Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Note to Oilers' fans. This episode is sponsored by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort. The ocean is a very large body of water.

Hopefully it’s very large. Need lots of space for tankers now that we’re tripling the amount of crude we’re dumping out the other end of TMX.

Hopefully none of it ends up in the Straight of Georgia, that would be really terrible.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
And the Oilers still ended up in 9th place.
A good lesson for the Oiler players and a few fans that the season is 82 games. Not half a season.
I thought the rest of your post was pretty balanced and fair.
A good lesson for Canucks fans is that teams don't maintain 12.5% shooting at 5v5.

Canucks had a very hot run, but the team has returned to normal shooting % in the last half of the season and the playoffs.

If your team is shooting abnormally high over the course of a season, expect it to end at some point.

Canucks haven't been the same team since the shooting % dried up obviously.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
It's always hilarious to me when Oilers fans and especially Avs fans (Colorado sports riots in 4 consecutive years when their teams WON the finals) chirp Canucks fans over riots.
Chirping the Canucks over riots is and always will be a classic.

Pretending like Edmonton and Vancouvers were comparable is insane so it’s best to not bring up riots at all.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Chirping the Canucks over riots is and always will be a classic.

Pretending like Edmonton and Vancouvers were comparable is insane so it’s best to not bring up riots at all.

I don't really care, a lot of fans get weirdly high and mighty about it as if their own fans wouldn't dare be anything other than upstanding citizens when they've rioted too.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I haven't been this excited about a hockey series as I am for this one in decades. Reason one is, although I am a Canuck fan I will be rooting for the Oilers (who I don't detest at all) should they win this. Reason two is the emergence of Arturs Silovs who I have followed for what seems like forever now and who I think is poised for a huge series. Dare I say Dryden-esque. Reason three is that I can't even begin to predict the outcome of this series there are so many possibilities. The Oilers have been mercurial all year, one game bad the next game amazing. Ditto their goaltending. If Silovs continues to shine and Teddy Blueger and co can keep the Oilers PP production to a dull roar the Canucks have a real chance. If Petey rejoins the human race it changes everything as would if the Oilers goaltending doesn't match up with the Canucks. I suspect there will be blowouts for both teams. Going to watch the series with a devout Oilers fan who lives nearby and is without sight and who wisely doesn't drink. I do (and will) and will almost certainly provide biased and slightly intoxicated additional PBP as I do with him sometimes. Might be a headache or two down the road...

Reactions: Duffalufagus

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I don't really care, a lot of fans get weirdly high and mighty about it as if their own fans wouldn't dare be anything other than upstanding citizens when they've rioted too.
Once again, not comparable situations but whatever justifies it in your head…

Royal Puck

Mar 6, 2015
I think this series will come down to power plays. If the Canucks can keep the Oilers on 5v5 they get the edge.

Every fan has blinders on when it comes to their team, but outside the oilers big 3 the canucks have a much better forward core and D.

Evander Kane will either be the best thing since sliced bread or complete trash. People forgetting this guy is one of the most bi-polar players in the league? Zadorov will smash him. Joshua will smash him.

I just find it hilarious people think this is a cake walk for the oilers… any single team that played Nashville would’ve had a low event series. Canucks grinded it out.

Now hopefully we don’t all have to stare at McPouts face constantly.. face of the league and the dude looks like someone who would’ve hung out in the cafeteria in high school with his tighty whighties stretched over his forehead.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
He gets mentioned in the same sentence because he was the best D in the league this year.
Maybe West coast games are past your bedtime or you had homework to do?
Now get back under your bridge.
No GM in the league is taking Hughes over Makar.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think this series will come down to power plays. If the Canucks can keep the Oilers on 5v5 they get the edge.

Every fan has blinders on when it comes to their team, but outside the oilers big 3 the canucks have a much better forward core and D.

Evander Kane will either be the best thing since sliced bread or complete trash. People forgetting this guy is one of the most bi-polar players in the league? Zadorov will smash him. Joshua will smash him.

I just find it hilarious people think this is a cake walk for the oilers… any single team that played Nashville would’ve had a low event series. Canucks grinded it out.

Now hopefully we don’t all have to stare at McPouts face constantly.. face of the league and the dude looks like someone who would’ve hung out in the cafeteria in high school with his tighty whighties stretched over his forehead.

Posts like this are my favorite to read. Laughed throughout.

Reactions: soothsayer

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016

Yawn

Reactions: Kerberos

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
There is one and ONLY one wild card. Vancouver's goalie situation and if Demko does not come back

But you do take Hughes over Nurse or Ekholm
Demko can't even take a shot in practice yet, he's not coming back. Nor is DeSmith, unless Silovs suddenly turns into the "3rd string inexperienced AHL backup" that way too many people who should know better (including Kevin freakin' Bieksa!) have been calling him. This guy is no greenhorn and has seen real pressure. I'm betting he remains tough to beat and his fate largely lies in the hands of his teammates.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

I think the depth is actually remarkably similar when you look at the numbers.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Demko can't even take a shot in practice yet, he's not coming back. Nor is DeSmith, unless Silovs suddenly turns into the "3rd string inexperienced AHL backup" that way too many people who should know better (including Kevin freakin' Bieksa!) have been calling him. This guy is no greenhorn and has seen real pressure. I'm betting he remains tough to beat and his fate largely lies in the hands of his teammates.
Yeah, exactly. I get that nobody follows our team as closely as us homers do...

But Silovs is a highly skilled, bizarrely flexible, 6'4 goaltending prospect who was hand-selected and trained by the goalie guru Ian Clark. He is raw, but he is good.

Could things fall a part for him? Absolutely. But not every team has a Silovs tbh.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Yeah, exactly. I get that nobody follows our team as closely as us homers do...

But Silovs is a highly skilled, bizarrely flexible, 6'4 goaltending prospect who was hand-selected and trained by the goalie guru Ian Clark. He is raw, but he is good.

Could things fall a part for him? Absolutely. But not every team has a Silovs tbh.
It sure seems to me that there is a legion of Canuck fans who are waiting for Silovs to slip up so that their man Demko can regain his goalie crown for the Canucks no matter how well he's recovered from his injury. If the team gives up on Silovs after one stinker they are toast because none of their other goalies are going to cut it against this offense.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011

Something we can all agree on.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A good lesson for Canucks fans is that teams don't maintain 12.5% shooting at 5v5.

Canucks had a very hot run, but the team has returned to normal shooting % in the last half of the season and the playoffs.

If your team is shooting abnormally high over the course of a season, expect it to end at some point.

Canucks haven't been the same team since the shooting % dried up obviously.

Canucks haven’t been the same team, no, but the 5v5 shooting percentage regressing has coincided with a greater focus on the defensive game and a better overall possession team. Since February the Canucks were 4th in the league in 5v5 xGF% mainly due to the 2nd fewest xGA in the league in that time frame.

The Oilers outscored the Canucks by a good amount, but the Canucks also gave up less than the Oilers by a lesser but still fair amount, and not just because of goaltending. Not saying you have necessarily but I think too many have focused on the shooting percentage and haven’t realized they’ve still been playing strong hockey for the most part 5v5. Oilers have been the better 5v5 team the back half of the year, but the difference isn’t huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad