Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again... now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
man I remember when yzerman drafted bret connolly over jeff skinner in the 2010 nhl draft for his first ever draft pick

I remember Gormley was the guy most thought we would pick, and then Fowler dropped and many thought it was between those two...and then Connolly got picked out of the blue. Some major hits and misses in that draft

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We’re not trading mcdonagh and I’d expect yzerman to extend his contract at some point this season.

Im not expecting him to be traded. I dont think Ottawa would be interested in him anyways. Im sure they want young cheaper assets going the other way. Which we gave a few away when we traded for McDonagh. A Karlsson trade is unlikely. Not unless SY pulls out his jedi mind tricks again somehow.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Anyone with a NTC is not going to want to get anywhere near the gongshow that is the current Ottawa Senators.

I don't think we have the assets to do it without Point involved, and, with the way Stamkos looks at times, I don't think we can afford to give up Point.

Point is absolutely untouchable. Not sure I would do him for karlson straight up when age, injury history, and contracts are taken into account. Point could be our number one center for the next decade.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I remember Gormley was the guy most thought we would pick, and then Fowler dropped and many thought it was between those two...and then Connolly got picked out of the blue. Some major hits and misses in that draft
Ya forgot I did want fowler

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
There were a lot of questions about Fowler at the time so we're not the only one who got egg on our face. Koekkoek will forever be the pick that will piss me off the most.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we want to win the Cup why are we trying to sign Tavares? Aren't you guys satisfied enough with mediocrity from Stamkos? Signing Tavares just screams we don't want to win it all we are just happy with getting close enough.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How does that help us Win the Stanley cup next season?

I'm pretty sure Gourde can step into the top 6 and produce the same as Miller. We can bring up any of Volkov, Joseph, Stephens or Katchouk and get 40 points on the 3rd line. We lose a little offensively but we have enough that it's not an issue. Miller didn't do anything in the playoffs we will miss. Not resigning him gives us 5mil to resign more important players and go after a offensive defenseman if we wanted. Any winger besides Kucherov is replaceable, maybe not next year, but we are strong on the wings and have guys lined up to come in to produce at a much cheaper rate.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm pretty sure Gourde can step into the top 6 and produce the same as Miller. We can bring up any of Volkov, Joseph, Stephens or Katchouk and get 40 points on the 3rd line. We lose a little offensively but we have enough that it's not an issue. Miller didn't do anything in the playoffs we will miss. Not resigning him gives us 5mil to resign more important players and go after a offensive defenseman if we wanted. Any winger besides Kucherov is replaceable, maybe not next year, but we are strong on the wings and have guys lined up to come in to produce at a much cheaper rate.
Plus we will have more cash to resign sustr

Reactions: The Macho Man

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd rather move Johnson and keep Miller, Johnson's too redundant on this team and doesn't even play center anymore. He's lost his versatility and is now a player that needs to be heavily catered in the right situation to produce, along with his disappearance in the playoffs this year he's not worth the remainder of his contract. Miller was excellent in the regular season and should have very good numbers over a full year on this team, is younger, yes he needs to play with skill but his upside is way higher then anything Johnson has shown the past couple years. 5 years for Miller that takes him to 30 should be just fine, rather that then 6 more years of Johnson till he's 32.

Reactions: Kusic

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
John Carlson possibly tests the market. He would be great in Tampa, IMO. Trade Johnson, Coburn to save some money and sign Carlson.

Hedman - Carlson
Sergachev - McDonagh
Stralman - Dotchin/Cernak/Girardi

Another change would be trading Stamkos, as I am really disappointed with his performance and then sign Tavares in offseason.. but this is, sadly, impossible option.

And yes, I rather sign Miller and trade Johnson.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd rather move Johnson and keep Miller, Johnson's too redundant on this team and doesn't even play center anymore. He's lost his versatility and is now a player that needs to be heavily catered in the right situation to produce, along with his disappearance in the playoffs this year he's not worth the remainder of his contract. Miller was excellent in the regular season and should have very good numbers over a full year on this team, is younger, yes he needs to play with skill but his upside is way higher then anything Johnson has shown the past couple years. 5 years for Miller that takes him to 30 should be just fine, rather that then 6 more years of Johnson till he's 32.

Even with his down playoffs Johnson was still better than Miller. They had the same amount of points but Johnson had 1 more goal and did all his work at ES. Half Millers goals and points were on the PP and his +/- was worse. Johnson is also a righty which we need more and plays RW which we are weaker on. Miller is a lefty LW which we are loaded with in prospects. I'd trade both of them if possible but would do Miller first since we have replacements ready in Volkov or Joseph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->