GDT: We are playing the Lightning at hockey today

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If people are complaining about the no call on Necas that was a good non call. He turned his back at the last second and Tripp was out to lunch about the guy having time to pull back. He’s a homer announcer, which is his job.

Cant show people your numbers at the last second. It’s dumb.
I had no issue with that one.

The hit on McGinn is another matter entirely though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I had no issue with that one.

The hit on McGinn is another matter entirely though.
Of all the calls to struggle with it was Skjei’s first one for me. He lifted a guys stick and got called for it. He’s gotten some awful calls this season. It was low on the guys stick too. Later in the game everyone was doing far worse, I don’t blame him for being unsure of how to defend guys.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
If people are complaining about the no call on Necas that was a good non call. He turned his back at the last second and Tripp was out to lunch about the guy having time to pull back. He’s a homer announcer, which is his job.

Cant show people your numbers at the last second. It’s dumb.
Probably a good non call but if Svech did that they would lock him up and throw away the key

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
RBA made a brief comment about how the team may need to learn about how to handle success and big wins better...like it goes to their heads a little and could explain the slow start last night. It makes sense to me as a growing pain. I am sure when beating the big boys becomes more the norm and with regularity i.e. just business, it will be less of an issue.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Of all the calls to struggle with it was Skjei’s first one for me. He lifted a guys stick and got called for it. He’s gotten some awful calls this season. It was low on the guys stick too. Later in the game everyone was doing far worse, I don’t blame him for being unsure of how to defend guys.

Yeah, I thought the same thing re: Skjei's call.
I was away from the TV for the McGinn hit, so can't comment.
Necas, to me, stopped away from the board and turned his back almost as if he was bracing for a hit and thus got hit like he did. I didn't think it should be called when I first saw it live and still feel that way. The boarding rule, as written, includes:

"However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered."

Necas clearly did put himself in that vulnerable position so I can see why it wasn't called. It's a judgement whether or not the hitter could have still avoided it, so I can see why Tripp would say what he did, but that's a lot easier to say watching something in slow motion than in real time. Thankfully Necas wasn't hurt.

He'll want to learn from Aho who lowers his center of gravity and pushes his shoulder back to the attacker to ward off hits like that.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yeah, I thought the same thing re: Skjei's call.
I was away from the TV for the McGinn hit, so can't comment.
Necas, to me, stopped away from the board and turned his back almost as if he was bracing for a hit and thus got hit like he did. I didn't think it should be called when I first saw it live and still feel that way. The boarding rule, as written, includes:

"However, in determining whether such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered."

Necas clearly did put himself in that vulnerable position so I can see why it wasn't called. It's a judgement whether or not the hitter could have still avoided it, so I can see why Tripp would say what he did, but that's a lot easier to say watching something in slow motion than in real time. Thankfully Necas wasn't hurt.

He'll want to learn from Aho who lowers his center of gravity and pushes his shoulder back to the attacker to ward off hits like that.
I do think it's a bit of a grey area, but at the same time Joseph was of skating on a line parallel to him and when Necas turned he cut and threw ALL of his momentum into the top of Necas back...not egregious but definitely a bit reckless especially at that distance from the boards

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I do think it's a bit of a grey area, but at the same time Joseph was of skating on a line parallel to him and when Necas turned he cut and threw ALL of his momentum into the top of Necas back...not egregious but definitely a bit reckless especially at that distance from the boards

That’s all Necas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad