Series Talk: WCQF: Winnipeg Jets Vs. Colorado Avalanche (COL lead 3-1)

What's your prediction for the series result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The Avs gave up 16 scoring chances, 7 high danger chances, and 23 shots all game… there were some mistakes but that’s as good a recipe for success there is for a goalie.

Yeah, we can stare at numbers and xG all day if we want, but they don't mean anything unless you have context. And the context from last night is that all goals except one came as a result of poor defensive work. Then Georgiev sucks as well and as a team you should be able to rely on your goalie more than they could, but there's no reason to let the rest of the team of the hook just because Georgiev was terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
look at the Avs record with .900 goaltending and above vs. sub .900 goaltending. It's a pretty clear equation.

Yes, when the Avs give up chances they are usually of the high danger variety, but every team gives up a few of those a game. You need to have a goaltender that can stop at least 50-60% of those shots, not let every one in the back of the net. The goaltender is paid to stop the puck after all, you're really just asking him to do his job and pull his weight. Not every game is going to be a defensive masterpiece, especially in the playoffs.

The momentum shifts are huge. What's more is that not only has Georgiev lost all of his confidence, the team in front of him has lost it long ago as well, and that stuff creates nervous play, which is death in the playoffs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There are always trades available. But you might not want to wait until the deadline to do it.
Ah, well when you put it that way. Feel like you'd be a great candidate to become a GM. Should really give that advice to New Jersey - I doubt they thought about trying to upgrade their goalie at any point throughout the season.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I can feel it coming in the air tonight…..oh lord

1713871323405.gif

• Love
Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ah, well when you put it that way. Feel like you'd be a great candidate to become a GM. Should really give that advice to New Jersey - I doubt they thought about trying to upgrade their goalie at any point throughout the season.
It doesn’t take GM of the year to know that goaltending matters. Saying ‘but they’re expensive and unpredictable’ is flat out dumb. Countless clubs decided to gamble in goaltending and lost because of it.

Maybe the Avs will be good enough and maybe Georgiev turns it around. But it’s a dumb gamble to take. And you don’t need to be a GM to see that.

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What happened to the Bowness system of clogging up the neutral zone and slowing the Avs down? Right now the Jets have no answer for the Avs speed. The Avs are easily entering the zone and easy passes from D to forward with speed.

If Bowness doesn’t find a way to slow down the Avs, I think Avs win this in 5.

Hellebuyck needs a big game 3, he’s let in 10 goals in 2 games.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Colorado can’t bank on Helle putting up any more showings like that. I remember Vasi looked shaky at the start of the SCF matchup. Then it was a matter of the Avs stepping it up even if their goaltending doesn’t.

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
Gonna be a great series. Colorado showed up. Jets need to split on the road now

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Colorado can’t bank on Helle putting up any more showings like that. I remember Vasi looked shaky at the start of the SCF matchup. Then it was a matter of the Avs stepping it up even if their goaltending doesn’t.
? Helleybuyck was great tonight minus his one brainfart about playing the puck. Maybe you want him to stop the Manson breakaway but it was a nice finish by Josh. He was stonewalling Colorado early despite loads of pressure.

I have no doubt he can be better and pitch a perfect game but it's not like he's playing bad, I think this is the level you more or less hope for.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I just think the overall top talent of the Avs are going to take this series....the Jets cannot match that high end talent.....

Reactions: Team Bring It

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Avs looked like winners tonight. Very fast, very aggressive forecheck. Jets need to bring something different. But also hellebuyck needs to be elite, I'm not sure what the hell he was looking for back there but he didn't find it.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I have shit on Georgiev a lot, especially after game 1. He played great. What he did last night is what the Avalanche have been needing from him for a long time. He deserves praise when he plays well. Hopefully this continues.
Just watched the highlights and credits where its due, he was good. Even the goals werent the kind he could do much about. Long may his performances like this continue. Our chances for Cup basically hang on that - i am pretty confident we can otherwise match aĺ the other teams.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Expected the Avs to get swept after putting up 6 on the Jets but still losing. Takes some good leadership to recover from a loss like that. Credit to Georgie for being able to rebound from that and for his guys to keep believing in him. Impressive performance from top to bottom.

Read a lot about the depth of the Jets being so superior but TOI is not reflective of that so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad