Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Barely anyone picked Vancouver to even make the playoffs and most of our fans realize we are playing with house money at this point, pretty much the same for Nashville, how does one have more to lose than the other?

I don't think he's wrong.

Canucks won the division and will be the favourite. On top of that the Canadian media will add all sorts of extra drama and pressure on the team - it will be up to Tocchet to snuff out the noise.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Barely anyone picked Vancouver to even make the playoffs and most of our fans realize we are playing with house money at this point, pretty much the same for Nashville, how does one have more to lose than the other?

Vancouver had more of a magic carpet ride of a season early on. The expectations were more elevated for them over the bulk of the season.

Remember the whole PDO thing early on when Vancouver was thriving? They didn’t maintain their trajectory but they also didn’t have a severe crash as a mean regression.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
EA has spoken

IMG_1549.jpeg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Just to clarify, when you say "major adjustment period," do you mean at the start of the season or post-TDL?
During the offseason, the Preds got a new coach and new GM and replaced most of their top 6 (Duchene, Johansen, Granlund and Niederreiter out; Nyquist and O'Reilly in). It took at least the first half of the season for them to learn the new system and build chemistry.

Reactions: Softball99

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
During the offseason, the Preds got a new coach and new GM and replaced most of their top 6 (Duchene, Johansen, Granlund and Niederreiter out; Nyquist and O'Reilly in). It took at least the first half of the season for them to learn the new system and build chemistry.

I ask because the Canucks roster has undergone significant changes this year as well. Nearly half the players the Canucks will roll out against Nashville are new to the team this season. It's particularly noticeable on defense: only Hughes and Myers remain on D from last season*.

*I'm counting Hronek as new to the roster this season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I ask because the Canucks roster has undergone significant changes this year as well. Nearly half the players the Canucks will roll out against Nashville are new to the team this season. It's particularly noticeable on defense: only Hughes and Myers remain on D from last season*.

*I'm counting Hronek as new to the roster this season.
TBH for us its less about the player changes, although obviously it has an impact but more of the style of hockey being played. Its a complete 180 from what Hynes was trying to do. Schenn for instance struggled hard, and Hal Gill talked about it was because Brunette's system wants Dmen to play with certain foot work and he wasn't used to it.

On top of that I think it just took the guys that long to be able to play the system for 60 minutes. Its a full on attack and I think in the first few weeks of the season they just couldn't keep their legs under them. Once they did you could see it where there were some teams that would just flat run out of gas and get beat in the 3rd.

The point streak obviously requires a bit of luck, but their play during that stretch was relentless. I've never seen so many teams night in and night out just be frustrated and basically give up. It was interesting to watch once it clicked.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
You're exaggerating. There's always going to be extreme opinions of sweep or whatever this isn't Canuck fan exclusive.

Agreed going to be a good series. Hughes vs. Josi; Demko vs Saros are both compelling storylines.

Not exaggerating about the chest thumping from the fans I am interacting with or have recently interacted with.

I don’t think it’s generalized to the ENTIRE fan base, obviously, but it is occurring and I haven’t interacted with one fan here in the area that is giving the preds any respect. I’m not interacting with “every” fan but I haven’t spoken with one who is saying “we are in for a tough series”. I’m seeing blind confidence and claims of meeting the oilers in the second round or a clear “easy” path to the final. That’s not exaggeration that is a polite way of putting what I have heard from small groups of fans, out of their mouths…a variation of that train of thought occurred as most recently as 10 mins ago during a work side conversation

All I’m saying is those fans will be in for a rude awakening, in my opinion. Preds are legit and I think they have a very good shot at winning the series and I expect them to upset and win the series

(Maybe I’m wrong and canucks sweep the preds and the goading can continue)

Reactions: Fletch12

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
TBH for us its less about the player changes, although obviously it has an impact but more of the style of hockey being played. Its a complete 180 from what Hynes was trying to do. Schenn for instance struggled hard, and Hal Gill talked about it was because Brunette's system wants Dmen to play with certain foot work and he wasn't used to it.

On top of that I think it just took the guys that long to be able to play the system for 60 minutes. Its a full on attack and I think in the first few weeks of the season they just couldn't keep their legs under them. Once they did you could see it where there were some teams that would just flat run out of gas and get beat in the 3rd.

The point streak obviously requires a bit of luck, but their play during that stretch was relentless. I've never seen so many teams night in and night out just be frustrated and basically give up. It was interesting to watch once it clicked.
Yeah I get it. I said long ago that I thought Canucks management was expecting improvement to come from coaching and systems as much as it would come from personnel changes.

I was somewhat skeptical of the Tocchet hire at first, but I'm a believer now.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hard series to predict because both teams will have issues; on the Predators side it will be due to a lack of depth. Sure, their star players can match the Canucks stars pound for pound, but Vancouver is at least three lines deep with Joshua playing crazy good for the majority of the season. Hard to see wave after wave of Vancouver players with Nashville trying to shut that down, that is why I have Canucks winning in six. The Canucks problem and why I do not think they will go far and why I have Predators winning two games is due to their lack of experience. You simply cannot play the regular season like the playoffs, each mistake gets magnified and exacerbated by the other team. I watched this first-hand when the Avs struggled to get past the second round and kept making these naive mistakes. That is what I suspect from the Nucks this year, mistakes and learning lessons, but should have enough talent to power through Saros and the rest of the Preds. They should bow out to a more experienced driven team.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I have a feeling that the Canucks have cruised a bit since clinching. If not then they will be in big trouble. It is hard to know what they will look like in the play-offs.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
IF the powerplay for vancouver becomes a weapon for them to take over a game they will win the series. besides goaltending and scoring from their top 6 fowards. their bottom 6 will eventually be the x factor in this series. nashville wins IF, saros stands on his head, forsberg nyqvist goes beastmode. ror shuts down miller/petey lines.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Nucks win this if they play their A game, but if they don’t Preds could surprise some people

Reactions: Summer Rose

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Even if you accept the premise that there's more pressure on the Canucks, who cares? These guys have been dealing with pressure since they became teenagers if not before. A pointless, fan-invented narrative that means nothing.
edit: just to stay on topic, Canucks in 5 assuming EP and Boeser show up, 50/50 series otherwise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad