GDT: WCSF: Game 4 - Edmonton Oilers vs Vancouver Canucks, 7:30pm, ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Oilers coach has not even played in the minor leagues, his coaching record mostly consists of junior leagues, Canucks coach has an NHL career that has 952pts and 2972 PIMs in 1144 GP, with one Cup as a player and two as Assistant Coach.

I think those sort of reflect their coaching philosophies. One has been in the trenches, and one hasn't.

Have you actually looked at Tocchets record as a Head Coach though? It's not flattering. This is his 2nd playoff appearance in his 8th season as a head coach. His other appearance was in the covid shortened season where his team was 11th in the conference but got in because they had the play ins. He's obviously learned from his prior experience, but he's not some coaching savant either.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Have you actually looked at Tocchets record as a Head Coach though? It's not flattering. This is his 2nd playoff appearance in his 8th season as a head coach. His other appearance was in the covid shortened season where his team was 11th in the conference but got in because they had the play ins. He's obviously learned from his prior experience, but he's not some coaching savant either.
He’s obviously matured as a coach. Look at the pre season predictions for the Canucks and the fact that they’re winning without their top goalie. He has total buy in and even benched Miller and Joshua when they played poorly at the start of the season.
He’s got them playing as team and standing up for each other.
Foote and Gonchar and the rest of the staff also deserve a lot of credit.
I think Edmontons coach has done a good job in his first year as well.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010

Different teams, different players.
NHL coaching isn't about what you have done historically, it's about what you have done lately.

Canucks under Tocchet.
118 GP. 70W-23L-9OTL in Regular season.
9 GP. 6-2-1 in Playoffs.

Aug 3, 2021
2 things that are for certain, McDavid leaving the oiler after this contract and the oil "only needing league average goaltending" to win this hockey game.
hear, hear

clapping-icegif-24.gif

Reactions: Summer Rose

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Their game plan is to play McDrai 30 minutes, score on the PP, shelter the Ceci-Nurse pairing who are a combined minus 14 and have the bottom six skate around for a few minutes to give McDrai a rest.
The result will depend entirely on whether McDrai are able to dominate enough to offset the depth advantage that Vancouver has. They did in game 2 but not in games 1 and 3.
the oilers drastically need nuge/kane and whatever winger they put there to score (hopefully holloway). which in the back half of the season they had sucess with, if they dont i kind of agree with your assessment

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Been a close series so far.
This indeed is bold.
I agree, it has been very close. Trying to make a ballsier prediction rather than playing it safe with a 4-3 prediction lol

Zach Hinelicker should not be playing an NHL hockey game tonight.
Who the hell is that?

edit: Oh, it's Hyman lol. I thought there was some random call-up with a weird ass name I knew nothing about 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

He was coaching the Coyotes and probably got more out of that team than most coaches could.
He's won 2 cups as an assistant coach; and is the frontrunner to win the Jack Adams this year.

He has completely changed the culture and identity of the Canucks in a positive way. He is getting full buy-in from his players and is currently one of the best coaches in the league. No one said he's a coaching savant but to deny where he is at in his career right now would be argumentative.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Hope I'm wrong, but I think the Oilers take it tonight. Too many factors leaning in their favor. Backs against the wall, fresh goalie and refs likely trying to cool off a series that just got a bunch of media attention for a suspension. Probably a lot more penalties tonight compared to the previous games and the Oilers pp is deadly.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Hope I'm wrong, but I think the Oilers take it tonight. Too many factors leaning in their favor. Backs against the wall, fresh goalie and refs likely trying to cool off a series that just got a bunch of media attention for a suspension. Probably a lot more penalties tonight compared to the previous games and the Oilers pp is deadly.
They should be more the desperate team. We’ll see. I’m just glad it’s not the Canucks who are down 1-2.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
A lot seems to be tipping in the Oilers direction for a win tonight. They will be desperate, Soucy is out, but most importantly I don't doubt that the refs are going to call this tight to prevent it from getting out of hand after last game. This to me equals lots of special teams play which won't work in the Canucks favour. If McDrai have to play 40 minutes instead of just 30 tonight I have no doubt they will. The mental change in goaltending will probably be a boost too, not like Pickard is going to shut out us or anything though.

Anyways, I'm prepared for bad results tonight but I am still confident that coming home 2-2 after McDrai have had the wheels played off of them works well in our favour overall.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
I'm super jealous of Canucks goaltending situation for almost the last 20 years.
Luongo, Schneider, Miller, Markstrom, Demko.
Pretty crazy.

Let me show you what the powerhouse Oilers had in the same period of time

Garon, Deslauriers, Khabibulin, Dubnyk, Scrivens, Bryz, Fasth, Talbot, Brossoit, Gustavsson, Smith, Koskinen, Skinner.

We are basically the Coyotoes goalie dumping ground.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I'm super jealous of Canucks goaltending situation for almost the last 20 years.
Pretty crazy.

Garon, Deslauriers, Khabibulin, Dubnyk, Scrivens, Bryz, Fasth, Talbot, Brossoit, Gustavsson, Smith, Koskinen, Skinner.

Ian Clark is a wizard. Even before him we had Rollie Melanson and Benoit Allaire, who are amazing too.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Pretty crazy.

Kinda weird to omit arguably the best goalie you had with Roloson.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He is 70-35-13 since taking over the Canucks. That's a real solid record over a reasonable sample size, especially considering where the team was for the last decade before he took over. Tocchet is a nice fit for the Canucks roster. He has the type of players he needs to play in his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad