Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This is precisely why we were shutout.
Huh? That post wasn’t meant to be a positive about how the team played. It was about Hughes finally starting to generate some plays which was non existent in the first two games at 5 on 5.

Reactions: Darkauron

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
John Hynes never had talent at the NHL level until 3 games ago. We’ll find out what he is this year.
Barry Trotz didn't have a great roster last season and the Islanders still made the PO. Good coaching should make the whole better than the sum of the parts.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah i disagree that the islanders' d corps and our stanley cup d corps were light years better than what we have right now. but the systems and coaching are on another level

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Alright, I seriously wanna know who created and, more importantly, approved the slogan for this year.

We all thought it was cringeworthy to begin with....but now it comes off as embarrassing to the franchise/brand (seriously) if they don't turn it around. Such a weird slogan to have your players repeating in ads when they haven't done a damn thing.

I'd chirp at these guys all night long if I was an opponent. "We are the Ones....down 4-0"

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Unacceptable with the talent we have... PK at 50% is a joke too.
You do have to wonder what is going on with the PK. They've been very good during Hynes's tenure. Maybe just a rough patch?

We are seeing different guys on there. Could that be part of it?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yeah i disagree that the islanders' d corps and our stanley cup d corps were light years better than what we have right now. but the systems and coaching are on another level
We are mismatched a bit, but we certainly have talent.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
they are not as bad as they’ve shown, and coaching tweaks would help. i am just in disagreement with the idea that a new coach couldn’t possibly have these guys playing better

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Congrats, I played juniors as well. I’ll side with the NHL head coaches, USNTDP and Devils hockey ops who think Hynes is a great coach.
Majority of the time though:

Consistent lack of scoring over a long period = lack of skill
Consistently getting shelled every game/horrid defense = poor system

In general, it's difficult to scheme goals. It's much easier to correct defense as a coach. Do you disagree?

Even if you still choose to defend Hynes (like I used to), the lack of changes to the coaching staff this offseason was very concerning to me. Why is there not better talent on what SHOULD have been seen as an attractive assistant coaching situation heading into this season? Either Hynes thought his staff was great (WRONG) or coaches don't view working with him as a positive. Regardless of which it is, it's on him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Majority of the time though:

Consistent lack of scoring over a long period = lack of skill
Consistently getting shelled every game/horrid defense = poor system

In general, it's difficult to scheme goals. It's much easier to correct defense as a coach. Do you disagree?

Even if you still choose to defend Hynes (like I used to), the lack of changes to the coaching staff this offseason was very concerning to me. Why is there not better talent on what SHOULD have been seen as an attractive assistant coaching situation heading into this season? Either Hynes thought his staff was great (WRONG) or coaches don't view working with him as a positive. Regardless of which it is, it's on him.
I think it's pretty clear that lack of talent could lead to getting shelled every game.

Now is that the problem here? I'd say no.

Is it the system? Maybe.

But it could just be lack of cohesiveness.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
not scoring has to do with cohesiveness- knowing where your teammates are and how they attack the net and position themselves.

not being able to break out from the d zone and move the puck through the neutral zone, terrible pp and penalty kills and generally weak d are on coaching and systems.

it’s not like this is new - we’ve been watching the team struggle with d coverage for years and the reason why everyone is so up in arms isn’t just because of the first few games, it’s because none of the problems that were identified over the past few seasons seem to have been addressed at all

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I think it's pretty clear that lack of talent could lead to getting shelled every game.

Is it the system? Maybe.

You never get the feeling that the devils mesh well together as a seamless 5 man unit.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007

Is it the system? Maybe.

I don't speak in definitives on this topic...I said MAJORITY of the time.

You don't even have to coach the game at any level to get it. Just look at numerous examples of a new coach coming over to a NHL team and DRAMATICALLY impacting their average GA, despite minimal roster changes.

Very rarely does it go the other way where the team is suddenly an offensive powerhouse.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ya we were tying it to Hughes, but Gusev seems to be doing awful on his own.

Now, a break in period is not unexpected, same goes for Hughes, but it certainly has not been a good start.
He miraculously managed to drag down two of the better even strength players in hockey. Impressive!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
not scoring has to do with cohesiveness- knowing where your teammates are and how they attack the net and position themselves.

not being able to break out from the d zone and move the puck through the neutral zone, terrible pp and penalty kills and generally weak d are on coaching and systems.

it’s not like this is new - we’ve been watching the team struggle with d coverage for years and the reason why everyone is so up in arms isn’t just because of the first few games, it’s because none of the problems that were identified over the past few seasons seem to have been addressed at all
I think cohesiveness is an element in all 3 zones, in all situations.

And let's not forget we have seen this team very good on special teams in recent years.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
You do have to wonder what is going on with the PK. They've been very good during Hynes's tenure. Maybe just a rough patch?

We are seeing different guys on there. Could that be part of it?

I'd have to compare film from last year and this year, but I feel like we are overly passive at the moment. Doesn't help we can't clear the puck for shit.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't speak in definitives on this topic...I said MAJORITY of the time.

You don't even have to coach the game at any level to get it. Just look at numerous examples of a new coach coming over to a NHL team and DRAMATICALLY impacting their average GA, despite minimal roster changes.

Very rarely does it go the other way where the team is suddenly an offensive powerhouse.
Was not everyone on this board rejoicing the influx of skill this offseason? Was anyone advocating that influx of skill to be combined with a more conservative system?

No, we were all thinking we were going to be a high tempo team. And we were fine with it.

So what then is the issue? I'd say that guys like Gusev and Hughes are having break in issues, while Hall is not the highflying Hall we expect him to be.

How much of Zacha and Boqvist being scratched have to do with preserving those guys in the early season? I don't know, but I think you do have to get those guys in the lineup more consistently.

I don't think Rooney and Hayden have been issues, I think they do bring something to the game, but I feel the coaching staff is pulling it's punches by throwing them out there.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'd have to compare film from last year and this year, but I feel like we are overly passive at the moment. Doesn't help we can't clear the puck for ****.
Fun early season stat. Subban has been on for 3 shots against on the PK. All 3 have gone in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->