Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
An actual NHL ref: “I can’t explain that one. That is the worse call of the entire playoffs.”

Oilers fans: “That is the most obvious charge we have ever seen.”
They don’t understand the difference between leaving your feet to jump into a hit and bracing for a hit. Pettersson didn’t “jump into” a hit, that’s where people don’t understand the rule

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Is this satire or do you believe rule 42.1 says that? Because it doesn't.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

The jumping ONLY applies if the jump creates momentum that makes the hit violent. It fully relates to movement or distance traveled.

The call on the ice is unequivocally wrong. There is no way to read that and say a stationary player can commit charging, as the rule clearly refers to movement at every point. They could've maybe called elbowing if they really wanted to make a call, but charging isn't it.

If the ref believed jumping up with your back facing the player is charging then they shouldn't be reffing. It's OK for fans to not know the rulebook but for a ref that's literally their one job.

I think your interpretation is wrong personally. The rule states a penalty will be called if a player skates OR jumps OR charges into a player. The second sentence you put in bold is only defining what a charge is but a penalty is given if a player jumps OR charges into a player.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I think your interpretation is wrong personally. The rule states a penalty will be called if a player skates OR jumps OR charges into a player. The second sentence you put in bold is only defining what a charge is but a penalty is given if a player jumps OR charges into a player.
So you think the word "into" is there for no reason and the strict definition of what a charge is including distance traveled into a violent hit is irrelevant to the jump into?

You cannot jump into someone by jumping straight up, unless the person is falling from the sky towards you. I would 100% agree with you if Foegele was falling from the sky or hanging from the rafters. Then it's a dangerous play where Petey jumped at him for sure.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

It says jumps into or charges. If you change the wording, it changes the meaning.

Lawyers wrote that stuff up, so go by the words.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
three incidents all going against Van, Soucy, Zadorov, McD and Hyman. Zad - fined, Soucy suspended, McD nothing meh but Hyman? Charging with this stick at Zaforov's face reportedly drawing blood? Nada?
Kane, cross check to Myers face, drawing blood, 2 minutes? Rules state 5 minute and game misconduct. Nope 4 minutes for a high stick, a new designation for cross check to mouth I guess and Kane later instrumental in winning that game.
And then this farce. The world knows how lethal the Oiler PP is so lets give out a charging penalty to a stationary player bracing himself for a charging opponent and then not call that right either because charging causing injury is a also a 5 minute penalty, which can be reviewed, but ignore the blood so no 5 minute review.

Tocchet is starting to look like he has a sunburn sometimes on the bench. A volcano getting ready to erupt.

Was McD tripped? Quite possibly but when has he ever done a swan dive with one?

I think Zadorov's hit on Dras damaged him, almost invisible afterwards, not the same.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Exactly it says OR not AND. To me that means it can be either or and a penalty can be given if only a jump occurs and not a jump and a charge.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

At what point did Pettersson jump INTO or travel any distance but vertical?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So you think the word "into" is there for no reason and the strict definition of what a charge is including distance traveled into a violent hit is irrelevant to the jump into?

You cannot jump into someone by jumping straight up, unless the person is falling from the sky towards you. I would 100% agree with you if Foegele was falling from the sky or hanging from the rafters. Then it's a dangerous play where Petey jumped at him for sure.
Did both of Petey's skates even leave the ice PRIOR to contact? Nope.
They should just penalized a goal post next.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

At what point did Pettersson jump INTO or travel any distance but vertical?

When I see the video I do see EP carrying some momentum into Foegle so there must be some movement in that direction. How else would have Foegle taken more of the impact if EP just simply jumped straight up? He's not a brick wall.

Doesn't matter now. I think anyone watching that game was dumbfounded at the penalty for jump straight up. One for the all-time hall of shame on refs.

Oh ya it's horrible call to make in a game like that in the playoffs too.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I kinda want this series over because the ref whining on both sides has completely ruined any enjoyment I’ve had for this series.

Y’all need to grow up or find Jesus or something.

What are you insinuating?
likely the big dive

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
I disagree entirely based on the bolded. The only problem with the play was that he left his feet to initiate the reverse hit. Had he stayed planted, then there’s no call or debate, imo. The only thing Pete does wrong is leave his feet to initiate the reverse hit. That, and his weight has no bearing on wheather the play is legal so 180 means nothing.
IMG_7838.jpeg

Former NHL ref cheering for Edmonton

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
You realize by your definition every hit in the NHL is a charge right?

Reactions: bdub24

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Vancouver is simply a deeper and better overall team , nothing to see here.

Oil can still win it though , McDavid and Drai will need to go 3ppg/game for that probably.

Meanwhile Petterson can sleep through the entire series and his team might win it , shows the difference in depth on both clubs.

JT Miller has that dog in him that's for sure

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Haven't read the thread but I'll assume @Brookbank has diligently reminded everyone that despite the Canucks dominating the Oilers, they were barely able to edge them off a last-minute goal.

Right, Brooksie?

Sounds identical to game 4.

At the end of the day, the Oilers lost. Everything else is irrelevant. Give full credit to the Canucks. Their best players were their best players. Oilers best players were their worst. So much for the Oilers running away with this series. They are on the cusp of being eliminated from the playoffs, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad