young D in the game and one of the best young centers in game who is already a 30 goal scorer by his sophomore campaign. Don't take two steps back to go one step forward and create a need at center in the process.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't see it happening without a 1st, and we don't have one until 2020. Maybe Yzerman is trying to bring in another team? Or maybe JT Miller + Tyler Johnson + Cal Foote or something?

I'm not sure I like paying that kind of price for a soon-to-be UFA, but man, acquiring Karlsson would give us an All Time Great defense. On paper, anyway. (And wow, look at all those Swedes.)

Dude you're not kidding. Am I crazy to say Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh, Stralman > Stevens, Neidermayer, Daneyko?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I can't see it happening without a 1st, and we don't have one until 2020. Maybe Yzerman is trying to bring in another team? Or maybe JT Miller + Tyler Johnson + Cal Foote or something?

I'm not sure I like paying that kind of price for a soon-to-be UFA, but man, acquiring Karlsson would give us an All Time Great defense. On paper, anyway. (And wow, look at all those Swedes.)

I think chances of resigning are significantly higher then actually acquiring him, lots of good things here and with a couple buddies, his caphit here wouldn't be as high as it would be elsewhere.

However that's a pretty solid package, RFA Miller, Johnson on term and low AAV and a top prospect. They needed a center, a winger to replace Hoffman and a top defensive prospect for losing Karlsson, we'll even throw in Killorn cause he's cheap and they love cheap.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Charlie Coyle is on the trade block? would be an ideal RW depth who can slot in at C as well.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
I'd say trading for Karlsson is a very slim possibility - we'd have a far greater chance if he hits UFA next year.

The holdup with Karlsson could be that he doesn't want to sign with the teams he could be traded to.

Kovy would be an amazing signing depending on term, would bring competition within the team (with his shot) and hopefully force Stamkos to shoot like he used to.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I wonder if that means we're planning to acquire somebody currently in another organization's system, somewhere.

I like not bringing back Kunitz. I wouldn't have minded bringing him back, so long as press-boxing him was an option, because he's a cheap, effective 4th liner. But I like opening up a door for a younger player to break into the league.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Isn't it just media etiquette to say you want to bring back your RFA's? Wouldn't just go out and say you don't want to extend them or willing to trade them, I mean he said he wanted to extend Drouin too.

My impression was that he was going to try and resign Miller but even if his intention was to trade I don't think he'd come out and say it.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wonder if that means we're planning to acquire somebody currently in another organization's system, somewhere.

I like not bringing back Kunitz. I wouldn't have minded bringing him back, so long as press-boxing him was an option, because he's a cheap, effective 4th liner. But I like opening up a door for a younger player to break into the league.
I’m telling you guys yzerman said he tried to trade for JT Miller in the Marty St. Louis trade back in 2014 at the deadline he has wanted him for years. It’s yzermans plan to sign Miller

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I’m telling you guys yzerman said he tried to trade for JT Miller in the Marty St. Louis trade back in 2014 at the deadline he has wanted him for years. It’s yzermans plan to sign Miller
In 2014, we liked DeAngelo more than Pastrnak.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ugh if we're gonna pay Miller $6 million to score twice as deep into the playoffs as game 7 of an ECF then we might as well give a raise to Ryan Callahan. Unless this guy plans on turning over a new leaf come playoff time I don't want any part of him for that kind of price. Sadly what choice is management given but a raise with the cap going up? Call this my own personal vendetta in action here but I don't care for it. I have ZERO doubt we have a roster that can win 50 games next year. But 16 in the playoffs? I wish I could say I didn't. Finding goals when we need them most has been our Achilles heel in 4 separate eliminations now. Giving Miller a big pay day does nothing to ease my concerns. I want to be wrong here and enjoy eating my salted crow out of a silver chalice a year from now saying "Why, why did I doubt Yzerman?" He's a good player but a playoff ghost so far

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ugh if we're gonna pay Miller $6 million to score twice as deep into the playoffs as game 7 of an ECF then we might as well give a raise to Ryan Callahan. Unless this guy plans on turning over a new leaf come playoff time I don't want any part of him for that kind of price. Sadly what choice is management given but a raise with the cap going up? Call this my own personal vendetta in action here but I don't care for it. I have ZERO doubt we have a roster that can win 50 games next year. But 16 in the playoffs? I wish I could say I didn't. Finding goals when we need them most has been our Achilles heel in 4 separate eliminations now. Giving Miller a big pay day does nothing to ease my concerns. I want to be wrong here and enjoy eating my salted crow out of a silver chalice a year from now saying "Why, why did I doubt Yzerman?" He's a good player but a playoff ghost so far
He probably pays Miller a 6 year deal for 5 avv per season no worries in year one he won’t get a NMC so they got till July 1st 2019 to trade him for cap room if they wish.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He probably pays Miller a 6 year deal for 5 avv per season no worries in year one he won’t get a NMC so they got till July 1st 2019 to trade him for cap room if they wish.

With the higher cap, I just don't see him signing for 0.5m more than Alex Killorn. I think he's gonna want more than Johnson and probably more than Palat. And he has arbitration rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->