We’re the most over-hyped team. Aren’t we?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
not sure this thread is the right place for this... but I find it very interesting toews has played 873 games in his career and has a career earnings of 91 million dollars

Bergeron has played 1028 games and career earnings of just 84 million... looks to me like we have saved around 20 million dollars on Bergeron or Chicago overpaid

and then you throw in kopitar with 97 million for 1003 games... 888 points compared to begeron with 813... is that really worth an extra 13 million dollars?

we knew we had quite a bargin in Bergeron... but it really is quite a bargain

Toews being the 3rd pick in his draft year as well being the captain of a Cup winner at age 21 gives him a huge monetary advantage over Bergeron.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
A team that has been listed over and over again by "experts" as taking a step back, and some have them missing the playoffs entirely is the most over-hyped team? They've been telling us we're not going to make the playoffs and that Toronto is going to pass us for years now, but we're being overhyped?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins clear cut favorites in the East and will win the Cup IMO. We don't need things to "break right". We can beat anyone. Didn't we trash the teams that beat Tampa and Washington last season? Zero doubt we would have beat them last year and will beat them if we meet up next playoffs

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Hawks only won one cup with Toews/Kane on their ELCs. They were both making 6 million when they beat the Bruins in 2013, with a much lower salary cap.

The Leafs D when healthy is pretty underrated IMO. Rielly-Barrie-Muzzin-Sandin-Dermott-Ceci as a group is pretty solid. This Sandin kid from what I saw in pre-season looks like the real deal, solid and steady even if he's not a huge guy. Maybe not as well-rounded as the Hawks, but in 2019-20, I don't think they have to be.

Toews $6m = 11% of Cap
Kane $6m = 11%
Hossa $ $5.3m = 9.3%

Mathews $11m+ = 14.6%
Tavares $11m = 13.8%
Marner $10.9m = 13.37%

Here’s the CHI 2012-13 roster:

2012-13 Chicago Blackhawks Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

That D is vastly superior to what TOR is rolling out. I don’t think Ceci + Barrie is that much of an upgrade over Zaitsev + Gardiner.

No doubt TOR will be good, especially up front, but I’m not sold on the D, which in turn wears out the goalies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Toews $6m = 11% of Cap
Kane $6m = 11%
Hossa $ $5.3m = 9.3%

Mathews $11m+ = 14.6%
Tavares $11m = 13.8%
Marner $10.9m = 13.37%

That D is vastly superior to what TOR is rolling out. I don’t think Ceci + Barrie is that much of an upgrade over Zaitsev + Gardiner.

No doubt TOR will be good, especially up front, but I’m not sold on the D, which in turn wears out the goalies.

Sandin is the X-factor for me. Dermott is also underrated IMO. Barrie is a far better player for my money than Gardiner (granted I think Jake Gardiner is a terrible hockey player, NEVER understood the hype around him). Ceci for Zaitsev is a wash. I think the improvement in their D-corps comes from the progression of Sandin and Dermott, similar to the Bruins have seen with the likes of McAvoy/Carlo/Gryz. The summer going into 2016-17, Boston's RD group looked like a dumpster fire. Fast forward 6-months later, and it looked pretty darn good.

For me and Toronto's success this year comes down to managing Andersen's minutes, same as the Bruins have done with Rask. If Andersen plays 60+ games the Leafs have little chance of playoff success.

Reactions: Estlin

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
honestly after last season. a team dead last in january won the cup.

any team can win the cup.

The difference is the Blues had pretty tremendous underlying numbers about a month after the coaching change, once the systems had been learned and were put into practice. They also got well above-average goaltending from Binnington, who is still a wild card. Plenty of teams in the basement of the league had no legitimate shot last year and won't this year. But it will be hilarious to see fans of really bad teams pointing to the Blues' success last year as example of what "could happen" to their horrendous team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Toews $6m = 11% of Cap
Kane $6m = 11%
Hossa $ $5.3m = 9.3%

Mathews $11m+ = 14.6%
Tavares $11m = 13.8%
Marner $10.9m = 13.37%

When the Leafs get injuries they can’t go get players like Boston can

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sandin is the X-factor for me. Dermott is also underrated IMO. Barrie is a far better player for my money than Gardiner (granted I think Jake Gardiner is a terrible hockey player, NEVER understood the hype around him). Ceci for Zaitsev is a wash. I think the improvement in their D-corps comes from the progression of Sandin and Dermott, similar to the Bruins have seen with the likes of McAvoy/Carlo/Gryz. The summer going into 2016-17, Boston's RD group looked like a dumpster fire. Fast forward 6-months later, and it looked pretty darn good.

For me and Toronto's success this year comes down to managing Andersen's minutes, same as the Bruins have done with Rask. If Andersen plays 60+ games the Leafs have little chance of playoff success.
If Toronto ever ends up with 4 or 5 D out like Boston did they are screwed

The Bruins could play their 11th & 12th organizational D as the third pair and be fine

Toronto is paper thin

They are so dependent on 5 forwards they lose even 1 you will see a drop

Reactions: BruinDust

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
A team that has been listed over and over again by "experts" as taking a step back, and some have them missing the playoffs entirely is the most over-hyped team? They've been telling us we're not going to make the playoffs and that Toronto is going to pass us for years now, but we're being overhyped?
The guy who wrote this is from Leaf land

Seriously can’t you see what he is doing

Not to difficult

I checked his twitter going way back and when you see ‘Marnsy’ :laugh:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The NHL has tons of parity these days because of the cap. All teams have strong points and weak points, the Bruins are no exception.

If Bruins are healthy, they could win the cup.

If Bruins are hurt, they could be playing golf.

That's the NHL these days.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If Toronto ever ends up with 4 or 5 D out like Boston did they are screwed

The Bruins could play their 11th & 12th organizational D as the third pair and be fine

Toronto is paper thin

They are so dependent on 5 forwards they lose even 1 you will see a drop

Up front, both the Bruins and the Leafs to me are 8 proven forwards deep. And both have a young wildcard.

1) Marchand
2) Bergeron
3) Pastrnak
4) Krejci
5) Debrusk
6) Coyle
7) Heinen
8) Kuraly
WC: Kuhlman

1) Matthews
2) Tavares
3) Marner
4) Nylander
5) Kapanen
6) Johansson
7) Hyman
8) Kerfoot
WC: Mikheyev

I agree the Leafs are bit more top heavy but younger (Leaf have just one guy 30+ and only three F past 25 (Tavares, Hyman and Shore). Bruins are older and coming off a short off-season. Overall I see the Leafs F vs. the Bruins F a total wash at this stage of the season. Reality is the difference between the two teams come April will be the progression of young players current on the roster and even some of those currently in the minors.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Bruins clear cut favorites in the East and will win the Cup IMO. We don't need things to "break right". We can beat anyone. Didn't we trash the teams that beat Tampa and Washington last season? Zero doubt we would have beat them last year and will beat them if we meet up next playoffs
Dr. Lou I feel better after reading this.

Reactions: LouJersey

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Toews $6m = 11% of Cap
Kane $6m = 11%
Hossa $ $5.3m = 9.3%

Mathews $11m+ = 14.6%
Tavares $11m = 13.8%
Marner $10.9m = 13.37%

I think Barrie is a huge upgrade let’s just hope he plays like Gardiner in the playoffs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Up front, both the Bruins and the Leafs to me are 8 proven forwards deep. And both have a young wildcard.

1) Marchand
2) Bergeron
3) Pastrnak
4) Krejci
5) Debrusk
6) Coyle
7) Heinen
8) Kuraly
WC: Kuhlman

1) Matthews
2) Tavares
3) Marner
4) Nylander
5) Kapanen
6) Johansson
7) Hyman
8) Kerfoot
WC: Mikheyev

I agree the Leafs are bit more top heavy but younger (Leaf have just one guy 30+ and only three F past 25 (Tavares, Hyman and Shore). Bruins are older and coming off a short off-season. Overall I see the Leafs F vs. the Bruins F a total wash at this stage of the season. Reality is the difference between the two teams come April will be the progression of young players current on the roster and even some of those currently in the minors.
Bruins are deep, deep, deep

I don’t care what Cory Pronman says. (Read the history on HF for the last 5 years and I own that bitch)

The Bruins have a sustainable blueprint the Leafs will be back in the bottom 5 in points within 10 years whereas the Bruins haven’t been under 90 points since 2006-7

Leafs are like Peyton Manning Colts the Bruins like the early Patriots

Reactions: BruinDust

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Toews $6m = 11% of Cap
Kane $6m = 11%
Hossa $ $5.3m = 9.3%

Mathews $11m+ = 14.6%
Tavares $11m = 13.8%
Marner $10.9m = 13.37%

Leafs traded
Sean Durzi
Carl Grundstom
1 (Tobias Bjornfot)

For Jake Muzzin UFA 2020

In what is considered a super strong draft they gave to 2020 1 to dump Marleau

They traded their best contract $ wise in Kadri with 3 years left for

Barrie 2020 UFA

They are all in

Reactions: Blowfish

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Leafs traded
Sean Durzi
Carl Grundstom
1 (Tobias Bjornfot)

For Jake Muzzin UFA 2020

In what is considered a super strong draft they gave to 2020 1 to dump Marleau

They traded their best contract $ wise in Kadri with 3 years left for

Barrie 2020 UFA

They are all in
They are. I see them active at the deadline

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.

Yup, I always picture the conversation between Babcock and Dubas last year going this way

Babcock: Dubas, we have no 2 way center,no grinders with skill, no shutdown defencemen, no backup goalie. All we have are damn offensive players!

Dubas: Hmmmmmmm, how about i add MOOORE offense :D(Barrie, Muzzin) and a washed out over the hill stay at home defencemen (Ceci). While we're at it why don't we trade away are "somewhat" only good 2-way center(Kadri)

Babcock: :help:

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Yup, I always picture the conversation between Babcock and Dubas last year going this way

Babcock: Dubas, we have no 2 way center,no grinders with skill, no shutdown defencemen, no backup goalie. All we have are damn offensive players!

Dubas: Hmmmmmmm, how about i add MOOORE offense :D(Barrie, Muzzin) and a washed out over the hill stay at home defencemen (Ceci). While we're at it why don't we trade away are "somewhat" only good 2-way center(Kadri)

Babcock: :help:

same situation in edmonton for the past 30 years... gretzky and messier and coffey could skate... lets get more guys who can skate

totally forgetting gretzky and messier and coffey didnt completely suck at hockey when they werent skating... in fact gretzky wasnt even an exceptional skater… he actually moved the puck very smartly in very quick ways

oilers have been trying to draft the fastest skater ever since... and most their picks cant play hockey well enough to even make it to the nhl… and the team is so weak it gets pushed around so they employ goons... but goons never make a team tougher. goons dont want to fight for a team that wont fight for itself

and if you tell the oilers they have a problem... or heaven forbid theres something in the water... its total head in the sand... and they say we need more speed

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
NHL Writer Believes Bruins 'Most Overhyped' Team Entering 2019-20 Season — NESN

I think we are, though I’ll admit, that it’s still early.

File under: droll

im sure someone will keep their job and be writing the same article next year again...
but im also sure it wont be any more accurate then

I do take quite a perverse little delight in watching Toronto fall to pieces. its going to take more than a coaching change to let them crawl into the playoffs

I dont know what I want more... see them just plain miss with montreal… or see us beat both teams in round 1 and 2 on our way to a cup win

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad