GDT: WCQF Vancouver at Predators, Joshua Tree vs The Cult. Friday, April 26, 4:30 PM Pacific Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If we happen to make it to the Conf finals with DeSmith, would you even put Demko back in when he's ready? It must mean that DeSmith has been playing well to get us that far.

• Haha
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If we happen to make it to the Conf finals with DeSmith, would you even put Demko back in when he's ready? It must mean that DeSmith has been playing well to get us that far.
it took Demko 5 weeks to recover from the last knee injury, I imagine the timeline for the latest one would be similar? The thing is, you may be jeopardizing next season as well if you rush Demko back this post season..

Reactions: supercanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
DeSmith and Silovs are the same goalie. Only real difference is that Silovs is taller. They both are jittery that pull themselves out of position by over-committing. If DeSmith has a good game then he'll keep playing until he doesn't. If he as an average or bad game then Silovs will be in net on Sunday.

It's not like the Canucks have some secret saviour they are refusing to play.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Demko traveling can mean one of three things:

• It's a good sign, he's able to travel, and doesn't need to do anything but rest
  • It's a bad sign, there's no reason to rehab in Vancouver because he won't recover regardless
  • It's nothing, no reason to read into it, he just wants to be with his teammates

I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.
Realistically it’s the third point. Makes sense for him to want to be there for the boys and DeSmith.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Demko traveling can mean one of three things:

• It's a good sign, he's able to travel, and doesn't need to do anything but rest
  • It's a bad sign, there's no reason to rehab in Vancouver because he won't recover regardless
  • It's nothing, no reason to read into it, he just wants to be with his teammates

I say this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.
I'll plant my tongue firmly in your cheek.

• Wow
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
DeSmith and Silovs are the same goalie. Only real difference is that Silovs is taller. They both are jittery that pull themselves out of position by over-committing. If DeSmith has a good game then he'll keep playing until he doesn't. If he as an average or bad game then Silovs will be in net on Sunday.

It's not like the Canucks have some secret saviour they are refusing to play.
I really don’t get the obsession with Silovs. He’s looked shaky and unpredictable to me. Not some massive upgrade over DeSmith. Both options frankly suck but it’s the cards we’ve been dealt.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
We are not having DeSmith playing again, are we? Please tell me no, we might as well have an empty net.
People need to chill with the DeSmith criticism he let in 3 goals not 6. The Forsberg goals was unstoppable you are going to let a 48 goal scorer walk in like that good luck. The first goal was bad, the third goal should he have done better job with the rebound but ultimately Petey lost the battle to the lose puck. Which is why they scored, if Petey wins the a battle then they don’t score simple as that.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I really don’t get the obsession with Silovs. He’s looked shaky and unpredictable to me. Not some massive upgrade over DeSmith. Both options frankly suck but it’s the cards we’ve been dealt.

His performance at the 2023 WHC was spectacular. This video shows a brief compilation of some of the saves he made.

With DeSmith, you know what you are getting. Silovs has had a rather mediocre season at the AHL level, but there's a tiny shred of hope that he can recapture the magic from the 2023 World Hockey Championships.

I think we are screwed either way.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Silovs sucks and everybody asking for him is reminding me of when everyone was thinking spencer martin was a good backup because he won games even though he looked terrible in them
Silovs had, what, one bad game while Demko was out? He has excelled in high pressure situations (WHC). He is also, as we speak, our goalie of the future. Play him or we are doomed. Seriously, it is my humble opinion that if we play DeSmith and he flails again we lose the series no matter who plays the rest of the way. If Tocchet plays Silovs and tells him to channel his WHC game we just might catch lightning in a bottle. Worth a try at least. If we go down with Silovs sitting on the bench the whole time they might as well trade him. If I were him I would ask for it.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
He could go to Europe and become a millionaire.

I mean I dunno about the salaries AHL goalies get in Europe but I imagine the best thing for him would be to stay in North America and work his way up to NHL starter for that pay cheque. His upside is likely higher than Casey's but he hasn't exactly proven it yet.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
People need to chill with the DeSmith criticism he let in 3 goals not 6. The Forsberg goals was unstoppable you are going to let a 48 goal scorer walk in like that good luck. The first goal was bad, the third goal should he have done better job with the rebound but ultimately Petey lost the battle to the lose puck. Which is why they scored, if Petey wins the a battle then they don’t score simple as that.

3 goals on 12 shots... and all three goals were garbage.

First one he was lunging way out of position. the deflection is up high and he should have a ton of time to react but he doesn't because he put himself way out of position.

Forsberg is a great goal scorer. Its a tough save... but he gives himself no chance by again putting himself and committing one way.

3rd Goal.. Petey made two bad plays no doubt... but that is a puck that should be absorbed and there is no reason for it to bounce out like it did. Bantam Goalies absorb that puck and there is no rebound.

He wasn't good. I hope he can bounce back... I think he is a fine backup, but a bad starter... its actually why I lean Silvos. I try split the starts... unless one guy is red hot.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Regardless of what happens this playoffs, i think that Canucks will move to a Boston type goalie system next year.

41 games for Demko MAX in the regular season. get a backup or play Silovs 41 game and make it work. What'sthe point of having a good regular season when the goalie cant play the playoffs.

Reactions: Red

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I need someone to explain the following to me because it looks like amateur bullshit.

Pretty common. Happens all the time in Europe on game days or practices for soccer.

Players get ready at the hotel for practice, bus picks the players up, players head to the facility and put their skates on. Nothing wrong here.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Silovs had, what, one bad game while Demko was out? He has excelled in high pressure situations (WHC). He is also, as we speak, our goalie of the future. Play him or we are doomed. Seriously, it is my humble opinion that if we play DeSmith and he flails again we lose the series no matter who plays the rest of the way. If Tocchet plays Silovs and tells him to channel his WHC game we just might catch lightning in a bottle. Worth a try at least. If we go down with Silovs sitting on the bench the whole time they might as well trade him. If I were him I would ask for it.
Silovs was horrible and the team generally won in spite of him.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
3 goals on 12 shots... and all three goals were garbage.

First one he was lunging way out of position. the deflection is up high and he should have a ton of time to react but he doesn't because he put himself way out of position.

Forsberg is a great goal scorer. Its a tough save... but he gives himself no chance by again putting himself and committing one way.

3rd Goal.. Petey made two bad plays no doubt... but that is a puck that should be absorbed and there is no reason for it to bounce out like it did. Bantam Goalies absorb that puck and there is no rebound.

He wasn't good. I hope he can bounce back... I think he is a fine backup, but a bad starter... its actually why I lean Silvos. I try split the starts... unless one guy is red hot.
I am sorry but this bad take you can’t possibly ask a goalie to make that save. The first goal that Demko gave up was worse no one said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad