Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Whether he comes back for a game 7 or the WCF, that’s a big blow for them. He looked off the whole Vegas series as well. He’s likely to struggle with effectiveness when he returns
The play when he went down, that shot from Walker wasn't even hard. More than likely, he re-aggravated something.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Posting here because the live replies in the game thread keep distracting me.

We didn't have a single great game in the Dallas series. Gotta be at your best in the playoffs.
I don't think the offense, the defense, the goalkeeping, or the coaching were "the problem".
And absolutely no need to blow it all up.

Forward depth was the biggest issue. We lost one guy to cocaine and had to play old man Parise in the top six, that's a problem. Our 4th liners were viabilities: Cogs/Duhaime/Wagner only got 8 mins in a double OT game. I think this run showed that we really won't be able to keep Rantanen long term, even if he were to perform at his peak. The cap hit at 14M will wreck our depth. Whether to move on now or a year later is up to what players might be available.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Dallas game 6:
Dallas game 5: 1g 1a (on the PP)
Seattle game 7: 1a (on the PP)
Seattle game 6:
Vegas game 6: 2a (one on the PP)
Dallas game 7:
Dallas game 6: 1g 1a (Eng)
Dallas game 5: 1g 1a
Sharks game 7:
Sharks game 6:
Nashville game 6: 1a
11 games facing elimination. 10 points which is already bad. But only 6 points at 5 on 5. And the most damning is 5 pointless games when facing elimination. It's almost a coin flip if MacK will even show up when the season is on the line.

Not good enough for a superstar.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Most of MacKinnon's poor elimination game stats can be blamed on Matt Duchene.

Seattle game 7: MacKinnon scores the game tying goal, only for it to be overturned on a coach's challenge due to a missed offside call. Avs lose 2-1.

San Jose game 7: MacKinnon sets up the game tying goal, only for it to be overturned on a coach's challenge due questionable Landeskog line change. Avs lose 3-2.

The coach's challenge was implemented because of Matt Duchene.

And you missed 2014 game 7 against Minnesota. Duchene returned to the lineup after missing games 1-5 with injury, and bumped MacKinnon down to second line minutes and second PP unit. Avs lose 5-4 in OT.

:sarcasm:

The trend continues

Reactions: dahrougem2

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The depth wasn’t there and with the uncertainty of Landy and Nuke there isn’t room to shift. You cannot exactly trade Moose either since you need some amount of high end skill and point production outside of MacKinnon. The poor drafting and player development is really rearing its ugly head. I would have Bednar on a short leash next season since outside of the Cup Run he has consistent problems adjusting in series. Let Duchene get to the finals and ball his eyes out when he watches the other team hoist the Cup.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
But MacKinnon is the guy and he's going to show it tonight. He's going to chase Heskainen and Tanev off the ice. Spoon in hand ready to dine on the finest of ass.
After starting the season with 35 straight home games with at least a point, MacKinnon got shut out in the last two home games of the season. Not great, Bob!

Reactions: The Moops

Zolik37

#1 Nate Guenin fan
Aug 17, 2011
The reason why this team most probably wont win a second cup is the amateur scouting. Look at Dalas I thought they'd be a bottom team when Benn, Seguin and Klingber age, but nope they just casually drafted legit players like Oettinger, Hintz, Robertson, Johnston and Harley in the later parts of the first round or in the 2round . Now imagine if Avs drafted at least one of them
- Oettinger instead of Kuemper and Georgiev + the assets we traded for them
- Hintzs as our 2c
- Johnston as the cheap elc depth scoring, etc.

Once Mackinnon and/or Makar are out of their prime we might as well do a roster firesale and tank again.

Reactions: Miri and PGW

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Once Mackinnon and/or Makar are out of their prime we might as well do a roster firesale and tank again.
Makar will be 28 when his deal expires,

By that time this team could allready be in the stage of "wildcard", if not even worse.

I doubt that Makar wants to go through this or entering a rebuild, to be honest.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The reason why this team most probably wont win a second cup is the amateur scouting. Look at Dalas I thought they'd be a bottom team when Benn, Seguin and Klingber age, but nope they just casually drafted legit players like Oettinger, Hintz, Robertson, Johnston and Harley in the later parts of the first round or in the 2round . Now imagine if Avs drafted at least one of them
- Hintzs as our 2c

We don't need to be Dallas level good at drafting, just better than what we currently are. Dallas is legit the best drafting team in the league, and it's not even particularly close. The Avs have been one of the worst.

Our pro-scouting on the other hand, has been very very good. So we just have to try to explore the trade market to find the pieces that we need.

Makar will be 28 when his deal expires,

By that time this team could allready be in the stage of "wildcard", if not even worse.
Lol, you are not going to be in a wild card race with Makar and MacKinnon, as long as you can assemble something better than the San Jose Sharks around them.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Lol, you are not going to be in a wild card race with Makar and MacKinnon, as long as you can assemble something better than the San Jose Sharks around them.

As long as you can.....

No one knows what will happen with Landeskog too. If Landy is no more or cannot play in the NHL anymore, oh boy, we saw first hand what happens without a real leader and captain.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
We don't need to be Dallas level good at drafting, just better than what we currently are. Dallas is legit the best drafting team in the league, and it's not even particularly close. The Avs have been one of the worst.

Our pro-scouting on the other hand, has been very very good. So we just have to try to explore the trade market to find the pieces that we need.

Third in the division with a best in his career season from MacK.

Landy is a wildcard. Nuke not coming back. No important players on the roster are getting better with their aging curves.

And most guys will be looking at raises soon. No huge boat anchor contracts they can dump to improve.

Cmac had one bullet. That was Byram. He fired it.

Unless Ritchie become a first line level player fast there's no reason to expect them to get better.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For all the talk of DeBoer “owning” Bednar in the playoffs, keep in mind in any of their matchups through the years, DeBoer has had BY FAR the superior goaltending. It’s not even a contest. Sure makes coaching easier when you know you have a goalie who can actually steal a game.

At least Bednar got one monkey off his back. Bowness got the better of him (though again, goaltending) in the Bubble and swept the Avs in the regular season but once the games really mattered, Bednar absolutely destroyed Bones.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For all the talk of DeBoer “owning” Bednar in the playoffs, keep in mind in any of their matchups through the years, DeBoer has had BY FAR the superior goaltending. It’s not even a contest. Sure makes coaching easier when you know you have a goalie who can actually steal a game.

At least Bednar got one monkey off his back. Bowness got the better of him (though again, goaltending) in the Bubble and swept the Avs in the regular season but once the games really mattered, Bednar absolutely destroyed Bones.
So PDB is also smarter than Bednar because he chose to coach a team with a better goalie?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
- Hintzs as our 2c

I would agree with this. At least with the part that Dallas success lies in their depth.

I mean, somehow they managed to draft in quality new players, that you named, that are now their top line, while at the same time keep their old top-line players (Seguin, Benn, Pavelski), and then on top of that bring in someone like Duchene on cheap contract. Or have Dadonov, who used to be 70 points player not so long ago.

While we tried to improve our bottom six with the likes of Colton, Wood and later Duhaime or Trenin, the fact remains, even if they are all decent players and improvement on our previous bottom six, they are still career bottom-six players. Whereas Dallas pretty much had the luxury to field former top-sixers on their bottom lines, and even if those players are not what they once were, they still havent fallen of the cliff, and addition to that, as they say, class is permanent. So when deciding who is more likely to score some sick snipe to win the game in a close match, with top-lines being taken out of the game by defense, i guess its no surprise its Jamie Benn and not any career third liner on Avs roster. Is it, what is it.

Our only chance to match them was to have our full-roster, including Nichuskin, Landeskog and even O´Connor, but it was not meant to be. Whether thats us being not lucky or management fault, i dont know.

I would not be surprised if they win it all now. Feels like their year. Only Florida can beat them IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

The progression of the series is where I think it is damning for Bednar more than anything else. Both the Vegas and Dallas' series were heavily tilted in the early game or games towards the Avs... but by the end of the series, it had tilted towards DeBoer in a pretty major way. The San Jose series went that direction too before the Avs made it a toss up in game 7. He simply knows how to push the Avs to the outside. It takes him a game or maybe slightly more to figure it out, but he always does.

In this series, he just forced the Avs to attack like Carolina. Keep the Avs out of the dangerous areas, push them to the outside, and let them have volume. Only in 1 game did the Avs have over 11 HDCF/60 and that was game 3. The others were 9.29, 9, 11, 11, and 5.23.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The progression of the series is where I think it is damning for Bednar more than anything else. Both the Vegas and Dallas' series were heavily tilted in the early game or games towards the Avs... but by the end of the series, it had tilted towards DeBoer in a pretty major way. The San Jose series went that direction too before the Avs made it a toss up in game 7. He simply knows how to push the Avs to the outside. It takes him a game or maybe slightly more to figure it out, but he always does.

In this series, he just forced the Avs to attack like Carolina. Keep the Avs out of the dangerous areas, push them to the outside, and let them have volume. Only in 1 game did the Avs have over 11 HDCF/60 and that was game 3. The others were 9.29, 9, 11, 11, and 5.23.
I would agree this series, I would disagree in the Vegas series. That team was done in by poor goaltending in games 5 and 6. They dictated play in both games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad