We’re the most over-hyped team. Aren’t we?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think if people are saying the Bruins are 'the' Cup favorite I would agree that's a bit of a stretch. They can win, and they have as good a chance as any, but I wouldn't say they're clearly better than Tampa, Toronto or Washington, and that's just the east.

The B's have a lot going for them... a fantastically mobile, puck moving defense. A lethal power play. The best 1st and 4th lines in hockey, and they're strong down the middle.

On the downside... they don't have a 3RW, we don't know what we're going to get from our 2RW, plus I think we're going to waste a lot of time trying to force round pegs into square holes here at the start of the season.

The game plan for every team playing Boston is going to be to shut down the Bergeron line, stay out of the box and try win the middle6 matchups. I don't think the B's will be able to kick it into overdrive until they get that middle group sorted out, either by trade or by call-up.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Unpopular opinion?

I don't think the Bruins are a cinch for the playoffs. And I'd be willing to make a small wager (as of today) that the Leafs will get further in the playoffs this year than the Bs.

I love the contracts our RFAS got. I think Sweeney did great work with them and they position well when some cap space opens up in a couple of years. Solid A+ for those.

Solid F for the job he did in "improving" the team otherwise. Nothing for healthy turnover. Not one significant addition. Couldn't (or wouldn't) move the cap anchor that is David Backes. And continued his annual barrel-bottom shopping for fourth- liners, also-rans and AHL fodder.

If the Bruins are in the Cup conversation, like in a serious consensus, then they are indeed over-hyped.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Ya,the writer needs to listen to TSN1050 Toronto and I guarantee you will change your mind in ten minutes.

If anyone is wondering who Joey Alfieri (the writer of this masterpiece) is, well let me tell you. Apart from being a part time writer for NBC he is a full time employee of TSN690 in Montreal. Joey, like almost every one working at that station is about as anti-Bruins as they get.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Unpopular opinion?

I don't think the Bruins are a cinch for the playoffs. And I'd be willing to make a small wager (as of today) that the Leafs will get further in the playoffs this year than the Bs.

I love the contracts our RFAS got. I think Sweeney did great work with them and they position well when some cap space opens up in a couple of years. Solid A+ for those.

Solid F for the job he did in "improving" the team otherwise. Nothing for healthy turnover. Not one significant addition. Couldn't (or wouldn't) move the cap anchor that is David Backes. And continued his annual barrel-bottom shopping for fourth- liners, also-rans and AHL fodder.

If the Bruins are in the Cup conversation, like in a serious consensus, then they are indeed over-hyped.

I hate to say it but the Leafs/B's rivalry reminds me of Chicago and Detroit a decade ago. Detroit owned the Hawks, the Wings were former champions and knew how to win, but once Chicago got over that hurdle they won 3 cups.

I hope I'm wrong and we keep the Leafs under our heel indefinitely but I thought they had a good summer, they were really aggressive.

I also agree with your point about Sweeney not doing enough this summer to improve the team or at least keep them where they were, that lack of activity was compounded by NOT promoting the best young player in camp. I expect that will get sorted out at some point and he will make an addition at the deadline but I think we're going to feel the loss of Johansson and will be frustrated watching them muddle through the options like Nordstrom (or similar) in the middle6 for weeks at a time.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I hate to say it but the Leafs/B's rivalry reminds me of Chicago and Detroit a decade ago. Detroit owned the Hawks, the Wings were former champions and knew how to win, but once Chicago got over that hurdle they won 3 cups.

I hope I'm wrong and we keep the Leafs under our heel indefinitely but I thought they had a good summer, they were really aggressive.

I also agree with your point about Sweeney not doing enough this summer to improve the team or at least keep them where they were, that lack of activity was compounded by NOT promoting the best young player in camp. I expect that will get sorted out at some point and he will make an addition at the deadline but I think we're going to feel the loss of Johansson and will be frustrated watching them muddle through the options like Nordstrom (or similar) in the middle6 for weeks at a time.
What was Sweeney supposed to do? We have a team that just went to game 7 in the final. The Leafs don't have shit on the Bruins.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
What was Sweeney supposed to do? We have a team that just went to game 7 in the final. The Leafs don't have **** on the Bruins.
I don't know what you mean here. ? The Leafs also took the Bruins to seven.

There have been countless conversations all summer long about what folks wanted to see. I didn't see one person suggest we sign Par Lindholm before it happened. But you make it sound like he had no other choice.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What was Sweeney supposed to do? We have a team that just went to game 7 in the final. The Leafs don't have **** on the Bruins.

1. Pay someone to take Backes.
2. Add a RW.

Like I said, I think the Bruins are good, but there was a hole on the team (2RW) when they lost in G7 and another hole was created when Mojo left. They haven’t done anything to address either one.

Maybe they’ll fill those holes from within, maybe they’ll fill them at the deadline, but I don’t think this team will look like a true contender until they do.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Unpopular opinion?

Wouldn’t surprise me, and the Panthers and Montreal will have improved too. The division is going to be tough.

I also expect Boston to spin its wheels at the outset, given the wear and tear on the players of the long season before this one, the nagging injuries to the team’s top two centers and the fact that the Bruins will have two anchors in the lineup (Ritchie and Backes), whom I expect to be largely useless.

Reactions: Spooner st

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I think that Bjork would be the perfect replacement, but it’s not to be because, as you say, the best young player in camp was not promoted.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Blues are, by far.

Everyone acts like they're favorites to repeat when they were lucky to get through the playoffs last year and still have questionable scoring beyond Tarasenko and ROR and have the most overrated goalie in the history of the NHL. They'll finish 4th in the Central at best.

Eagles Part 2

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Unpopular opinion?

The Bruins have to be in the Cup conversation - they came within a game of winning the thing last season and have 95% the same list, so how can they not be? They have to be in the mix as a contender. However having said that I think the range of possibilities for the Bs in terms of how their season pans out is wider than it is for some others. I can see them finishing top 2 in their division and top 3-4 in the league, but I also think it's quite feasible that they miss the playoffs altogether.

Just looking purely in the east, Tampa, the Caps and the Leafs are 99% certain to make it to the postseason. They simply have too much talent, young enough lists and solid coaching not to. Conversely the Bruins don't have the same amount of top-level talent as those teams, they have a heavy reliance on a number of guys who are 30+ and more prone to injury, and they have the added fatigue of a long postseason. To me that puts them in a category with probably the Islanders and Penguins as teams who should make it and could give the playoffs a major shake, but aren't guaranteed if injuries or other factors go against them. Then you have the likes of Carolina, Columbus, Buffalo, Florida and Montreal who to one degree or another all have a chance of making it, should they get their act together and things go their way.

For the Bs we know the 1st and 4th lines, our entire D and our goalies will almost certainly deliver as long as they stay fit. I think there are 3 other factors that are more uncertain, but which they have to get right or have some luck in, that will ultimately determine whether or not they make the playoffs - keeping the veterans healthy at least most of the time, getting good production out of at least one of the 2nd and 3rd lines, and making at least one or two smart trades again before the deadline. Tick those 3 boxes, and they should get there. Miss one and it starts to get hard, miss two or more and it could be all over by early April.

Just on the lack of movement in the off-season, it's pretty clear that the Bs management have for some time refused to countenance going 'all in' for immediate Cup success, and they really value the integrity of the playing group and keeping it as stable and cohesive as possible. They won't shake things up just in the expectation that it might make an improvement, and they won't mortgage the team's future in any significant way in chasing current glory. Obviously the no. 1 goal is more Cups, but not at any cost - it seems to me that there is a really high premium placed on keeping Boston constantly in the playoff mix for the foreseeable future by making sure that the good prospects are retained and we don't splash too much cash at the expense of the team's future depth and flexibility.

I guess I have mixed feelings on it - yeah you could say that if we'd pushed harder or been willing to give up more last year in our trading we could have the landed the 2RW or whatever we needed and have another Cup by now. But we could also still have lost plus have ended up with more bad Backes-type deals and a diminished prospect pool or squad depth, which would hurt both short and potentially medium-long term. It's a real balancing act.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins aren’t even close to being over-hyped.

That would be the generational Leafs

I see Boston not making playoffs in national polls

Bruins are a good team

105+ points/ 2-3 seed in their division behind Tampa and maybe Leafs if they are exceptionally healthy (doubtful)

They are balanced between O & D

They are a deep organization even though their prospects were ‘hyped’ to 29 not 31

80/20 rule Applies

20% think the Bruins are overhyped

Who wrote this ? Chris Johnson or Damien Cox

If NESN writer click bait and hooked a few fish

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Nothing would surprise me, including a DNQ.

They’re razor thin in some areas. Chalk it up to the reality of the cap world as well as some misses in the draft and free agency.

Say Krejci is hobbled out of the gate and is ineffective and possibly even shut down. They could really end up in a bad place relatively quickly.

Who saw them missing the playoffs in ‘15 after winning the Presidents’ Trophy the year before?

Better or worse, the league is less predictable than ever.

Reactions: BruinDust

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The cup favorite stuff is surprising me to be honest. I'm really worried about the longevity of Bergeron, Krejci and Chara going into the postseason. Under the assumption we make it there in the first place, etc.
Their best game was without Chara - game 4 vs Carolina

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Par for the course for those guys. Remember last summer after Tavares signed? They were planning the Cup parade :laugh:
I don't remember who, but someone from Sportsnet/590 the Fan said, it is the Leafs last shot at the cup with this core.
If they don't win it, they'll have to trade some of the core.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It could go either way, if we can stay healthy with key players, and manage to replace, slow and slower. Then we might have a chance.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Last year was the year,in my opinion. They got lucky with the matchups in the playoffs and Rask played like the second coming of Giguere 2003. Opportunity missed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just read the article

1. The author is Joey Alfireri

He’s good I’d recommend following him

2. He’s a Leafs guy from Ontario

Makes sense - they hate the Bruins

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Unpopular opinion?

Not sure the Bruins are “Cup favorites”, but I’m not seeing what you are.

Anything can happen, but I don’t see Boston missing the playoffs, unless they are hit with some major injuries to key guys. Once they get in, they are as dangerous as anybody. They have a ton of playoff experience, and a goalie that has proven he can elevate his game in the playoffs.

I firmly believe that in addition to wanting to win now, Sweeney has an eye on the future. Right or wrong, he was not willing to move Backes at the cost of a first round pick, plus a high end prospect (which likely would have been the cost based on Marleau’s deal).

It’s easy to poke fun at, but Sweeney's “bargain basement” shopping (Nash, Schaller, Nordstrom, Wagner, Lindholm?) has resulted in a dominant 4th line the last few seasons and they were a key component to the playoff run last year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This dynamic (one team owning another before being passed eventually) is pretty common in a lot of sports, but I am not sure it’s applicable here?

I see a huge difference between Chicago and a team like Toronto for a few reasons, but primarily because of one thing...money. Toews and Kane didn’t get their current huge deals until after they had won 2 Cups. The Leafs paid their players before they have done anything. Further, they overpaid them which will bring cap issues sooner rather than later, narrowing the Leafs window.

I would also say that Chicago was a much more well-rounded team than Toronto. They had a good mixture of puck movers and defensive guys on the back end, which the Leafs lack.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nothing would surprise me, including a DNQ.

They’re razor thin in some areas. Chalk it up to the reality of the cap world as well as some misses in the draft and free agency.

Say Krejci is hobbled out of the gate and is ineffective and possibly even shut down. They could really end up in a bad place relatively quickly.

Who saw them missing the playoffs in ‘15 after winning the Presidents’ Trophy the year before?

Better or worse, the league is less predictable than ever.

Me either. Two seasons ago we had 7 teams make the playoffs who didn't in 2016-17. That's almost half the bracket. Last year it was 5 new playoff teams. I think anywhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the 16 playoff teams being new participants each year is realistic. Very unpredictable.

Factor in the age of Boston's core. The short off-season. The fact that the Bruins went on a terrific regular season run post Jan.1 last year, and also had a huge run from mid-November to Feb. the previous season, and still didn't win the division. The margin for error here is razor thin IMO, regardless of how good the B's look on paper.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This dynamic (one team owning another before being passed eventually) is pretty common in a lot of sports, but I am not sure it’s applicable here?

I see a huge difference between Chicago and a team like Toronto for a few reasons, but primarily because of one thing...money. Toews and Kane didn’t get their current huge deals until after they had won 2 Cups. The Leafs paid their players before they have done anything. Further, they overpaid them which will bring cap issues sooner rather than later, narrowing the Leafs window.

I would also say that Chicago was a much more well-rounded team than Toronto. They had a good mixture of puck movers and defensive guys on the back end, which the Leafs lack.

The Hawks only won one cup with Toews/Kane on their ELCs. They were both making 6 million when they beat the Bruins in 2013, with a much lower salary cap.

The Leafs D when healthy is pretty underrated IMO. Rielly-Barrie-Muzzin-Sandin-Dermott-Ceci as a group is pretty solid. This Sandin kid from what I saw in pre-season looks like the real deal, solid and steady even if he's not a huge guy. Maybe not as well-rounded as the Hawks, but in 2019-20, I don't think they have to be.

Reactions: PlayMakers

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
NHL Writer Believes Bruins 'Most Overhyped' Team Entering 2019-20 Season — NESN

I think we are, though I’ll admit, that it’s still early.

File under: droll

Not sure this team is overhyped, think many if not most posters here think this team should be in the conversation come playoff time but only if they address a few needs as the season goes along.

DJ Bean isn`t over hyping in an equally silly story to be posting before the puck has dropped in game 1 of the year for the B`s

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/br...s-will-be-challenged-make-it-past-first-round

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
The Hawks only won one cup with Toews/Kane on their ELCs. They were both making 6 million when they beat the Bruins in 2013, with a much lower salary cap.

The Leafs D when healthy is pretty underrated IMO. Rielly-Barrie-Muzzin-Sandin-Dermott-Ceci as a group is pretty solid. This Sandin kid from what I saw in pre-season looks like the real deal, solid and steady even if he's not a huge guy. Maybe not as well-rounded as the Hawks, but in 2019-20, I don't think they have to be.

not sure this thread is the right place for this... but I find it very interesting toews has played 873 games in his career and has a career earnings of 91 million dollars

Bergeron has played 1028 games and career earnings of just 84 million... looks to me like we have saved around 20 million dollars on Bergeron or Chicago overpaid

and then you throw in kopitar with 97 million for 1003 games... 888 points compared to begeron with 813... is that really worth an extra 13 million dollars?

we knew we had quite a bargin in Bergeron... but it really is quite a bargain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad