We Can Do Better!

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't like to point fingers but we as posters need to hold ourselves accountable for the performance of this forum. We're all guilty of taking shortcuts. Anyone can predict that Lehner will let in a softy or Nolan will miss on a breakaway and be right almost all the time. Anyone can make jokes about the size of Botterill's head or the little tuft of hair on Housley's forehead. That's the easy way out. We need to dig down and compete like we're grabbing for that last beer on the bottom of the cooler while using our bodies as a shield. Some of us only have the skill level to be grinders. We need to see more leadership from the veterans. Some the newer posters are turning jaded and cynical before they've even seen the Sabres in the playoffs. The path to pessimism and depression is not to be rushed. It is to be nurtured and savored. This is a teaching moment that's being neglected because we're too busy posting about how the Sabres can do better. They're never going to learn if they don't figure out how to run the team themselves. We can do better! Take your time and put some thought into your posts. A good rule of thumb is half a Scandella windup is the right amount of time.

In the spirit of accountability I want each of you to post how you can better. Remember it is all your fault.

I will go first even though my own posting has been flawless.

I pledge to do better by not mentioning the size of Botterill's head without mentioning that eyes have become sunken.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I’ve thought long and hard about my post. Deleted a huge multi paragraph contribution that rivals some novels some posters type.

But came up with ....

no-answer.gif

:laugh:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Everyone in this room needs to be better. Obviously that starts with me, but it also starts obviously with everybody. Obviously nobody is happy with where we are as a team of fans. We just need to keep showing up every day and putting in the work and being accountable, and that's what we're all here for, and that's what we need to keep doing, and obviously that's what hasn't worked so far, and that's how we're gonna turn it around.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I realize it takes extra time,
But we should write our posts in rhyme,
So when we dump on Nate Beaulieu,
We stop to choose a word or two.

And all of us could joke all day,
About the verbal skills of poor Rob Ray,
Or how the play of Jordan Nolan,
Induces spasms in my colon.

I know it takes an act of will,
To not just type out, “@#*% you, Phil!”,
But Buffaloed’s completely right,
Let’s bring our A game every night.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I realize it takes extra time,
But we should write our posts in rhyme,
So when we dump on Nate Beaulieu,
We stop to choose a word or two.

And all of us could joke all day,
About the verbal skills of poor Rob Ray,
Or how the play of Jordan Nolan,
Induces spasms in my colon.

I know it takes an act of will,
To not just type out, “@#*% you, Phil!”,
But Buffaloed’s completely right,
Let’s bring our A game every night.
Marry me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a situation where... change needs to be made. We need to dig deep and give 110%. We've got to be better. Everyone has to look in the mirror and ask themselves, "Why am I typing while looking in a mirror? Do I have a problem with device usage? Is this thing on?"

I know what I haven't given out enough infractions and I need to do better. I've taken the easy way, using Safari on my phone and instead of struggling to find the infraction buttons, deleting. I will be better.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
We, as veteran posters, have really stepped up so far in this thread, and as I check for the fortieth time today, I see the unconfirmed news that Will Borgen has signed. Coincidence? I think not. When we work together and do what the coaches tell us, we can accomplish anything!

Reactions: Snippit and Dingo44

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's a bit frustrating for myself to get that question from people because it's a pretty simple answer to be honest with you: I'm posting because I'm a poster. It's kind of ridiculous for somebody to think the fact that we're out of the playoffs and we don't have an opportunity to really do anything with our season that I would just pack my year in. It's not who I am as a person. It's not who I've ever been and not who I am as a poster. At the end of the day, I love to post. Whether we're in first place or last place in the league, it doesn't matter to me. I like to put my keyboard warrior equipment on, go out there, post about hockey. That's why I'm posting. I love to post. I have a lot of fun doing it. It's what I look most forward to in my day. There's not really quite a feeling like it. I enjoy it every day. I'm a shitposter. I want to be out there shitposting. I want to post, so that's why I'm posting. I think there should be a lot more questions asked if I decided I did want to pack it in and end my posting because I had an ankle injury grown completely weary of watching my team play garbage hockey. That's all part of us just building a culture around here. We should all want to be posting in here every night, and I think that's important.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I've been at 4 games this year and we lost them all. I have to face the fact that my cheering just wasn't good enough. I need to be better and show more character and grit by pummeling some drunk obnoxious rags fan into a coma after they start a problem with me. I can't just be a passenger anymore, I've got to pull my weight.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
When I was picked 2nd overall back in the 2002 HF message board draft, I thought my elegant prose and trenchant whit would be sufficient to effortlessly carry me through endless hockey discussions. Alas, my failure to grasp the basic rules of hockey, and my inability to name a single NHL player, was quickly exposed by other more experienced posters, and it became increasingly harder to shake the "bust" label.

Undeterred, I started to stay after a thread was relegated to the second page and work with Chainshot on the fundamentals ("no slip, that's a winger, not a zamboni, etc."). Eventually I memorized the name of every player on the roster, and even the names of a couple players on the rosters of other teams. Now my posts have exceeded 5 figures and my likes are way, way up. So to all you posters who think you have nothing to say or who think your opinion doesn't matter -- well, you're probably right. So please shut up and let the professionals handle the discussion while you lurk anonymously, dreaming of message board glory.

Reactions: Dingo44

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Well, all I'm saying is that I want to look back and say that I was the best poster I could be while I was stuck in this place. Liked as many posts as I could while I was stuck in this place. Quoted as hard as I could while I was stuck in this place. Typedasmanyposts asIcouldwhileIwasstcuckinthisplace.

and y'know that's just what I love about these Sabres, man. I get older, they stay the same.

Reactions: Sabreality

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I think I just need to spend a few games watching threads from up in the box. This could really help me see the larger picture of what we are trying to do here and how the system can work as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad