Post-Game Talk: We Are The Ones (who still haven't won yet) Edm 4 - NJ 3 SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
No offense. I just have a hard time buying into real deal James Neal.

Our broadcast was pumping you guys up like a cup parade was about to happen l, though I think it was because they didn’t want to admit this was two teams playing a bad game.
Idk. Was there a better topic that the broadcast guys should have been discussing? Halls contract? Pk Subban? What?

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Can't remember any/many moments from the first three games when Hughes danced like he did last night. He looked great on the puck, especially in space.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Also I don’t really care to pin this on the refs because our special teams are shit so it probably wouldn’t have made a difference, but there were at least five “missed” holding calls on the Oilers, and I don’t think I’m exaggerating.

Reactions: glenwo2

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know people don't want to hear it but that was actually a solid effort that got torpedoed by special teams. We were the better team at ES by a pretty good amount.

If this was December and we were 26-16-3 everyone one shrug and be happy with a point.

yeah, I feel nowhere near as demoralized as the previous games. They actually looked like an NHL team for the most part, especially the third. I’m just thinking of it like they’re 1-3. Saturday will certainly be a test though...

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I know people don't want to hear it but that was actually a solid effort that got torpedoed by special teams. We were the better team at ES by a pretty good amount.

If this was December and we were 26-16-3 everyone one shrug and be happy with a point.
Agreed. We could not handle your speed very well, especially in the neutral zone. We turned a lot of pucks over, some just boneheaded plays but a lot due to your forecheck.
Devils played well, we just had a lucky night.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
also just gotta say im getting more excited about hughes - looked terrible the first couple of games but you gotta expect a learning curve. didn't think he would adapt so quickly but once the points start to come it feels like theyre going to come in bunches

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
also just gotta say im getting more excited about hughes - looked terrible the first couple of games but you gotta expect a learning curve. didn't think he would adapt so quickly but once the points start to come it feels like theyre going to come in bunches

It’s crazy to think that Hughes is used to scoring literally two points a game. This is probably some of the most adversity he has ever faced. You can see his confidence building each game, you have to think he’s about to start becoming a regular threat out there.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
My view from the game was that NJ competed amd MBW mad some big saves but as others have noted for whatever reason the PK was a total let down. In real time it didn’t look like any of the goals were softies on MBW’s part with the game tying goal being something of a quick net mouth scramble with the real culprit being passive coverage that seems to allow the other team to get too close before NJ starts trying to actively defend. That passive positioning seemed true at even strength as well. That was why there was one shift where Nico’s line got gemmed in defensively and the crowd booed. It was a by product of coverage where the other team was largely allowed to play outside the faceoff dots and NJ players wouldn’t really engage until play cane inside of that area.

Nico skated well. His handling of the puck is very good but not exceptional. He was robbed on a couple of chances to my eyes. Just bad luck for now.

Hall still has instant acceleration. He just saved it until he had a chance to go to the net without contact. His shot in OT was close. If that goes in we are looking at two point nights for Nico and Hall.

Hughes looked pretty good. He skated hard when he had the puck. He’s still figuring it out defensively but he was in decent position. His passing is at times risky but he can move the puck like no one else on the team. Once the pro game clicks for him he will be a special player. He didn’t look scared and he was fine with the contact. I do think other teams get to haze him as a high profile rookie similar to what the refs allowed to happen to Nico when he broke in.

the Oilers clutched and grabbed and held all game. The refs let too much of it go. It was a noticeable drag on the game at times which I thought the league wanted to avoid but maybe only for US based teams.

MBW just doesn’t look confident yet. His body language was a bit off to my eyes all game even when the made a number of big saves in the second period. He needs some more technical work on some things but you can see the good goalie in him.

For what it was worth my son saw it as a well played game with just some bad luck for NJ. On balance he’s probably right as I see it.

I’m still disappointed none of you told me how much Beatles got played at the Rock. Oh and they need to expand the selection of hats available at the Devils Den.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Hey remember that time Rooney and Mueller were on the PK late in the game?

Mueller is solid on the PK.

Actually, Mueller & Lovejoy were statistically the Devils best PK defensemen last season.

SH-data.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And Mueller looked fine in real time last night at even strength. Butcher actually looked limited. His skating is an issue in that what I saw was he always backs off to avoid getting beaten. When I paid attention to him he allowed the Oiler player to get to any loose puck so he could start backing up. It’s subtle but it was noticeable to me.

a legit top pair guy to play with PK who can move the puck out of the zone would do wonders for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad