Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Someone will give Sustr a shot. And for like 6 games, they'll think it was a good decision.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I disagree. If Tavares wanted to come here, you sign him.

Why? Point is only getting better, he needs more minutes not less. Bringing in Tavares takes away ES and PP time from him. Sure we'd have the best center depth in the league but we'd most likely not be able to improve the defense which is more important. Stamkos is still a good enough 1C, Point is one of the best 2C and if Cirelli improves from what he showed late last year should be a top 3C. That would be good center depth and also cheap so that we could improve the roster in other areas.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Someone will give Sustr a shot. And for like 6 games, they'll think it was a good decision.

If you bring him in as a bottom pair guy and pair him with a decent pick mover he's more than capable. We just didn't have a puck mover to pair him with and if he's with another defensive first guy he has flaws. As a 6/7 you could do a heck of a lot worse than him.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
While we're on that we should trade Hedman and sign Carlsson, he'll be cheaper and imagine the cheap young talent Hedman could bring back.
I know you’re being very sarcastic but, Tavares is likely to be interested in playing with Stammer. I don’t know if Carlson is even remotely interested.

Also, what Heddy does isn’t replaceable except for maybe 2-3 other Dman in the NHL. Carlson isn’t one of them IMO.

I do believe Tavares would be very productive here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Here is the real bet for everyone. Does anyone try to sign the Baby Giraffe?

I sincerely doubt it. He once managed to go -2 in 3 minutes of TOI. Unarguably one of the worst players I have ever watched in a Lightning sweater in my 13 years as a fan. If it wasn't for the fact he was one of those "free agent prospect" signings he would've played his last game for us years ago.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If you bring him in as a bottom pair guy and pair him with a decent pick mover he's more than capable. We just didn't have a puck mover to pair him with and if he's with another defensive first guy he has flaws. As a 6/7 you could do a heck of a lot worse than him.

If you can find me someone worse then I'll never think to question your insight.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
The only one I would want is Faulk. Karlsson would kill our prospect pool and futures to acquire, then we need to pay him 10+ and will be 29 when he signs that deal. Simmonds is declining but if came cheap I wouldn't mind but the reported ask is too high. Panarin will cost a ton to acquire and will want 9-10mil, rather use that on Kucherov. Tavares makes no sense with Stamkos and Point, sure he's better than both but Stamkos isn't going anywhere, unfortunately, and Point will need a raise soon.

I know the cap is going up but not enough to bring in a near 10mil player, Karlsson, Tavares or Panarin. We need to get Kucherov locked up first and make sure we keep room for Point, Vasilevskiy and Sergachev. We aren't going to get these guys by trading Killorn+, Johnson+ or Palat+. If that was the case I'd be all for it.

Yeah im not necessarily keen on all of them, moreso the fact all these high profiled players can be on the move this summer.

Last edited:

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The only one I would want is Faulk. Karlsson would kill our prospect pool and futures to acquire, then we need to pay him 10+ and will be 29 when he signs that deal. Simmonds is declining but if came cheap I wouldn't mind but the reported ask is too high. Panarin will cost a ton to acquire and will want 9-10mil, rather use that on Kucherov. Tavares makes no sense with Stamkos and Point, sure he's better than both but Stamkos isn't going anywhere, unfortunately, and Point will need a raise soon.

I know the cap is going up but not enough to bring in a near 10mil player, Karlsson, Tavares or Panarin. We need to get Kucherov locked up first and make sure we keep room for Point, Vasilevskiy and Sergachev. We aren't going to get these guys by trading Killorn+, Johnson+ or Palat+. If that was the case I'd be all for it.
Also in one of you next posts, I've read that "Stamkos is good enough for the 1C"...
We're not talking about a casual player, a medium level one who is not important for the team.
If (of course, it's a big if) he is healthy, he's one of the best in the NHL.
For sure better than Tavares.
Imho of course.

Reactions: Master P

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Also in one of you next posts, I've read that "Stamkos is good enough for the 1C"...
We're not talking about a casual player, a medium level one who is not important for the team.
If (of course, it's a big if) he is healthy, he's one of the best in the NHL.
For sure better than Tavares.
Imho of course.

No he's not. I'm not a Tavares fan at all but he's better than this version of Stamkos. If Stamkos isn't scoring close to 40 than he's not one of the best. His playmaking is ok but looks good because he has one of the best wingers with him. His two way game has improved but is not that great. You also mentioned health, Stamkos is a serious risk to fall off even more due to his health.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Why? Point is only getting better, he needs more minutes not less. Bringing in Tavares takes away ES and PP time from him. Sure we'd have the best center depth in the league but we'd most likely not be able to improve the defense which is more important. Stamkos is still a good enough 1C, Point is one of the best 2C and if Cirelli improves from what he showed late last year should be a top 3C. That would be good center depth and also cheap so that we could improve the roster in other areas.

I'd move Stamkos to LW to take advantage of his skillset. I'm assuming he'd be ok with taking feeds from Tavares

With Tavares you get a real playmaker to set up two elite scorers, and Tavares is very good in the circle which is much needed. Tavares would fill a bigger need than you are letting on

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
No he's not. I'm not a Tavares fan at all but he's better than this version of Stamkos. If Stamkos isn't scoring close to 40 than he's not one of the best. His playmaking is ok but looks good because he has one of the best wingers with him. His two way game has improved but is not that great. You also mentioned health, Stamkos is a serious risk to fall off even more due to his health.
I think the health is his biggest problem. Unfortunately he does not seem very "solid".
But I would not trade him, in general.
Btw, I agree with you when you said that Karlsson, Simmonds and Panaris are too expensive to acquire.
Also because I don't think Yzerman will sacrifice lots of prospects. (Karlsson will go to Vegas...Tavares to the Leafs probably, for example).
I'm curious to see what happens with Yzerman, Kucherov and Point contracts that for me are more important than the trades...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd move Stamkos to LW to take advantage of his skillset. I'm assuming he'd be ok with taking feeds from Tavares

With Tavares you get a real playmaker to set up two elite scorers, and Tavares is very good in the circle which is much needed. Tavares would fill a bigger need than you are letting on

Stamkos doesn't like the wing, he didn't want to play it when they had Johnson on the top line two years ago. Having Tavares would make our offense even more deadly but it's not a necessity. How would he fill a bigger need than I'm letting on? We have two really good centers so not like we are desperate for a top 6 one. Paying him 10mil might hurt our chances resigning Kucherov. If we still resigned Kucherov then we'd be in for a lot of roster trimming to cut cap and we would be relying on a ton of ELC players to fill the roster out. The defense wouldn't be upgraded either, we'd be targeting castoffs like Girardi again since we could only afford mid to low salary vets.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I like Tanev. And his defensive skills is exactly what we need. His injuries are obvious scary and going by the article, let's say its:

Koekkoek + 2020 1st + Dotchin.

For

Tanev + conditional 3rd

Conditons on the 3rd is if he plays less that 50 games in a season it becomes a 1st, between 50-78 a 2nd, 78 or more stays a 3rd. Or conversely our 2020 pick goes down depending on how many games he plays.

I think this is the best way to mitigate risk on Tanev's injury history. Whether Koekkoek and Dotchin work is besides the point, I'm more interested on the thoughts about the conditions on the picks.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stamkos doesn't like the wing, he didn't want to play it when they had Johnson on the top line two years ago. Having Tavares would make our offense even more deadly but it's not a necessity. How would he fill a bigger need than I'm letting on? We have two really good centers so not like we are desperate for a top 6 one. Paying him 10mil might hurt our chances resigning Kucherov. If we still resigned Kucherov then we'd be in for a lot of roster trimming to cut cap and we would be relying on a ton of ELC players to fill the roster out. The defense wouldn't be upgraded either, we'd be targeting castoffs like Girardi again since we could only afford mid to low salary vets.

Tavares gives us a reliable faceoff guy and creates match up issues that Stamkos doesn't. I think Stamkos might be more open to moving to wing, maybe I am wrong, but certainly seems like he'd improve if he simplified his game which being a winger would allow him to do easier.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tavares gives us a reliable faceoff guy and creates match up issues that Stamkos doesn't. I think Stamkos might be more open to moving to wing, maybe I am wrong, but certainly seems like he'd improve if he simplified his game which being a winger would allow him to do easier.

Of course having Tavares presents match up issues and is a better all around center than Stamkos. The problem is we are stuck with Stamkos for 6 more years and in that time Point will be a top 2C himself. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him in to help the team but I have a problem paying him 10mil, then paying Kucherov 10mil while we have Stamkos at 8.5, Point will need a raise and so on. If we can somehow dump Johnson and Killorn/Callahan without taking cap back or at least minimal I would do it but can't see that happening.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Of course having Tavares presents match up issues and is a better all around center than Stamkos. The problem is we are stuck with Stamkos for 6 more years and in that time Point will be a top 2C himself. I wouldn't have a problem bringing him in to help the team but I have a problem paying him 10mil, then paying Kucherov 10mil while we have Stamkos at 8.5, Point will need a raise and so on. If we can somehow dump Johnson and Killorn/Callahan without taking cap back or at least minimal I would do it but can't see that happening.
And this is a problem because?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think we can bring in tavares and keep Kuch next year. It would make sense if we moved stamkos for a big return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad