GDT: WCQF Vancouver at Predators, Joshua Tree vs The Cult. Friday, April 26, 4:30 PM Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I mean I dunno about the salaries AHL goalies get in Europe but I imagine the best thing for him would be to stay in North America and work his way up to NHL starter for that pay cheque. His upside is likely higher than Casey's but he hasn't exactly proven it yet.
To me it makes perfect sense; DeSmith is a fine backup but he's one of a seemingly endless line of career backups that we have employed over the years. His NHL days are numbered. Silovs on the other hand is a prospect who is still young but has experienced pressure cooker hockey at the highest possible level for a guy like him so far in his career. Both goalies played well this year and both faltered when the team played like ass. DeSmith was awful last game, playing .800. Silovs might not move the needle at all but if he gets unconscious for a few weeks it could be a very wild ride. But first we actually have to play him and playing him now, with the series tied, is IMHO the only way to go. I trust the Canucks will play CDS again and lose and will only try Silovs out when they are facing elimination which would suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
If you go to Silovs now, it would be pretty awkward going back to deSmith. deSmith is 32 and Silovs just turned 23. You have to ride deSmith. Expecting a guy with 9 regular season starts in his career to carry the load is too much of an ask imo.

I kind of get this, but mostly disagree. This makes sense if you had a more clear cut 'number 1' between the two. But I don't think one option is way better than the other, and you gave DeSmith the first kick at the can and he was bad. I think it would be fine going with Silovs. If he's bad tomorrow, you go back with DeSmith. Lots of teams have goalie tandems and going back and forth after losses/bad games isn't an issue.

Demko traveling can mean one of three things:

• It's a good sign, he's able to travel, and doesn't need to do anything but rest
  • It's a bad sign, there's no reason to rehab in Vancouver because he won't recover regardless
  • It's nothing, no reason to read into it, he just wants to be with his teammates

I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

I think the only thing it truly means is that he didn't/doesn't need immediate surgery, which is positive, and wants to stay with the team (not surprising).

it took Demko 5 weeks to recover from the last knee injury, I imagine the timeline for the latest one would be similar? The thing is, you may be jeopardizing next season as well if you rush Demko back this post season..
Whelp, did he really recover? Using the last timeframe as a reference may be a bit dubious.

DeSmith and Silovs are the same goalie. Only real difference is that Silovs is taller. They both are jittery that pull themselves out of position by over-committing. If DeSmith has a good game then he'll keep playing until he doesn't. If he as an average or bad game then Silovs will be in net on Sunday.

It's not like the Canucks have some secret saviour they are refusing to play.
I agree that, this year, each has been pretty average, or even bad, and DeSmith has the edge on SVP (which would look a lot better without that Minnesota game). But Silovs is much younger and at least has the potential to have a leap in development. And in addition, Silovs has proven that he can get hot in big pressure games over a short period. Overall, I would just be rotating them in and out after each bad game or loss. If you win you stay in.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
To me it makes perfect sense; DeSmith is a fine backup but he's one of a seemingly endless line of career backups that we have employed over the years. His NHL days are numbered. Silovs on the other hand is a prospect who is still young but has experienced pressure cooker hockey at the highest possible level for a guy like him so far in his career. Both goalies played well this year and both faltered when the team played like ass. DeSmith was awful last game, playing .800. Silovs might not move the needle at all but if he gets unconscious for a few weeks it could be a very wild ride. But first we actually have to play him and playing him now, with the series tied, is IMHO the only way to go. I trust the Canucks will play CDS again and lose and will only try Silovs out when they are facing elimination which would suck. I hope I'm wrong.

What happens if Silovs shits the bed and the team turns back to Desmith, who now knows the team doesn't have confidence in him?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I am sorry but this bad take you can’t possibly ask a goalie to make that save. The first goal that Demko gave up was worse no one said anything.

Sorry... but even our local goalie expert @mossey3535 agreed with me... you can read what he said in the PGT. There is one thing it being a nice shot... but he completely miss played, and gave himself no chance at it.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We are not having DeSmith playing again, are we? Please tell me no, we might as well have an empty net.
Seriously...?

As soon as Demko went down, and the team responded by only scoring a single goal while DeSmith covered for him...Let's all start shitting on DeSmith..?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Seriously...?

As soon as Demko went down, and the team responded by only scoring a single goal while DeSmith covered for him...Let's all start shitting on DeSmith..?

The team in front of him wasn't good enough... sure no problem with that... That doesn't mean he was good enough either though.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I watched the replay of game 2 yesterday and quite honestly, Hronek is so goddamn atrocious with his decision making.

I’m not even gonna bother talking about the boneheaded play he made back to the point on the empty net against.

On the very first goal, he chases the puck as it’s rimmed around and Pettersson gets beaten to the puck. Hronek pauses for a moment and sees Beauvillier cut infront, and makes such a piss poor effort tying him up that Beauvillier is able to get one of the wackiest tip shots I’ve ever seen. His ability to track his man is terrible.

So many times he lets his man get a complete uncontested shot off and it’s infuriating. His gap control and his spacing is just so off.
IMG_6251.jpeg

IMG_6248.jpeg

Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, and to an extent Juulsen have good to brilliant levels of gap closing and positioning and it’s rare for them to simply let a clean shot off net. Hughes locks his man down and is able to stay infront of his man which is another brilliant way of being able to get infront of the attacker. Hronek? He holds this weird perpendicular angle to the net that quite literally blocks his goaltenders vision and has his entire body turned towards the boards, unable to leverage his stick or body to box or move his attacker to the perimeter, instead allowing his attacker to simply either drive the net or get a clean shot off, in this instance an attacker on his off f***ing side.

His shot selections at the point are bizarre and often get blocked as he has no sort of accuracy to his shot whatsoever. His Hail Mary stretch passes we’ve seen over the course of the season are easily read and neutralized.

In my eyes, he’s not worth the long term investment. Too many defensive flaws.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I watched the replay of game 2 yesterday and quite honestly, Hronek is so goddamn atrocious with his decision making.

I’m not even gonna bother talking about the boneheaded play he made back to the point on the empty net against.

On the very first goal, he chases the puck as it’s rimmed around and Pettersson gets beaten to the puck. Hronek pauses for a moment and sees Beauvillier cut infront, and makes such a piss poor effort tying him up that Beauvillier is able to get one of the wackiest tip shots I’ve ever seen. His ability to track his man is terrible.

So many times he lets his man get a complete uncontested shot off and it’s infuriating. His gap control and his spacing is just so off.
View attachment 859542
View attachment 859543
Soucy, Zadorov, Myers, and to an extent Juulsen have good to brilliant levels of gap closing and positioning and it’s rare for them to simply let a clean shot off net. Hughes locks his man down and is able to stay infront of his man which is another brilliant way of being able to get infront of the attacker. Hronek? He holds this weird perpendicular angle to the net that quite literally blocks his goaltenders vision and has his entire body turned towards the boards, unable to leverage his stick or body to box or move his attacker to the perimeter, instead allowing his attacker to simply either drive the net or get a clean shot off, in this instance an attacker on his off f***ing side.

His shot selections at the point are bizarre and often get blocked as he has no sort of accuracy to his shot whatsoever. His Hail Mary stretch passes we’ve seen over the course of the season are easily read and neutralized.

In my eyes, he’s not worth the long term investment. Too many defensive flaws.
On the second point (here), it's actually difficult for Hronek to know that Garland is already back there (and Garland clearly doesn't communicate that) so he has to play both Forsberg and Nyquist and does a pretty good job of it because Forsberg has to shoot from the top of the circle.

On the first goal, I don't know how you blame Hronek for that one. I think there are better examples of him making a bad defensive play (notably in one of the LA games, he somehow ended up behind the puck carrier after trying to go for a hit), but Hughes blew a tire, Pettersson had the angle on the puck and somehow got outworked by Beauvilier of all people, and DeSmith completely lost his net. Blaming Hronek for not tying up a guy high slot isn't really fair.

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Keys to the game:

-Will have to survive early onslaught from the Preds, and rocking crowd

-The PP has to convert..It’s currently not working

- EP has been anonymous..Your star players have to be your best players…It’s the top 5% of NHL players that can impact a game..He is in that category.

- Low shot totals are a characteristic of this series..Preds are blocking everything..Canucks have to find a way to create more havoc around the net….Peripheral play won’t get the job done.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This plan of getting crippled with illnesses and injuries in the playoffs suck.

Different plan next year:
Sustain injuries before the All Star Break....
LTIR everyone.
Do trades.
Everyone gets healthy for Game 1.
Profit.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Ah the highs and lows of being a Canuck fan.... from the euphoria after game 1 to now the feeling of..... bleh.

Just can't see us making a deep run without Demko, poor special teams and an underperforming top 6. Sigh. Kinda seems like the whole city is just deflated now

Reactions: kanucks25

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Ah the highs and lows of being a Canuck fan.... from the euphoria after game 1 to now the feeling of..... bleh.

Just can't see us making a deep run without Demko, poor special teams and an underperforming top 6. Sigh. Kinda seems like the whole city is just deflated now

True, with Demko out we basically need the other areas to pick it up. Accept that we'll likely give up at least 2 goals a game (more likely 3 or more), which means the PP/PK become all that more important.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I would say there's a general feeling of dread amongst the fanbase. It literally feels like we are down 1-3 in the series and are just riding out the wave. Expectations are very low this time around.

There's still a tiny hope in hell that things align our way. Just need to beat Nashville and see what happens.

Best path forward. Jets knock out Avs and then knock out the Golden Knights. Kings knock out the Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFAC

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This plan of getting crippled with illnesses and injuries in the playoffs suck.

Different plan next year:
Sustain injuries before the All Star Break....
LTIR everyone.
Do trades.
Everyone gets healthy for Game 1.
Profit.

Canucks Current play... exact opposite of Vegas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad