Vancouver def. Nashville 5-2

December 19, 2023
Vancouver def. Nashville - 5-2

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I've been here for every peak and valley since the early 90s. I became a moderator here in 2009 - I moderated the 2011 Cup Run, and I moderated the decade of Jim Benning. I've watched every televised game I can in the good times and the bad.

Getting back into the post season is very, very sweet to me - my two boys have largely grown up not really knowing this team to have any success. I'm excited to share it with them, and I hope we have some good wins to create some good memories...and that the boards don't get too crazy for me to moderate. :laugh:

I moderated the finals against the Bruins. The rest of you were at playoff parties or in the bar avoiding the shitshow that took place here after the riot. I've never felt so alone. :laugh:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Decided to look at every playoff team's record against the other playoff teams. The results were kind of surprising. Also, probably none of this matters.

Western Conference

Canucks:
23-14-3

Predators:
19-19-2

Jets:
21-15-3

Avalanche:
19-15-3

Oilers:
18-18-3

Kings:
15-17-7

Stars:
19-14-7

Golden Knights:
21-15-2

Eastern Conference

Rangers:
21-16-1

Capitals:
15-17-9

Hurricanes:
19-16-4

Islanders:
18-14-7

Panthers:
21-14-4

Lightning:
21-14-3

Bruins:
23-9-8

Maple Leafs:
19-14-6

In Order
Bruins:
23-9-8

Canucks:
23-14-3

Lightning:
21-14-3

Panthers:
21-14-4

Golden Knights:
21-15-2

Rangers:
21-16-1

Jets:
21-15-3

Maple Leafs:
19-14-6

Stars:
19-14-7

Avalanche:
19-15-3

Hurricanes:
19-16-4

Islanders:
18-14-7

Predators:
19-19-2

Oilers:
18-18-3

Capitals:
15-17-9

Kings:
15-17-7

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Pretty similar to me, but without the moderating. Although I was more mid-to-late 90s, and recall really getting into the team when Naslund was captain although I watched the earlier 90s games with my dad quite often (although not appreciating it on the same level). Your timeline suggests you are very old, like over 40. Super old. I am 38, much younger.

EDIT: I recall the excitement in 2001 after several years of missing, and that playoff run was my first playoff run at an age where I could actually appreciate it (15). I think we played Colorado and were swept, but everyone seemed very proud of the boys, and I recall them actually playing Colorado quite well despite the sweep. Good memories.

:laugh:

I am actually 39 (turning 40 this year). I went to my first Canucks game on October 19, 1991 for my 7th birthday - watching Gino Odjick score on a penalty shot is etched into my brain, as my Dad had to hoist me and my friend (who came along because it was my birthday) onto his shoulders so we could see because everyone in the building was standing up. I had been a Gretzky fan to that point - Oilers, Kings (I owned two VHS tapes - Wayne Gretzky: Above and Beyond, and the Blades of Summer: 1987 Canada Cup Highlights, and I burned them both out replaying them so much) - but that game made me a Canucks fan forever more. Of course "Pavelmania" started only a few weeks later which just helped to seal the deal.

I moderated the finals against the Bruins. The rest of you were at playoff parties or in the bar avoiding the shitshow that took place here after the riot. I've never felt so alone. :laugh:

I actually have a good reason for being MIA that night - my sister and a good chunk of my cousins had gone downtown to watch the game on outdoor screen. When the bright sparks in the city shut down the skytrains as the riot began, they all became stranded downtown with virtually no way out. We were all texting and calling back and forth trying to find them save avenues out of the area as the police moved in. The last of my cousins confirmed they'd gotten to safety shortly after midnight, at which point I hit the pillow hard.

I still maintain that the busiest series I ever had to moderate was the Canucks and the Kings in 2010. The amount of Kings fans that invaded our board to troll was staggering - and unfortunately, we dropped the ban hammer on a number of Canuck fans for some horrifically racist comments towards one of the Kings' players.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
that simulation probably produced a WCF for the ages

also, Dallas getting dusted in 6 after finishing 1st in the conference would be funny

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Just a heads up, tickets are slowly going down for game one, that being said, I expect them to raise drastically the closer we get to the game, so this might be the last chance to get some.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not even gonna lie, our team is pretty similar to the 2011 bruins.

Quinn Hughes > all
Miller and Bergeron.
Petey and Krejci.
Hoglander and Marchand.
Joshua and Horton (definitely a big difference here)
Ryder and Boeser
Bruins Recchi and Garland
McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg = Zadorov, Soucy, Hronek.
Myers and Chara (jk)
Lindholm and Peverley
Campbell and Suter
Blueger and Kelly
Cole and Ference

We’re actually a much bigger team than them. Lucic is really the only type of player we’re missing. And who knows if Demko is capable of being remotely close to our Tim Thomas. That said, we have a Quinn Hughes on our team.

I think we’ll surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
First home playoff game since the spring of 2015.....hard to fathom it's been that long. If a long playoff run is in the cards, hopefully no hangover from the seventh game in 2011.....stay classy Vancouver.

Reactions: David71 and alicia

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Actually kind of nice to have a good deep team but have no one picking us. Having the weight of expectation on 2011 etc eventually got to them but they probably play freer without the noise

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Well, I'm older than dirt, so I've been on the Canuck roller coaster from the start. We DID manage to get to 3 Cup finals over those years. 1982 was totally unexpected. I was an STH then, got to see the beautiful Cup live in Pacific arena presented to that great Islanders team.

1994 and 2011, especially the latter, were the heartbreakers. Both game 7s. So close.

I kept hangin' in because of our young core - Demko, Boeser, Petey, Hughes - and Miller. Their play in the Bubble gave me hope for the future. Thrilled to be seeing them still together for their first playoff round on home ice.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think the Canucks will have to exploit their advantage over the Preds down the middle. Having Miller-Petey-Lindholm-Bleuger down the middle should let RT roll 4 lines and keep the top guys all fresh.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are operating with 'house money'. Nobody predicted they'd be here, including just about every member of the media mafia in the East. But here they are.

Just goes to show what a solid management team and a no-nonsense, committed coaching staff can accomplish in just a couple of seasons. Everybody knew Hughes, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser and Demko were special players.

But it's the way they've infilled the roster with character, depth players who all play the same way. And until management blew the wad, so to speak, on Lindholm and Zadorov from Calgary, most of this roster has been assembled on the cheap, with affordable, short-term contracts.

Can't see any way Allvin isn't the GM of the year; and Tocchet the coach of the year in the NHL.

Reactions: DFAC

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I’m not even gonna lie, our team is pretty similar to the 2011 bruins.

Quinn Hughes > all
Miller and Bergeron.
Petey and Krejci.
Hoglander and Marchand.
Joshua and Horton (definitely a big difference here)
Ryder and Boeser
Bruins Recchi and Garland
McQuaid, Boychuk, Seidenberg = Zadorov, Soucy, Hronek.
Myers and Chara (jk)
Lindholm and Peverley
Campbell and Suter
Blueger and Kelly
Cole and Ference

We’re actually a much bigger team than them. Lucic is really the only type of player we’re missing. And who knows if Demko is capable of being remotely close to our Tim Thomas. That said, we have a Quinn Hughes on our team.

I think we’ll surprise a lot of people.
Their biggest strengths were almost no significant injuries and heavily biased reffing. We aren't going to get either of those, at least not in our favour.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Their biggest strengths were almost no significant injuries and heavily biased reffing. We aren't going to get either of those, at least not in our favour.

You forgot less KM's traveled in their entire cup run up to the finals than the Canucks traveled in the Nashville series

Reactions: Nucker101

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
nashville have always had a version of the same team haha. forsberg is the new legwand, but better. josi and ekholm were the new suter and weber, now it's just josi and the skeleton of mcdonagh. always a top-5 goalie. high end, yearly adams contending coach.

our best players have to be better than their best players, but much more importantly we need our depth guys to perform. there is no excuse for getting run over by gustav nyquist and cody glass.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad