Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Canucks in the driver's seat, but it ain't over yet (some Canucks' fans here seem unaware that it's not a best out of three).

I will say this: We haven't seen the Oilers play their best yet in the series. In fact, the Oilers kind of limped into the playoffs and only played well vs. Los Angeles in about two of the five games. And I don't think they've been great in any of the three games this series. There were moments in game two when they were great (the third period, mainly), but otherwise it's been a very poorly-played series by Edmonton so far.

As we saw a few times in the regular season, the Oilers are capable of suddenly going on a heater and winning 8 or 16 in a row. But they're sort of in the doldrums right now, not helped by Skinner's reversion to very poor goaltending after his quite-strong regular season.

Despite what some here seem to think, Edmonton is actually a decent defensive club. From mid-November to the end of the regular season, the Oilers were the #1 team in the NHL, and their team-defence was sixth-best (one place above Vancouver, which was also quite good). The Canucks have created relatively few high-danger scoring chances in the series, and have put only 61 shots on net, or an average of about 19 per 60-minutes. Given this, you would think the Oilers would up be 2-1 right now, not down 2-1, but the combination of bad goaltending and random brain-farts (see: Foegele in game three) have done the damage.

All of this is to say that if Edmonton finally brings its 'A' game in game four, the series will be tied 2-2. And at any point, the series can turn because Edmonton is capable of going on a massive heater.

From Vancouver's perspective, I feel like we've basically seen what they can do. They've played well -- probably about as well as can be expected.

In short, the Canucks are in command and should win the series from here, but if the Oilers bring that 'A' game in game four and tie the series, absolutely anything can happen.
The oilers had a not so great record against playoff teams, Vancouver was near the top and we have not seen anything near our best and likely won't until Demko is back because they play a much more open game with him.

The oilers go as far as Mcdrai , even the new coach has accepted it, you should too.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Canucks in the driver's seat, but it ain't over yet (some Canucks' fans here seem unaware that it's not a best out of three).

I will say this: We haven't seen the Oilers play their best yet in the series. In fact, the Oilers kind of limped into the playoffs and only played well vs. Los Angeles in about two of the five games. And I don't think they've been great in any of the three games this series. There were moments in game two when they were great (the third period, mainly), but otherwise it's been a very poorly-played series by Edmonton so far.

As we saw a few times in the regular season, the Oilers are capable of suddenly going on a heater and winning 8 or 16 in a row. But they're sort of in the doldrums right now, not helped by Skinner's reversion to very poor goaltending after his quite-strong regular season.

Despite what some here seem to think, Edmonton is actually a decent defensive club. From mid-November to the end of the regular season, the Oilers were the #1 team in the NHL, and their team-defence was sixth-best (one place above Vancouver, which was also quite good). The Canucks have created relatively few high-danger scoring chances in the series, and have put only 61 shots on net, or an average of about 19 per 60-minutes. Given this, you would think the Oilers would up be 2-1 right now, not down 2-1, but the combination of bad goaltending and random brain-farts (see: Foegele in game three) have done the damage.

All of this is to say that if Edmonton finally brings its 'A' game in game four, the series will be tied 2-2. And at any point, the series can turn because Edmonton is capable of going on a massive heater.

From Vancouver's perspective, I feel like we've basically seen what they can do. They've played well -- probably about as well as can be expected.

In short, the Canucks are in command and should win the series from here, but if the Oilers bring that 'A' game in game four and tie the series, absolutely anything can happen.

That's a lot to say that the only reason the Oilers are competitive are Coles 5 points to lead all Oilers Dmen in the series.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Lindholm and Miller have been doing a helluva job neutrallizing McDavid and Draisittle. Not every team can do that.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
That's a lot to say that the only reason the Oilers are competitive are Coles 5 points to lead all Oilers Dmen in the series.

Out of curiousity I looked up to see who had the most goals against on the ice so far, and Nurse and Ceci are at 6 even strength goals against, Cole has been on for 4 even strength and 2 PP, however... Makar has been on the ice for 9 total goals against so far to lead all D-men by far.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Good post but you are wrong on one thing. Canucks haven’t played their best. Not even close. If both teams bring their A games then it’s a coin flip.
Nah this is peak vancouver right now. Everyone is playing at their best, don't let anyone tell you otherwise my good man!

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I assume Oiler Fans are aware that Carson Soucey actually hails from Viking, Alberta, established in 2009 by settlers Sivert Hafso and Ole Sorenson, from Norway.

Summers are warm with moderate rainfall while winters are long and bitterly cold.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am confused about Pickard.

When was he brought into game 3? After one of the goals, or at the end when McCraibaby were playing five minutes straight?

Because if Pickers was brought iin at the end, it was only to give them another timeout to rest, which is not the same as giving Skinner the hook.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I am confused about Pickard.

When was he brought into game 3? After one of the goals, or at the end when McCraibaby were playing five minutes straight?

Because if Pickers was brought iin at the end, it was only to give them another timeout to rest, which is not the same as giving Skinner the hook.
Pickard began the third period. It was a performance pull in a few ways.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I assume Oiler Fans are aware that Carson Soucey actually hails from Viking, Alberta, established in 2009 by settlers Sivert Hafso and Ole Sorenson, from Norway.

Summers are warm with moderate rainfall while winters are long and bitterly cold.
2009, or 1909?

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
What was their record against playoff teams?

(I should add: "after Novemeber 15th". Before that, the whole season was a trainwreck...)

Of the teams remaining:

1-0-1 against Boston
1-1 against Carolina
1-1-1 against Colorado
1-2 against Dallas
0-2 against Florida
1-1 against NYR
0-4 against Vancouver

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Canuck fans, serious question: Is it realistic to think Demko can come back this series? I've seen reports he may get back for Game 5 or 6. Likely or unlikely?

Not a nucks fan but i do think they are better off sitting him the entire series (if not the playoffs) not to aggravate his injury.

From what i've seen most of the vancouver fanbase see pretty much everything after the nashville series as bonus content. If you guys manage to turn Demko into a borderline LTIR-retiree you will hate yourself for it.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

Best part about tweet like this is that the oilers have no answer to it

Canucks are bigger and stronger

What is Kane or Perry gonna do when Zadorov, Myers, Joshua, Juulsen and even Cole are on the ice?:laugh:

Darnel Nurse? He lost a fight to Bo Horvat :laugh:

In my book someone from the oilers should square up and drop the gloves, not go around looking for cheapshots on players that had nothing to do with the incident in the first place.

Kane and Zadrov have been at each other both previous games so why not make it a 2-for-1?

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Nah this is peak vancouver right now. Everyone is playing at their best, don't let anyone tell you otherwise my good man!
EP40 still has to get his offensive game going, same with Hogs. We have a few more gears before we have peak Canucks. Edmonton fans are in for a long Spring and Summer.

Reactions: Summer Rose

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Of the teams remaining:

1-0-1 against Boston
1-1 against Carolina
1-1-1 against Colorado
1-2 against Dallas
0-2 against Florida
1-1 against NYR
0-4 against Vancouver
So they only have a winning record (above .500) against one team remaining. Not great.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Not having your best offensive forward playing well and your Vezina candidate goalie playing at all IS a handicap. The Canucks are a different team with a healthy Demko in net.

Yeah uhh... during Edmonton's win streak they only gained 3 points on the Nucks. The Nucks also went on heaters during the season then slowed off a lot right after the All Star and in April. Canucks have a lot more to bring than they have.

As for shots, they outshot and outchanced EDM 5 on 5 until they had the 4 goals then let up. Score effects are a huge reason why the Nucks don't get a lot of shots in these games. Despite peppering the net, Edmonton had 1 high danger chance 5 on 5 in the third til the last 4 mins. Shots as a stat alone don't mean a whole lot. Nucks would've kept shooting if they didn't get an easy lead. Oilers wouldn't have taken every outside shot without a screen for half the game if they weren't behind the whole time. Canucks routinely come out hard, build leads then prevent high danger chances and win with few overall shots in the end. They've done it all year.

Nashville was really the first time the shots were low because the Nucks actually couldn't execute and get high danger shots because of all the shot blocking and hardnosed defense. In that series, the low shots wasn't because Nucks held back but because they were being held back by a teams D.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
In my book someone from the oilers should square up and drop the gloves, not go around looking for cheapshots on players that had nothing to do with the incident in the first place.

Kane and Zadrov have been at each other both previous games so why not make it a 2-for-1?
Not joking or bantz, but I honestly think that's the worst thing that could happen for the Oilers if they want to win the series.

The time to respond was when the incident actually happened. It's actually pretty bad that no one stepped up for McDavid -- their best player and captain.

McDavid and Draisatl need to step up and their depth players need to f***ing do something. Perry could start agitating and being the little shitlord he's always been. Nuge could try doing something. Etc.

They try to go headhunting (I know this isn't what you said) or seeking revenge and that's gonna kill any momentum they could get through penalties. Guaranteed the league has spoken to both teams to tell them not to be idiots and the refs are liable to turn on them if they try to get things out of hand.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
From what i've seen most of the vancouver fanbase see pretty much everything after the nashville series as bonus content.

Before the season started, most fans hoped to get a wild card spot. To be honest, everything from post deadline seemed to be bonus content for me, because playoffs was basically secured. But the team decided to put up a top 3 all time record in team history in points.

Nashville was a great draw, had we gotten Vegas or LA, it would have been a bummer, but Preds were a very good match up for us. Unfortunately, Demko went down to make the series an insanely interesting series, so for even die hards who expected playoffs, everything after game 1 should be bonus content.

Now we have the Oilers, a huge rival that somehow we have only seen twice in the playoffs ever, and first time since 92, which has skipped many cores of both teams.

And the Canucks won a division title before the BEST PLAYER IN NHL LED OILERS???? Canucks are exposing the Oilers as a one line team that can barely score on a rookie goalie that has a team defense in front of him?

We have not only playing with house money, we are just enjoying the run. At this point, I am enjoying the Oilers lose more than the Canucks win.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

In my books it should be Hyman against Zadorov....

Reactions: I am toxic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad