Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
We fundamentally disagree, I see the problem as a player leaving their feet, not the other player finishing their check legally.

That's fair we do fundamentally disagree. I just don't think its a charging penalty. And I also think Foegele getting blown up was more a result of Foegele not expecting contact back.

Like if he's going into that thinking Pettersson is going to make that play, there's no chance he gets blown up. But he doesn't & the result is what it is. I don't think it means Petterssons play was a charge.

We can A2D. Its an interesting conversation, I respect your view.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

McDavid made it pretty obvious he dove.

I was unaware we were discussing McDavid, but that play is consistent with the entire series, for both teams. It was a clear penalty first, which they have called all series long. These kinds of plays have gone just as much in Vancouver's favor as they have Edmonton's, seems weird to make such a big deal out of it.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
It feelt like the Pettersson call was a make up call after Kane was called for something weak.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
That's fair we do fundamentally disagree. I just don't think its a charging penalty. And I also think Foegele getting blown up was more a result of Foegele not expecting contact back.

Like if he's going into that thinking Pettersson is going to make that play, there's no chance he gets blown up. But he doesn't & the result is what it is. I don't think it means Petterssons play was a charge.

I too respect yours! it’s nice to have constructive debate and it’s definitely not black and white so there is no right or wrong imo, just views. For the record I would want my guy to do the same thing for the most part, I grew up watching forsberg throw reverse hits for years and I miss it like hell.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I too respect yours! it’s nice to have constructive debate and it’s definitely not black and white so there is no right or wrong imo, just views. For the record I would want my guy to do the same thing for the most part, I grew up watching forsberg throw reverse hits for years and I miss it like hell.

What a beast Forsberg was. Speaking of that era its still a bit strange sometimes seeing Adam Foote on our bench hahaha from hated rival & now he's on our side, but doing a great job.

Interesting how times change. Cheers

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It feelt like the Pettersson call was a make up call after Kane was called for something weak.

I think as fans we sometimes have a preconceived notion that the penalty calls have to be even for each team, and then in a game like tonight where Vancouver took 2 very early, but pretty obvious penalties, everyone is just waiting for them to even them out instead of just calling the game. The officials are human too, and I think it often creeps into the back of their mind as well. You almost never see the team leading late in a game go on the powerplay.

Game 3 and 4 had the best balance from the officiating team in my opinion, and that was mostly on the players for being disciplined.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Kiekura

Oct 6, 2013

Forget the slow mow the real time in this clip if you are in Petterssons skates what do you do with Foegle coming at you to finish his check?

Even Craig Simpson the pro Oiler pbp guy is like wtf lol

Edit: Keep in mind Pettersson also got crushed by Nurse in this series it looked brutal and not called. What is the guy supposed to do?

Charging is when a player:

1. Jumps to check an opponent.

Pretty simple. Dont jump and there is no call. I seriously dont get why people bitch about this. Pretty easy call to make for ref

madrigal77

Feb 16, 2023
the Canucks have a Demko return on the horizon and Petey just woke up.

ruh roh
Well to be honest other than game 2, Silovs has been great. Goaltending has not been an issue for the Canucks. It’s been Petterson being a virtual no show until now. If he can keep playing like this last game, the Canucks are in good shape.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Forget the slow mow the real time in this clip if you are in Petterssons skates what do you do with Foegle coming at you to finish his check?

Edit: Keep in mind Pettersson also got crushed by Nurse in this series it looked brutal and not called. What is the guy supposed to do?

The jumping motion, no?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This Vancouver team is resilient as hell.

I want Oilers to win and also picked them to win - and I'll stick to that, and predict they come back and win in 7 off the back of Drai and McDavid.

But as a neutral fan - I also like Vancouver a lot, and they've been really fun to watch. Most people seemed to favor the winner of Colorado/Dallas in the west - I'm the opposite, I think whoever wins here goes to the finals, and wins the cup.

Here's a fun one - if Demko is healthy and able to play starting tomorrow. Who do you start?

Reactions: theguardianII

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

I want Oilers to win and also picked them to win - and I'll stick to that, and predict they come back and win in 7 off the back of Drai and McDavid.

But as a neutral fan - I also like Vancouver a lot, and they've been really fun to watch. Most people seemed to favor the winner of Colorado/Dallas in the west - I'm the opposite, I think whoever wins here goes to the finals, and wins the cup.

Here's a fun one - if Demko is healthy and able to play starting tomorrow. Who do you start?
You have to play Silovs til he falters. Maybe put Demko as the backup. But even if Nucks win next game I think Silovs starts game 1 of WCF if he's played this way. Longer rest, more practice etc. Him getting reinjured when you have a kid playing well would be a mistake.

If they lose in game 6 and goaltending is any part of the narrative then Demko plays 7 though

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

The refs had an off night. Right!

Just for a little more clarification, I think the NHL rushed their paid media explanation way to quickly.

The words in the rule state "jump into" NOT "jump" NOT "Jump up","Jump into" meaning motion towards the other player.

This call sets a precedent and now ALL players bracing themselves are now subject to a "charging" penalty.

In minor hockey this isn't called.

The NHL rule book reads like a legal document, there are few gray areas. This is not a gray area. The rule stipulates motion by the offending player. "Into" does not mean standing still.

The league did not have any issue with suspending Soucy after the game so why wasn't Kane for his deliberate cross check to the face of Myers that drew blood and again was witnessed by the entire viewing audience and those in attendance? Why have two ref's if they won't consult? There are 4 game managers on the ice every game.

This may be what Bettman's NHL calls;
"Game Management" not refereeing.

Time to have a league official around to explain these things and not have coaches and players getting fines or fired by trying to.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

You have to play Silovs til he falters. Maybe put Demko as the backup. But even if Nucks win next game I think Silovs starts game 1 of WCF if he's played this way. Longer rest, more practice etc. Him getting reinjured when you have a kid playing well would be a mistake.

If they lose in game 6 and goaltending is any part of the narrative then Demko plays 7 though
Demko will sit until the team is on the brink of elimination. He only has so many games left before his hip is serious enough to be need surgery immediately. My guess.

First step to Demko playing will be as a back up IMO.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Bouchard has to be one of the worst D men in his own zone in recent memory.

No idea how Edmonton's D went from poor to the bottom of the league in the last 10 years. Filled with hapless hot garbage in their own end like Ceci, Nurse, and Bouchard.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
This is a weird series. The Oilers have generated most of the shots and chances, yet Vancouver has somehow been the better team. The Canucks look more poised and also look, frankly, like they want it more.

As an Oiler fan (since the mid-80s), I have enjoyed the club this year, but I haven't enjoyed them as much as during 2020 to 2023. This year, I dunno, but something feels a bit off. McDavid and Kane can't shoot the puck anymore after injuries. Ceci is regressing lately. The boat-anchor of Nurse(s contract is becoming tiresome. Skinner promising a lot and choking in the playoffs is becoming tiresome. The complete disappearance of the third and fourth lines in the playoffs is becoming tiresome.

To put it another way, while I felt the club was generally improving up to last year, I sort of feel like they're starting to regress now. (My feeling is not helped by the presence of the corpses of Derek Ryan and Corey Perry.)

Canucks are looking good. If Petterson can get going, they may be a contender.

(Note to some Canuck fans on this thread, though -- you might want to wait until the series is over before you start crowing.)

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Charging is when a player:

1. Jumps to check an opponent.

Pretty simple. Dont jump and there is no call. I seriously dont get why people bitch about this. Pretty easy call to make for ref

Is this satire or do you believe rule 42.1 says that? Because it doesn't.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

The jumping ONLY applies if the jump creates momentum that makes the hit violent. It fully relates to movement or distance traveled.

The call on the ice is unequivocally wrong. There is no way to read that and say a stationary player can commit charging, as the rule clearly refers to movement at every point. They could've maybe called elbowing if they really wanted to make a call, but charging isn't it.

If the ref believed jumping up with your back facing the player is charging then they shouldn't be reffing. It's OK for fans to not know the rulebook but for a ref that's literally their one job.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Imagine a league representative have to answer questionable calls/non calls?

Holding people accountable? Lol
It would take them all of 30 minutes at most. But it might be enlightening to see how far game management goes.
A possible question;
"Were the officials told to watch out for ***** player because *****"
Target acquired.
"Watch out for ****" or "We are clamping down on hitting so call ****"
Target locked on.
"keep games under 2 1/2 hours so networks *****"
Target eliminated.

I am sure the concept of having all the officials call the same way but they aren't anyway. Are they ever chastised for blatant errors?

Conspiracy Theory?
Vancouver is the only team to prove a ref was intentionally throwing a game, is there payback for that?

Is this satire or do you believe rule 42.1 says that? Because it doesn't.

42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner.
Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.

The jumping ONLY applies if the jump creates momentum that makes the hit violent. It fully relates to movement or distance traveled.

The call on the ice is unequivocally wrong. There is no way to read that and say a stationary player can commit charging, as the rule clearly refers to movement at every point. They could've maybe called elbowing if they really wanted to make a call, but charging isn't it.

If the ref believed jumping up with your back facing the player is charging then they shouldn't be reffing. It's OK for fans to not know the rulebook but for a ref that's literally their one job.
You are very correct. That is why they have other penalties that cover those other possibilities.

Those refs should not game manage another game in the playoffs. They couldn't work together to get it right. They can use replays for blood injuries, or possible head shots

CaptainUgly

Bronx Bombers
Apr 22, 2018

If he's 100% healthy you start Demko. It doesn't matter what Silvos has done to this point the net is Demko's. If Demko is backing up Silvos, it's very telling for where his recovery is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad